Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Richardson clears Trinidad's name in wrap scandal.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Richardson clears Trinidad's name in wrap scandal.

Trinidad Wraps were much different than Margarito's

[IMG]http://***********.com/images/stories/rokstories/Nazim_Richardson.jpg[/IMG]To me, Trinidad's situation was much, much different than Margarito's. What Trinidad did was actually legal in some places. It just wasn't legal in New York. I had the rulebook with me right there in my hand.
    The Ring: What happened in Trinidad's locker room? NR: When I came into the room, I think it was his left hand that was already wrapped. I asked for the bylaws about hand wraps before the fight. I didn't see the hand get wrapped. Someone from Hopkins' camp had to be there to witness the hands being wrapped. I spoke to a commissioner about it. he said that he was there to watch his hand get wrapped. Then I asked him, "Do you work for the Hopkins camp??" I think I asked him twice. He said, no, so I told the commissioner I wanted to see Trinidad get his hands wrapped again - both of them.

Before you know it, Papa Trinidad flipped out and went off, and people in the room started threatening me (laughs). They said I was scared. I told them I don't have to fight Trinidad tonight, what do I have to be scared about (laughs)? They were telling me Bernard was going to get knocked out. I didn't want to budge from what I knew was right. If something happened to Bernard, and something came out later about Trinidad's hand wraps, I would have blamed myself. It would have been because I didn't do my job.

The Ring: How crazy did it get?

NR: Real crazy. The Trinidad people brought in the HBO people and

Read More:

Trinidad Wraps were much different than Margarito's

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Richardson clears Trinidad's name in wrap scandal.

"The Ring: What did you see?

NR. I noticed that Papa was layering too much tape and gauze on Tito's hand, and that wasn't allowed. It was amazing. The commission was there, watching and no one said anything. Papa Trinidad said that every time they fought at MSG, that's the way he wrapped his hands. I told him, "Not against my guy."

The athletic commission told him the proper way to wrap the hand and he wrapped it the right way. Watching another fighter get his hands wrapped, which would normally take 10, maybe 15 minutes, took an hour to get resolved. I wasn't budging from my stands. That's because I was right, backed by fact. I had to say something. There were no doubts whatsoever. There's nothing I would change from that night. I can smile, because I like being in position to protect my guy. The rest is history.

Think about this: No one before or since stopped William Joppy the way Trinidad did to him. I don't know and I can't say if Trinidad wrapped his hands a certain way or not in any of his previous fights. All I can say is what I saw that night with Bernard. I watched Bernard beat Joppy to death, but no one put him down like Trinidad did. That's all I can say."
    ummmmm Eastman rocked the hell out of Joppy, and he's no power puncher, Hopkins has never been a huge banger, Trinidad has been known as one his entire career, that's all there is to it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did not really clear his name IMO, infact him saying that noone had put joppy down like that implied that he might have cheated.. He just said that Trinidad played against the rules while Margo down right broke them.
    Hidden Content There is no reward for second place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by purtyboy View Post
    Did not really clear his name IMO, infact him saying that noone had put joppy down like that implied that he might have cheated.. He just said that Trinidad played against the rules while Margo down right broke them.
    Considering all the hoopla that was made about Tito. People were running around accusing Tito of using plaster when in fact it was just extra tape and gauze. Big difference from trying to use plaster IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good on Brother Nazim
    You got to play by the rules
    Don't like it?
    Tough

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by *********** View Post
    Considering all the hoopla that was made about Tito. People were running around accusing Tito of using plaster when in fact it was just extra tape and gauze. Big difference from trying to use plaster IMO
    Big difference probably, but it did something to that explosive power he showed in the Joppy fight didn't it? So it may be a big difference but if it made him hit harder and his punches more effective then its still cheatin and an unfair advantage regardless isnt it?
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by *********** View Post
    Big difference probably, but it did something to that explosive power he showed in the Joppy fight didn't it? So it may be a big difference but if it made him hit harder and his punches more effective then its still cheatin and an unfair advantage regardless isnt it?
    No it was legal in nevada.
    Tito did nothing more illegal than Floyd being allowed to inject his hands with pain killers which is legal in some states and not in others.

Read the rule book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    "The Ring: What did you see?

NR. I noticed that Papa was layering too much tape and gauze on Tito's hand, and that wasn't allowed. It was amazing. The commission was there, watching and no one said anything. Papa Trinidad said that every time they fought at MSG, that's the way he wrapped his hands. I told him, "Not against my guy."

The athletic commission told him the proper way to wrap the hand and he wrapped it the right way. Watching another fighter get his hands wrapped, which would normally take 10, maybe 15 minutes, took an hour to get resolved. I wasn't budging from my stands. That's because I was right, backed by fact. I had to say something. There were no doubts whatsoever. There's nothing I would change from that night. I can smile, because I like being in position to protect my guy. The rest is history.

Think about this: No one before or since stopped William Joppy the way Trinidad did to him. I don't know and I can't say if Trinidad wrapped his hands a certain way or not in any of his previous fights. All I can say is what I saw that night with Bernard. I watched Bernard beat Joppy to death, but no one put him down like Trinidad did. That's all I can say."
    ummmmm Eastman rocked the hell out of Joppy, and he's no power puncher, Hopkins has never been a huge banger, Trinidad has been known as one his entire career, that's all there is to it
    Around that time in his career Eastman had like a 85% ko ratio. He definitely was a power puncher, and Hopkins had really good power for a lot of his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brother Nazzim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What gets me was that the commissioner was there and he didn't have a fecking clue. The same with margarito, nobody saw nuthin.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by awdleyfuturehalloffamer View Post
    What gets me was that the commissioner was there and he didn't have a fecking clue. The same with margarito, nobody saw nuthin.
    I think judges are probably the same, clueless hanger ons with good seats.

What Tito did to Joppey was unnatural. That power was not real.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I Spoke with Richardson a few times in the GYM back in like 2005 before the Hopkins Taylor fights. He's a funny dude and hes knows how to tell a story. Real nice guy. His sons are really nice too.

Thread Information