User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Wilfred Benitez.

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Wilfred Benitez.

Been watching Wilfred Benitez for the last few weeks, and he has become one of my favorite fighters. A great fighter to watch, he looks so easy to hit. Yet he's just such a natural at avoiding punches, and he has got to be one of the best fighters. At fighting off the ropes.

I think he deserved a rematch at SRL, Wilfred Benitez often didn't train for fights. And he only had 2 weeks to train for SRL, and when i was watching Roberto Duran vs Wilfred Benitez, a fight Wilfred Benitez won atleast 12-3. SRL kept on about this is a fight to fight SRL ETC.

So why didn't Wilfred Benitez get his shot ? its such a shame his prime didn't last long. He is possibly one of the most underrated fighters out of the SRL, Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, era.

He went 15 rounds with a prime Thomas Hearns with both men trading knockdowns, he should of went the full distance against SRL. But the ref stopped it with only seconds left in the fight. But it didn't matter anyway.

He was dropped 3 times against Bruce Curry, and still managed to comeback so strong and earn a SD. He also boxed rings around Antonio Cervantes, Carlos Palomino. And his KO win over Maurice Hope was superb, for certain one of my favorite fighters. That didn't have the career he should of had, even though he still had a hell of a career.
    Last edited by ICB; 08-15-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Wilfred Benitez.

We need to mention that Benitez has the record of being the youngest world champion, at age of 17. Great highlights about Benitez my friend. He was a great fighter and if someone has doubts why he was called "The Radar" just watch the fight with Duran.
    Puerto Rico, Small Island, Big Champions!!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the whole youngest champion is basically something that'll never be beaten, seeing how now in the US at leas you have to be 18 to legally go pro, and well the fighters in Mexico or other countries where it's still legal to begin younger don't really take on the greatest competition, so very doubtful some 16 yr old kid is gonna become world champ

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just do not buy the fact that he only trained for 2 weeks to SRL, that was a hell of a fight against a peak Leonard.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I just do not buy the fact that he only trained for 2 weeks to SRL, that was a hell of a fight against a peak Leonard.
    That is what is said, but I cannot garantee it because I was not there. However, I can tell how great he was. It was amazing how a 17 years old kid beat Antonio Cervantes "Kid Pambelé" to become the youngest World Champ in boxing history. It was also amazing how someone could be in front of Duran in the ropes and avoid all those punches. No doubt why he was called "The Radar".

However, it is sad how his career ended and how bad his health is.
    Last edited by Puerto Rican Punch; 08-16-2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Add information
    Puerto Rico, Small Island, Big Champions!!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A great fighter! Add to his being the youngest champion ever is that he won titles at 3 weights by the age of 22!

Very intelligent in the ring, fast reflexes & instincts made him brilliant defensively.

Its a shame he never took training seriously, he could have been even better & may have lasted long in the game...
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
    A great fighter! Add to his being the youngest champion ever is that he won titles at 3 weights by the age of 22!

Very intelligent in the ring, fast reflexes & instincts made him brilliant defensively.

Its a shame he never took training seriously, he could have been even better & may have lasted long in the game...
    Yeah. And he had great head movement. If only he'd had a little more pop he'd of been something else.

The Hilton fight depressed the hell out of me.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have mostly slept on Benitez to be honest.Liked what I saw though,a little herky jerky but smooth at the same time.Sad to hear about his struggles today.Deserves much better.Shite...did he ever fight a Leroy Haffey ?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Have mostly slept on Benitez to be honest.Liked what I saw though,a little herky jerky but smooth at the same time.Sad to hear about his struggles today.Deserves much better.Shite...did he ever fight a Leroy Haffey ?
    Pretty cool.Just found one had listed wrong.Hafey vs.Benitez not vs. Backus .Always learn something new.Awesome.

Thread Information