Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Nonito Donaire really the 6th best boxer in the world??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is Nonito Donaire really the 6th best boxer in the world??

Just was looking at the Pound For Pound rankings on The Ring & saw that Donaire is #6

The Ring Pound For Pound Ratings

I mean seriously, he's a good fighter, but he's only got one worthy name on there in Darchinyan & even he isn't that good.

The problem I have with this is however you look at it, there are plenty of guys who should be above him.

If it's on resume, Cotto, Dawson, Williams, Chris John, both Klitschkos & Arthur Abraham all trump him.

If it's on talent Hasegawa, Cotto, Dawson, Williams, Wlad Klitschko, Abraham, Kessler, Calderon, Caballero & Roman Gonzalez are all better.

Can you really have this high because people thought Vic was p4p at one point & he beat him?

I mean he's good, probably Top 20, but no way is he the 6th best fighter in the world.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Nonito Donaire really the 6th best boxer in the world??

OK gonna have to ban Bilbo from this thread

The more talented parts obviously more subjective, I definitely wouldn't put Caballero above him in that category and I think Caballero at 8 is an all time WTF moment. And this is coming from somebody who kind of championed Caballero for a while when he was unknown or underrated. He is NOT one of the ten best fighters in the world IMO, no way. I think Donaire could be but his resume doesn't match up yet.
    Last edited by OumaFan; 11-11-2009 at 11:54 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post

The more talented parts obviously more subjective, I definitely wouldn't put Caballero above him in that category and I think Caballero at 8 is an all time WTF moment. And this is coming from somebody who kind of championed Caballero for a while when he was unknown or underrated. He is NOT one of the ten best fighters in the world IMO, no way. I think Donaire could be but his resume doesn't match up yet.
    Right now I'd say Caballero is the more talented fighter. Still I agree he's not Top 10 p4p.

I don't Donaire has the potential to be, but you can't have people in there off potential.

Anyway you can't ban Bilbo, think of his delight when he finally sees we agree on something, although no doubt he will take it too far & start ranting about midgets getting benefits in the p4p rankings

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post

Right now I'd say Caballero is the more talented fighter. Still I agree he's not Top 10 p4p.

I don't Donaire has the potential to be, but you can't have people in there off potential.

Anyway you can't ban Bilbo, think of his delight when he finally sees we agree on something, although no doubt he will take it too far & start ranting about midgets getting benefits in the p4p rankings
    IMO neither Donaire, Juanma Lopez, Gamboa, or Caballero have done enough to be p4p, and with that said Caballero's done the most out of the bunch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donaire is a really good fighter, and people need to stop caring about what someone has done and just analyze how good somebody is. I knew Floyd was better than Bernard Hopkins before he got the p4p title just because of how he fought and how good he was. That's why when there are two prospects we just know who is likely to be better than who, and thats what the p4p rankings are all about.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Donaire is a really good fighter, and people need to stop caring about what someone has done and just analyze how good somebody is. I knew Floyd was better than Bernard Hopkins before he got the p4p title just because of how he fought and how good he was. That's why when there are two prospects we just know who is likely to be better than who, and thats what the p4p rankings are all about.
    That's an incredibly subjective way to categorize a fighter. I think skills should weight into P4P rankings, but more so I think a fighters record and consistency should be what matter most. Either way, P4P lists are useless in my opinion, far too subjective.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taeth is somewhat right, imo. I think there is definitely an argument to be made that Nonito is one of the most 10 most talented fighters in the game. He's DEFINITELY more skilled then Celestino Caballero.

Buuuut if you asked me my list of the most talented fighters in boxing, guys like Joan Guzman would be on there when their accomplishments clearly don't merit that sort of recognition. There has to be a balance.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

when it comes to skills, Judah, Taylor, and hell even David Reid, were all great, had awesome potential, did either ever fully live up to it, no, meaning they weren't "p4p material" thats why you don't just base it on skill alone, you can have all the skill in the world, if you don't apply it against equal quality opponents you haven't proven shit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    when it comes to skills, Judah, Taylor, and hell even David Reid, were all great, had awesome potential, did either ever fully live up to it, no, meaning they weren't "p4p material" thats why you don't just base it on skill alone, you can have all the skill in the world, if you don't apply it against equal quality opponents you haven't proven shit
    but hypothetically you would have guess who would win if nonito fights arce and mijares. forget about montiel, he's a coward. and the answer is: nonito donaire right?
    wrong for you, but thats' what hypothesis are, if it's close enough to reality. it's not "fantasy."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mad_takamura View Post
    but hypothetically you would have guess who would win if nonito fights arce and mijares. forget about montiel, he's a coward. and the answer is: nonito donaire right?
    wrong for you, but thats' what hypothesis are, if it's close enough to reality. it's not "fantasy."
    um no, i'm not even sure Donaire beats Darchinyan again at 116, Montiel a coward? he's fought bigger names and tougher guys than Donaire, if anyone's a coward it's the 5'6" Donaire who hasn't fought anyone worth mention (aside from Concepcion) since his win over Darchinyan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

um no, i'm not even sure Donaire beats Darchinyan again at 116, Montiel a coward? he's fought bigger names and tougher guys than Donaire, if anyone's a coward it's the 5'6" Donaire who hasn't fought anyone worth mention (aside from Concepcion) since his win over Darchinyan
    you're out of your mind. if nonito was a coward "then why the hell he called this fighters out on air?" does a coward do that?

cowards are those who run from challenges like what they did to nonito. now that's a fact.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you're out of your mind. if nonito was a coward "then why the hell he called this fighters out on air?" does a coward do that?

cowards are those who run from challenges like what they did to nonito. now that's a fact.
    umm yea they would, David Haye called out both Klitschkos and ran like a bitch for his dear life, Amir Khan called out everyone at 140 and is now scheduled to fight Salita, Mayweather said he would have dropped the Marquez fight, that he would pay Marquez to step down to fight Pacquiao, did that happen? no, nice try though, next

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

umm yea they would, David Haye called out both Klitschkos and ran like a bitch for his dear life, Amir Khan called out everyone at 140 and is now scheduled to fight Salita, Mayweather said he would have dropped the Marquez fight, that he would pay Marquez to step down to fight Pacquiao, did that happen? no, nice try though, next
    i applaud you. are you born with gamma rays?
    it's easy to say a fighter avoided that, avoided who, but beyond that there's a lot of reasons. like running away especially after being challenged.now that's shameful.
    anyway i know our arguments will definitely get redundant. all i would say is wait for those fights to happen, it will definitely come. if those fights will happen who do you think will be in a losing end? me or you? coz now donaire's going to be handled by top rank. those fights will come by popular demand. it's the rule of money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

and hypothetically imo donaire will prove he deserve the p4p #6 spot when he beats those fighters he challenged.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i applaud you. are you born with gamma rays?
    it's easy to say a fighter avoided that, avoided who, but beyond that there's a lot of reasons. like running away especially after being challenged.now that's shameful.
    anyway i know our arguments will definitely get redundant. all i would say is wait for those fights to happen, it will definitely come. if those fights will happen who do you think will be in a losing end? me or you? coz now donaire's going to be handled by top rank. those fights will come by popular demand. it's the rule of money.
    did your dad tell you that as well? well my dad works in a looney bin and the schizophrenics told him that Donaire is gonna be taking on Hulk Hogan and Bugs Bunny in a triple threat hopscotch match....

Thread Information