Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Boxing become 75% buisness and 25% sport?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Has Boxing become 75% buisness and 25% sport?

Given lack ofd activity, cherry picking, catch weight fights, PPV, mega purses, 24-7, etc,. it seems to me the sport we all love has become more of a buisness in which only the top of the pyramid can exploit.

Haye and PBF seem to be examples.

What do you think?

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Has Boxing become 75% buisness and 25% sport?

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    Given lack ofd activity, cherry picking, catch weight fights, PPV, mega purses, 24-7, etc,. it seems to me the sport we all love has become more of a buisness in which only the top of the pyramid can exploit.

Haye and PBF seem to be examples.

What do you think?
    It's been this way for a decade or so now, and since the advent of having televisions in homes it's been slowly heading in that direction.

If you subscribe to Milton Friedman's ideology of free markets this is the inevitable result of exclusive private contracts.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK so what do you want,fighters just to show up and fight each other with no contracts. There were waaaaaay more politics before the 70's rather then after. The only reason we hear so much about the stuff you mentioned is because we are here on a Wednesday where there are no fights, all we have to talk about is some of the business stuff you mentioned.

This is a bit ridiculous imo.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    OK so what do you want,fighters just to show up and fight each other with no contracts. There were waaaaaay more politics before the 70's rather then after. The only reason we hear so much about the stuff you mentioned is because we are here on a Wednesday where there are no fights, all we have to talk about is some of the business stuff you mentioned.

I didn't say it was bad or wrong, just inevitable.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

Was talking about just the original question. It's 75% business because they only fight on 25% of the days in a week. I guess I just don't get the question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

not at all..

there is a business aspect to every sport, but we're are still seeing good fights and the best fighters fight the best fighters (mostly)..

if there was one governing body, or league or something to that extent, then there would be less business negotiations, but i don't see that happening any time soon..

boxing is too different from other sports as far as BUSINESS goes..

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was talking about just the original question. It's 75% business because they only fight on 25% of the days in a week. I guess I just don't get the question.
    If I understand correctly, and holmcall please correct me if I'm wrong........ He is saying there is a very small pool of fighters that control a majority of what happens in boxing, a case of the rich staying rich.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RP33 View Post
    not at all..

there is a business aspect to every sport, but we're are still seeing good fights and the best fighters fight the best fighters (mostly)..

if there was one governing body, or league or something to that extent, then there would be less business negotiations, but i don't see that happening any time soon..

boxing is too different from other sports as far as BUSINESS goes..
    I've often imagined in my head how a boxing league would work. And while it would have it's benefits, there's no way it would work long term.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's more like 100% business. When was it not?

How much influence did the mob have in the good old days? How many fixed fights have there been? How many horseshoes in gloves?

The best only fight the best when the MONEY is right.

As James Toney said - "you don't play boxing"

(Ouma stop rolling your eyes.. i can't help repeating myself. Fact.)
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I understand correctly, and holmcall please correct me if I'm wrong........ He is saying there is a very small pool of fighters that control a majority of what happens in boxing, a case of the rich staying rich.

Yep, that plus lack of activity.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

How much influence did the mob have in the good old days? How many fixed fights have there been? How many horseshoes in gloves?

I'm not disagreeing with your points, but if boxing is all business, what about other pro sports? Same?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course it is. Try and collect sports cards these days they can't even put actual jerseys on the guys anymore they switch teams so much.There's no loyalty to the any of these sports...ask these guys to play or fight for free and see how much they "love" the sport they play. It's all about the cash and you know what.... i don't blame them. Pbf and floyd were used as good examples but they aren't doing anything different than anyone else. Margo was down to fight anyone yes..but with loaded gloves, pac excites the masses fighting people floyd has already beaten and no one has a problem so for one guy it's the greatest thing ever and for others it's beating over the hill guys anyhow, Look at where ricky hatton stands right now, how many of his fans appreciate all the hard work and ass whoopins the guy took, not very many. Before there were people would bear his child if asked (some guys too) now say his name and ........ ! The main fan these guys should care about is themselves first, then all of us later. It's not the individual guys it's sports as a whole. For the money that is at stake for some of these guys especially given how hard times are i don't blame them. I don't like it but it's easy to sit here and say i'd do this and i'd do that, i'd fight this guy then this one. Yea right. When it's all said and done reguardless of the sport what's been made more important, winning a title or belt or whatever for a bunch of fans and owners who won't give a crap about you when you cant talk or pay your medical bills or taking care of yourself and your family as best as possible. These guys being ALLOWED to cherry pick is the problem, not that they do it. Both tasks being equal seems silly not to milk as much cash as you can out of whatever you do in life.....lord knows you're gonna need it. I bet the family of vernon when those bills come will wish he did. A year or so after this tradgedy dies down ask the vipers family how many fans are taking up the slack for his family and the special needs kids he helped. Then see how many of those collectors care who he fought or how many belts he got. Try to hand them one for payment and see what is most important in sports. Sad but true. Sorry if this is all jumbled and what not i'm writing on my wife's phone while i'm with a boring customer.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not disagreeing with your points, but if boxing is all business, what about other pro sports? Same?
    No I don't think other pro sports are the same.

The best in the world would still play their chosen sport without the huge money rewards - Tiger Woods would still play golf, Federer would still play Tennis, Ronaldo would play football (soccer) etc...

Millions of people PLAY these sports everyday for the love of it.

Pro fighters NEED the incentive of big riches/money. You don't put your life on the line for the fun of it. From the best to the worst they don't do it for free, for the love of fighting, getting hurt (well apart from the odd nutter ).
    Last edited by Fenster; 08-05-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The best in the world would still play their chosen sport without the huge money rewards - Tiger Woods would still play golf, Federer would still play Tennis, Ronaldo would play football (soccer) etc...

Pro fighters NEED the incentive of big riches/money. You don't put your life on the line for the fun of it. From the best to the worst they don't do it for free, for the love of fighting, getting hurt (well apart from the odd nutter ).
    No offense to Zelenoff

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No offense to Zelenoff

Thread Information