Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about Floyd's Legacy..

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default A question about Floyd's Legacy..

Does it affect his legacy by letting fighters like Mosley and Pac take two historical victories that should have been his...Shane over Margo and Pac over Cotto?
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: A question about Floyd's Legacy..

Yes it will if PBF decides not to fight Pacman for whatever reason. The same could be said for Joe Calzaghe regarding Kelly Pavlik, Hopkins got there first and I'm sure users of this forum would have been more impressed if Calzaghe beat Pavlik. Since Hopkins defeated him he's been shrugged off as an overhyped nobody.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Floyd has a great legacy but Pacquiao is completely raining on his parade/overshadowing his accomplishments. Floyd talks his big game about moving up in weight but Pacquiao has done the same beating the big dogs. Floyd fought Judah, Baldomir, and Hatton at welter, Pac went straight for Cotto. Pac got criticized for fighting David Diaz at lightweight but since then at jr. welter and welter he beat the best fighter in the division (Cotto can be argued over Shane cause he has a win over him, but that's another thread).

I know there used to be great cases for either man having the better resume/legacy but Pac just blew it wide open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep, Pac's win over Cotto trumps anything floyd has ever done. And now he takes away floyd's claim of winning in the most divisions.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather View Post
    Yep, Pac's win over Cotto trumps anything floyd has ever done. And now he takes away floyd's claim of winning in the most divisions.
    You could also say Floyd Mayweather Jr dominating JMM, on paper trumps anything Manny Pacquiao has done. Although the weight issue has to come into it, would it really have mattered what weightclass it was at ? and remember Floyd Mayweather Jr was even better at the lower weight classes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    You could also say Floyd Mayweather Jr dominating JMM, on paper trumps anything Manny Pacquiao has done. Although the weight issue has to come into it, would it really have mattered what weightclass it was at ? and remember Floyd Mayweather Jr was even better at the lower weight classes.
    On paper maybe. But in reality, Floyd made the lightweight champion fight at a catchweight two weight divisions up and he didn't even respect the contracted weight. Floyd dominated him, but he had everything working in his favor. Pacquiao moved up to fight arguably the top dog at welter and beat him convincingly. Floyd did not fight a top dog welterweight, Pacquiao went straight to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

right now pac is without doubt p4p number 1, but i feel mayweather will beat him

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by C-Lo View Post
    On paper maybe. But in reality, Floyd made the lightweight champion fight at a catchweight two weight divisions up and he didn't even respect the contracted weight. Floyd dominated him, but he had everything working in his favor. Pacquiao moved up to fight arguably the top dog at welter and beat him convincingly. Floyd did not fight a top dog welterweight, Pacquiao went straight to them.
    Just making an interesting point, but in all honestly. Manny Pacquiao is number 1 at the moment, and has the better resume. And this coming from a Floyd Mayweather Jr fan, your boy is amazing props to him. And im glad my boy has a legit threat someone in danger of beating him, this biggest he's had since he's fought Jose Luis Castillo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by C-Lo View Post

Just making an interesting point, but in all honestly. Manny Pacquiao is number 1 at the moment, and has the better resume. And this coming from a Floyd Mayweather Jr fan, your boy is amazing props to him. And im glad my boy has a legit threat someone in danger of beating him, this biggest he's had since he's fought Jose Luis Castillo.
    I know what you mean. This fight has to be made. I would be very bitter if it doesn't happen.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One thing can be said for sure, Cotto is tougher than any welterweight Floyd has ever faced and Pacquiao dominated him. At Floyd's weight since 2005, Pac has a better resume.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

like floyd said "legacy dont pay bills"

if he cared about his legacy he would have fought the fighters he needed to fight to prove that. he's in it for the money ALONE....i mean nobody will remember him like people remembers the ATG's. he left for 18 months and boxing continued. fights were made and people were happy. long after he's gone nobody will remember that "O" is his record. most people will say "ohhh.. that guy who ducked a lot of fighters while he was on his prime?" but then that will be on another discussion
    "speed is the essence of war"
    sun tzu-art of war

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

pac beating the hell out of a bigger cotto super trumps pbf dancing with a a small jmm.

if we are going to use common opponents then jmm, hatton and hoya got beaten by pac in a better fashion than pbf.

nowadays its sad to say but every boxer is in this for money, even pac. we will pay to see them fight the best thats sure money so why did pac took more risk the pbf?
    Last edited by mnmc10; 11-16-2009 at 04:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mnmc10 View Post
    pac beating the hell out of a bigger cotto super trumps pbf dancing with a a small jmm.

if we are going to use common opponents then jmm, hatton and hoya got beaten by pac in a better fashion than pbf.

nowadays its sad to say but every boxer is in this for money, even pac. we will pay to see them fight the best thats sure money so why did pac took more risk the pbf?

Pac arguably lost both of those fights..Floyd won every round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

according to only a handfull of people, pacs record is official. to me one judge dont know math and pac won first fight, second one is a draw.

ill say it again pac beat jmm hatton and hoya in a better fashion than pbf.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mnmc10 View Post
    according to only a handfull of people, pacs record is official. to me one judge dont know math and pac won first fight, second one is a draw.

ill say it again pac beat jmm hatton and hoya in a better fashion than pbf.

haha I love your stubbarn refusal to drop Marquez from your sentence despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Marquez and Manny went life and death over 24 rounds, Floyd used Marquez as an exhibition partner and won every single round, the most one sided title fight since Calzahghe Lacy.

Yes the weight was a factor but credit where its due.

Manny destroyed Hatton and Oscar far more impressively than Floyd did though, that's for sure.

Thread Information