Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How Old is Too Old?

I will be 56 in a month. I am 6'3" and weigh 290 and want to get in shape. I am in decent health and have worked out off and on for 6 years. Lowest weight was 255. Felt and looked great. I joined a fitness club and have signed up for 3, 1 hour training sessions with a boxing trainer. He had a brief professional career - Morris Eason. i loved the first 2 workouts. I know next to nothing about the sport. But I feel this urge to know more and want to feel what it is like to be in the ring. I have never pushed myself to anything. I like the trainer, we help each other. Workouts are timed like a match - 3 minutes of work, 1 minute rest. I have this fantasy of being is really good shape, going to a gym and having a match someday with another beginner. I am not saying anything to anyone (family, etc.). Someday in the future, I want to invite them to my first bout and shock them and myself. I want to see how tough I really am. Mo says, it's not the skill, it's the will. Today he called me, Big Poppa, Show Stoppa. We laughed and it stuck. My 6 grandchildren call me - Poppa. Sorry for the rant, just looking for encouragement and a referral to any other old men who have crazy fantasies about being a boxer some day. Would love to learn more about all of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How Old is Too Old?

Welcome aboard Poppa !! Never to old to get into shape and start working hard, only thing will be getting a fight down the track, not sure about the age limitation, white collar boxing might extend to the more mature chap!!
    Not sure but some of the lads on here will be able to offer advise.

You can also put your training log on here too so people can follow your progress.

Keep working hard regardless of whether you can climb between the ropes , help you keep up with those grandkids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its never "too late" to get in shape.

The sentiments you describe remind me of an excellent book I read recently "a fighters heart," by Sam Sheridan. The book explores man's infatuation with combat and seeks to understand the physical urges of the male psyche.

There are plenty of avenues you can follow, but they all involve investing time and effort in caring for your body, so start there

The very best of luck.

Thread Information