Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Some challengers to Robert Duran's Title as ATG Lightweight

I personally have Duran as number 1, but there are 3 fighters that I really think could've him major problems at Lightweight

Joe Gans
    Benny Leonard
    Julio Cesar Chavez

Do any of these have a claim to be number 1 or could they have beaten Duran?

P.S I didn't include Sweet P, as he fought at Lightweight in his early fights.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

ICB Guest

Default Re: Some challengers to Robert Duran's Title as ATG Lightweight

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    I personally have Duran as number 1, but there are 3 fighters that I really think could've him major problems at Lightweight

Joe Gans
    Benny Leonard
    Julio Cesar Chavez

I believe Pernell Whitaker would of beat Roberto Duran, you say his early fights were at Lightweight. But he beat some very good pressure fighters at Lightweight Jose Luis Ramirez, Azumah Nelson, Greg Haugen.

And he beat all 3 of them pretty comfortably, even Azumah Nelson lost 8 rounds to 4 on my card. I think Roberto Duran would of been so frustrated by Pernell Whitaker's defense.

And even if Roberto Duran tried to swarm Pernell Whitaker, Pernell Whitaker had a very high workrate himself at Lightweight. Plus he had a very good chin.

As for some more fighters that could of beaten him at Lightweight.

Alexis Arguello
    Shane Mosley
    Floyd Mayweather Jr
    ODLH

And maybe a prime Hector Camacho, although that might be reaching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow!! Sorry but no way I agree with those picks.

There is no way in hell Camacho would beat Duran at lightweight. Camacho-Duran would look worse that Chavez-Camacho.

As much as I love Alexis Arguello he would be way under sized for Duran at Lightweight. Duran was knocking out middle weights and super middleweights even at the end of his career. Duran was a murderous punch and a brilliant boxer.

Shane Mosley, Floyd Mayweather Jr & Oscar didn't have the punch at 135 to dent Duran chin so he wouldn't respect there power. Shane would come the closest but still I don't see him beating Roberto.

Besides the greatest lightweight of all time was Benny Leonard. Ray Arcel trained both fighters during there primes and he said Benny was the better boxer and would have beaten Duran. I agree SweetPea would have also beaten Duran.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At lightweight Pernell Whitaker had the syle to beat any fighter in history.
    Balls

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post

Joe Gans
    Benny Leonard
    Julio Cesar Chavez

They would be challengers. But that's it. Duran is number 1 for me at Lightweight

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jdonaher1 View Post

There is no way in hell Camacho would beat Duran at lightweight. Camacho-Duran would look worse that Chavez-Camacho.

As much as I love Alexis Arguello he would be way under sized for Duran at Lightweight. Duran was knocking out middle weights and super middleweights even at the end of his career. Duran was a murderous punch and a brilliant boxer.

Shane Mosley, Floyd Mayweather Jr & Oscar didn't have the punch at 135 to dent Duran chin so he wouldn't respect there power. Shane would come the closest but still I don't see him beating Roberto.

Besides the greatest lightweight of all time was Benny Leonard. Ray Arcel trained both fighters during there primes and he said Benny was the better boxer and would have beaten Duran. I agree SweetPea would have also beaten Duran.
    I never said Hector Camacho would beat Robero Duran, i was just throwing some names out there that would of gave him a good fight. I don't think he would of beat Roberto Duran, but i do think a prime Hector Camacho gives him fits for atleast 6 rounds.

However i disagree that fighters like ODLH, Floyd Mayweather, Alexis Arguello, Shane Mosley. Wouldn't of beat Roberto Duran or atleast wouldn't of had a great chance.

Alexis Arguello was still fantastic at Lightweight, and i don't see him being undersized at all. He was a fantastic puncher who was great at fighting at mid/long distance. And he still showed that at Lightweight.

ODLH didn't have power at Lightweight ? sorry bro but you gotta be kidding me there. He was a great puncher at the lower weightclasses, and only one opponent went the distance with him at Lightweight, plus he would of had the size advantage and the speed advantage.

Floyd Mayweather Jr may not have been a great puncher, but he still had some pop at the lower weightclasses, and Floyd Mayweather Jr like Pernell Whitaker don't need power to beat Roberto Duran. They can both possibly outbox Roberto Duran, Pernell Whitaker with his unorthodox defensive abilities, and Floyd Mayweather Jr with his technical defensive abilities.

And lastly Shane Mosley was just unbelievable fast, at Lightweight with great punching power to go with it. I wouldn't be suprised if Shane Mosley floored Roberto Duran and beat him over the distance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar was just a kid when he fought at Lightweight and was not anywhere near the complete fighter he became at Welterweight. He was a one handed fighter at Lightweight and fought a lot of Jr. Lightweights coming up for a payday. He was dropped a few times by club fighters as well.

Floyd only had a few fights at Lightweight and one of them he lost IMO (1st fight with Castillio). If he couldn't handle Castillios pressure how is he gonna deal with Durans?

Like I said Mosley is the guy who comes closest. He's never been KO'd so he's got the chin, he was still throwing combo's at 135, was an excellent boxer and always came to fight. He comes closest. If they fight a best of five I say it's 2-2-1 with all fights close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

I never said Hector Camacho would beat Robero Duran, i was just throwing some names out there that would of gave him a good fight. I don't think he would of beat Roberto Duran, but i do think a prime Hector Camacho gives him fits for atleast 6 rounds.

However i disagree that fighters like ODLH, Floyd Mayweather, Alexis Arguello, Shane Mosley. Wouldn't of beat Roberto Duran or atleast wouldn't of had a great chance.

Alexis Arguello was still fantastic at Lightweight, and i don't see him being undersized at all. He was a fantastic puncher who was great at fighting at mid/long distance. And he still showed that at Lightweight.

ODLH didn't have power at Lightweight ? sorry bro but you gotta be kidding me there. He was a great puncher at the lower weightclasses, and only one opponent went the distance with him at Lightweight, plus he would of had the size advantage and the speed advantage.

Floyd Mayweather Jr may not have been a great puncher, but he still had some pop at the lower weightclasses, and Floyd Mayweather Jr like Pernell Whitaker don't need power to beat Roberto Duran. They can both possibly outbox Roberto Duran, Pernell Whitaker with his unorthodox defensive abilities, and Floyd Mayweather Jr with his technical defensive abilities.

And lastly Shane Mosley was just unbelievable fast, at Lightweight with great punching power to go with it. I wouldn't be suprised if Shane Mosley floored Roberto Duran and beat him over the distance.
    I think Duran would have been a little too much for Arguello, Chavez, and Mosley. IMO Mosley looked great at LW, but I think he would have had a ton of problems with a pressure fighter like DUran, who would not allow him to get off. Not only that but Duran isn't a super easy guy to hit cleanly, the big advantages over Chavez that he had were in the speed and outboxing department.

I think Mayweather-Duran would have been a great fight, Mayweather had such great speed at LW, and used footwork more than Whitaker. I see him staying away ala Leonard, and never comitting against Duran, I think he would win a close fight where neither guy is super effective(think Leonard-Duran II).

Whitaker-DUran: I am 50/50 with this one. I think if Whitaker could keep the fight at distance he would be ok, but if Duran found a way to smother him, I think then Pernell is in serious trouble, Duran is so effective on the inside, I don't think Pernell's defensive style is as effective when fighting a guy like DUran, all that being said, Pernell is Pernell and he is a true wildcard, I could also see him frustrating Duran with the jab and his defensive tactics on the outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar was just a kid when he fought at Lightweight and was not anywhere near the complete fighter he became at Welterweight. He was a one handed fighter at Lightweight and fought a lot of Jr. Lightweights coming up for a payday. He was dropped a few times by club fighters as well.

Floyd only had a few fights at Lightweight and one of them he lost IMO (1st fight with Castillio). If he couldn't handle Castillios pressure how is he gonna deal with Durans?

Like I said Mosley is the guy who comes closest. He's never been KO'd so he's got the chin, he was still throwing combo's at 135, was an excellent boxer and always came to fight. He comes closest. If they fight a best of five I say it's 2-2-1 with all fights close.
    Castillo didn't apply the kind of pressure Floyd likes, he loves when you come in throwing punches, which DUran does, Castillo didn't do that, he came with a little head movement and let FLoyd back up into the ropes before he would throw his punches. I think Mayweather as he showed agianst Hatton deals with hungrier pressure better than slow methodical pressure.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The ring mag did a review of the LW's in 1987 and they had Benny Leonard top with Duran second.
    I dont think Alexis would have beaten Duran , Duran for me TKO's him late.
    Sweetpea outpoints Duran UD .
    Suger Shane outpoints him MD.
    But these are all opinions , im happy for anyone to disagree as these are all fantastic fighters.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shane knocked out all but two opponents. And Duran is probably second most overrated fighter in history IMO. Sweet pea and Shane would kick the shit out of Duran. And floyd would circle and and out box him.

I really don't give passes to the old guys just because they were good first. Duran was good. But Sweet Pea, SHane, and Floyd were and are better boxers than he was.
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

El Kabong Guest

I think Duran could have beaten the majority of great lightweights...I think even Sweet Pea would have gotten outworked, could have been close, but Duran had very underrated defense.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benny Leonard was supposed to be like a cat, could not hit him and had tremendous skill. There were other great lightweights Joe Gans, Barney Ross, Henry Armstrong, Beau Jack, Bob Montgomery, Joe Brown, solid fighters that would give Duran a good contest.

ODH would not be ready for Duran but Mosley and Mayweather would give it a good go, only Pernell Whitaker could possibly beat him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pernell stands out,stylistically he could give Duran shite fits.Love Mosley but honestly don't think we really saw the very best he could be at Lightweight,in terms of big fights and true adversity ....Molina and Leija good scalps but I think Duran could nullify his combination puching...keep him standing still.....Duran vs. Wolgast might have been x rated

Marquez and Duran at light.fun stuff.Maybe a case of both on opposite ends.Duran may just cut him up?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only Film of Leanord was when He made a comback after 10 years out of the Game, even then He was impressive. Terrific posture and could Hit, at His peak a handfull for anyone, Great Fighter.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information