Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Should i do weights? beginner questions thanks...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Should i do weights? beginner questions thanks...

Hi Guys,

I'm a 23yr old male, 6ft 165lbs/75kg and i have been going to the local boxing gym for general fitness classes twice a week for about 4 months. My original aim was to increase fitness and tone up, but now that my fitness is at a more reasonable level i'm thinking of going to the boxing classes in 2-3 months with the aim of self defense and just the fun of learning something new. But i feel my strength is not up to scratch which leads me to my question:

Is it ok to do free weights to fast track strength gains before i start boxing classes? and what are the best exercises that compliment boxing? ( i was thinking compound exercises like deadlift, bench press, squats etc) is it best to do lower weights/higher reps or higher weights/lower reps? Finally can anyone recommend a suitable weights regime for a beginner like me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Should i do weights? beginner questions thanks...

-Boxing is not the best self-defense style out there; it is a sport.

-Boxing is about skill more than strength. If you want to be a good boxer start now not later.

-For strength gains and all that stuff check out: RossTraining - Bridging The Gap Between Ordinary and Extraordinary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Slater23 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm a 23yr old male, 6ft 165lbs/75kg and i have been going to the local boxing gym for general fitness classes twice a week for about 4 months. My original aim was to increase fitness and tone up, but now that my fitness is at a more reasonable level i'm thinking of going to the boxing classes in 2-3 months with the aim of self defense and just the fun of learning something new. But i feel my strength is not up to scratch which leads me to my question:

Is it ok to do free weights to fast track strength gains before i start boxing classes? and what are the best exercises that compliment boxing? ( i was thinking compound exercises like deadlift, bench press, squats etc) is it best to do lower weights/higher reps or higher weights/lower reps? Finally can anyone recommend a suitable weights regime for a beginner like me?
    I would focus on mainly plyometric explosive style exercises like box jumping. If I could do it over again, I would have only done bodyweight exercises. Jump rope a lot. Take my experience from it, I used to be a competitive bodybuilder, weights won't make u a better boxer. I would do TONS of core exercises like leg raises. To gain explosiveness in your arms you could use a shot put. Make sure all the strength and conditioning you're doing compliments boxing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok cool thanks guys, i'll start boxing classes next week and see how it goes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lifting weights can help you get stronger and more explosive if you do it correctly. Theres a huge difference between strength training with weights and bodybuilding training.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Before anything related try learning to Box. Coardination comes before anything, its the primary sense of Feel, as far as Biomechanical movement is concerned that comes first for protecting muscle movement and keeping correct form stress and injury free. Injured you wont get fit or strong, and recovery wont improve.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information