Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Could Cotto have ever won?

Quote Originally Posted by piye View Post
    Yes Cotto needs a good trainer! every time he used the jab and moved he was effective! he decided instead to be a brawler against Pac who is faster and as it turns out a more effective puncher.
    Awesome sig you got there.

Cotto could have won if he stuck to original plan, which is box/counter. Not only he underestimated Pac's speed, but Pac's chin and power too. It's always a bad idea to initiate a slugfest with Manny.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Cotto boxed great in the first but when a ferocious fighter like Pac is on the attack he basically forces you into a punch-up.

Cotto must have got a big shock that he was coming off second best so badly.

Pac was simply much better than him. He basically beat Cotto in 5 rounds.
    I have to agree with Fenster , lets face facts , PACMAN was just better in every department.
    Im sure if Cotto had boxed on the back foot more , then Pacman would have adapted.
    This post is kind of silly really , i do not conform to " IF'S AND BUT'S "
    Fact , Cotto praised PAC and said he was one of the best fighters of all time , and lets face it Miguel knows more about it than the rest of us put together.
    Me too,
    plus you are not going to avoid everything Manny pulls out of the hat,you box off the back foot and try and skip away and he will double step cut you off or turn step and launch.
    While you are moving, he will have some weird generic shot there to meet your head while he is also bodily moving so
    his shots are very percussive and the damage will just toll up through the fight until he can catch you at will later on instead of earlier as happened.

Floyd should get all the credit in the world if he takes him on because even he wont avoid all the shots. Its the most risk he would have ever taken at this later stage of his game.

He may lean and bend with the wind and come back with his own answers, but he will still take a few very hard shots ; well thats what we all want to see anyway Floyds skill under pressure.

Floyd wins first half , MAnny wins a few middle rounds, Floyd takes control in the later rounds and scrapes in a unanimous decision.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What should Cotto have done to beat Manny Pacquiao?

The fight is over now and we know how Pacquiao crushed Miguel Cotto. Miguel started strong and gave Manny a good fight early but quickly declined still early in the fight. I think the Cotto of old could have beaten Manny (again I know he didn't!). Possible factors that could have weakened Cotto are discussed everywhere (as factors that strengthen Manny): First, his corner especially his rookie trainer with no fight plan whatsoever (and let's not even talk about the decision to retire) just motivating him to return and win, pretty much cheerleading him compared to Manny's Freddie Roach and their thorough fight plans. Second, Cotto's past wars. He has had some fierce fights where he was hurt and still not had not properly healed while Pacman came from easier win unscathed. Their is a lot of talk about what Margarito stole from him evident in all his following fights. Third, Cotto's training. Cotto is way slower than Pacman, and by the end he said "I couldn't see where the punches were coming from" but that's all he knew about Pacman. Everyone did. To which I think he simply got overconfident and didn't train his speed at all and planned to counter-punch instead while Manny had multiple fight plans. Also, there are comments that Cotto may have overtrained. Finally, some people claim Cotto had no chance whatsoever against an inhuman man in Manny. I disagree to this. I think the guy had a decent shot at fighting his best opponent so far but he got dismantled so badly that I can't yet decide if Manny was that good (and I know he's pretty good) or Cotto performed that bad despite his obsession not to get KO'ed.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What should Cotto have done to beat Manny Pacquiao?

Umm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What should Cotto have done to beat Manny Pacquiao?

Hi and welcome to the forums. I'm not sure if you post on any other boards but I tend to do a search before posting a new thread just to save from cluttering the board and going over old ground.

http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...tml#post811536

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Cotto had had a real corner, instead of the bunch of groupies he's got, he'd have been better prepared for Manny. Not saying he would've won anyway, but I'm sure he would've been more competitive. I think the gameplan for Manny should have been: jab, jab, jab, for the first 2-4 rounds, while countering Manny's attacks. Trading with Manny was a BAD idea. With Manny's handspeed, he tagged Cotto with 3-4 shots for every punch Cotto landed. And he caught Cotto clean. A good corner would've said to Cotto: WTF are you doing?!? But they were damn near useless.

Thread Information