Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Marquez is clearly not as effective at this weight, how much credit......

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If Marquez is clearly not as effective at this weight, how much credit......

should Floyd get if he wins? I think that it if Mayweather looks spectacular against Marquez, many people, his fans especially, will claim that Floyd is p4p #1, the greatest fighter ever, nobody can beat him, etc. And he is a great and talented fighter, I would never say otherwise. But in order for me to consider this one of his biggest wins, should he win, is for Marquez to perform at his best and not look like a fighter who is well above a weight that he can perform at. He needs to be able to do the things that made him champion in the first place.
    When Manny fought Oscar, I gave him moderate amount of credit, but not nearly as much as I would have if Oscar was 100%. The credit I did give to him was because Oscar was suposed to be the bigger man, the favorite, and had fought at that weight before. None of those things apply to Marquez. Hes the smaller man, never fought above 135, and hes the underdog. This fight reminds me a bit of Jones-Trinidad. The physical advantage in size and stregnth was the difference for Roy and the primary reason he won. Thats also the reason he got little credit. Oscar-Hopkins is another one. As both these fights wore on, the bigger man started to look like the bigger man. Hopkins got little credit for that fight as well. I see this fight playing out the same way.
    There is no denying that the deck is stacked against Marquez. He is not a natural 144 pound fighter. I know people say Floyd isnt a natural Welterweight and thats fine. But he IS a natural fighter for 140-145. That cant be argued with. I think Floyd does what no other man has done and stops Juan, looking good in the process. But whos to say that any other top 10 welterweight wouldnt have the same or similar result? I say that with all respect to Marquez, hes one of my boxing idols. But, again, hes not a welterweight.
    There is that slim chance that he does pull of the upset. If that happens he will really have cemented his legacy among the few men in boxing who have acheived those heights in the world of boxing.
    Last edited by BoomBoom; 09-17-2009 at 08:58 PM.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If Marquez is clearly not as effective at this weight, how much credit......

47 views and not one response!? Really!? Im not posting here anymore Thats 47 posters that obviously dont know nothing about boxing and you all can suck my c***. I guess you have to bash fighters or start rumors to get a response around here.

Either that or im just a painfully bad writer
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If Marquez is clearly not as effective at this weight, how much credit......

I responded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez The Killer View Post
    I responded.

Thanks buddy!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With Floyd now missing the weight limit I'd find it very hard to put him at #1 p4p with a win, he already held all the advantages & this just makes it even more one-sided.

Marquez loses nothing from this fight, but has everything to gain! Floyd on the other hand will get very little credit for beating Marquez now & will look like a complete dick if he is defeated!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
    With Floyd now missing the weight limit I'd find it very hard to put him at #1 p4p with a win, he already held all the advantages & this just makes it even more one-sided.

Marquez loses nothing from this fight, but has everything to gain! Floyd on the other hand will get very little credit for beating Marquez now & will look like a complete dick if he is defeated!
    well... that sums my thoughts pretty well.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He don't need a loss to look like a complete dick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats a great point. Marquez has absolutely nothing to lose and that should make him feel good going into this fight. He knows what hes up against and he knows that winning this fight would make him the greatest fighter in the world p4p. I was happy to see him weigh in at 142. I think he knows that he will need to be fast and throw a lot of punches. I suspect that tommorow he will be about 144 and Floyd will be about 10 pounds heavier.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post

He don't need a loss to look like a complete dick.
    I normally just see him as a dick, but now he's a complete one!

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post

Thats a great point. Marquez has absolutely nothing to lose and that should make him feel good going into this fight. He knows what hes up against and he knows that winning this fight would make him the greatest fighter in the world p4p. I was happy to see him weigh in at 142. I think he knows that he will need to be fast and throw a lot of punches. I suspect that tommorow he will be about 144 and Floyd will be about 10 pounds heavier.
    I too am happy with Marquez being 142, I would have preferred him to be at about 138-140 but 142 ain't bad.

I hope he is mad as hell he's disrespected like this, crack those ribs Marquez & take Mayweather out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lets not forget Marquez is 36 years old at the end of his career and is getting a minimum 3.5 million dollers he has nothing to loose here.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    47 views and not one response!? Really!? Im not posting here anymore Thats 47 posters that obviously dont know nothing about boxing and you all can suck my c***. I guess you have to bash fighters or start rumors to get a response around here.

Either that or im just a painfully bad writer

I think you said it all ,what can we add ?

Other than "Go o o the underdog!!"
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Please God let that happen"
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not one punch and the discrediting is already in full bloom. Look I don't see marquez crying bout shit so no excuses should be made for him. I've seen people like clottey outweigh people by way way worse come fight time. If juan has a problem then don't fight, oscar got in the ring dripping blood from his veins and no one shed a tear, I'm just saying if marquez gets in the ring tommorow then no excuses.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    Not one punch and the discrediting is already in full bloom. Look I don't see marquez crying bout shit so no excuses should be made for him. I've seen people like clottey outweigh people by way way worse come fight time. If juan has a problem then don't fight, oscar got in the ring dripping blood from his veins and no one shed a tear, I'm just saying if marquez gets in the ring tommorow then no excuses.
    Nah f*ck that! Mayweather's a chump!

He got a lot of flack for fighting Marquez because he was smaller, but that was made a little easier to swallow because Floyd would have to come in at 144 after his layoff... now that he's spat the dummy on that sh*t why shouldn't he be critized?

You won't hear any Marquez complaining or making excuses, he's not that type of fighter & why should he make excuses? He's done nothing wrong!

Why would you have Marquez miss out on a career high payday just because Mayweather's a b*tch? Floyd should have been made to boil down & then give Marquez the option of fighting. I would have given Mayweather credit if he had of at least tried to comeback & make weight, but I guess we already no his true colours!!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No excuses...but all things considered he is fighting the best lightweight in the world today.Umm.Marquez will take the money sure,and he also believes he can win more so...not going through with the fight is a none starter.And Hopkins gets smashed for fighting 'jr middles'.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 09-19-2009 at 01:56 AM.

Thread Information