Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Does Arum Get Enough Credit?

I know we all give promoters a bad time (almost always deservedly)...Arum gets as much flack as the next shady promoter BUT

Putting his two money makers together in an amazing match up where somebody was going to be potentially beaten up bad and have their starpower fade a little, I have to give the man credit for making the best fights out there.

He done it last year with Margarito and Cotto too (although it wouldn't have mattered if Marg got busted up as he was never a cash cow) - He risked Cotto big time.

I know they're all pretty shady but can you imagine a prick like Frank Warren putting 2 of his money makers together? I can't!

In fact if anyone can give me other examples of inter-promotional fights, I'd be really appreciative.

Just wanted to stop by and give Arum his props.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Does Arum Get Enough Credit?

Promoters look after themselves and Arum got his fighters to fight because it made business sense. Never thank promoters for doing what should be done anyway.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arum doesn't deserve any credit, for me he's the most loathsome individual in boxing. He's Don King without the charisma & at least with King you could say he always put together a good fight card. He matched Pacquiao & Cotto because he wanted to get one fight out of Pac where all the money was his before a Mayweather or Mosley fight.

If Warren could do it believe me he would. If Kell Brook becomes a world champ, expect him to be matched with Khan, because whatever happens Warren wins.

You're looking at it as one guy's starpower fades, but the reality is it means the winner's star gets a lot brighter. Think about it this way, if he'd matched Pacquiao with Mayweather, it would have been big, probably approaching 2m PPV buys, but now with Manny having done that to Cotto, that fight is a true 50-50 (not like Pacquiao-Cotto allegedly was, I saw that for Manny from the Clottey fight), where the bookmakers will be very tight on it. A Pacquiao-Mayweather fight might now look to do close to 3m PPVs.

It was just smart matchmaking for Arum. He couldn't lose.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He knew Cotto was on the slide and Manny would win. It guaranteed Arum a huge payday as he promotes both guys, and it's a result for both guys, Cotto gets a career-high payday on his way to retirement and Manny gets another big win before the inevitable Mayweather loss, plus it helps build Manny-Mayweather even bigger. Arum definitely didn't make the fight because of altruistic reasons.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arum is a very good promoter. Which doesn't mean he's not a rat like most of the promoters. Not as crock as King as to me, he's born and will die on the top of that mountain but the old fox is sure not that below. Actually, if tomorrow I would have to chose a promoter, I would go with a smaller stable like Interbox in Quebec, DeGuardia or something like that... Dibella sounds quite honest for a promoter though but never King, Top Rank or Goldenboy.

(thus said, I don't know all the backscene of all the promotion companies and it is possible that I've somehow been fooled thinking a promoter was a fair man when he isn't).
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don King in his heyday, almost always owned both fighters in his main events. In fact, back when he ran boxing, you pretty much had to be a Don King fighter to get a big fight.

Promoters often provide both fighters because then they keep all the money

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good points by all but Jaz, while I agree that promoters should give us the best fights AND that Arum is shady, when do other promoters actually deliver? Rarely, so Arum deserves at least a little credit.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz View Post
    Good points by all but Jaz, while I agree that promoters should give us the best fights AND that Arum is shady, when do other promoters actually deliver? Rarely, so Arum deserves at least a little credit.
    Exactly what point did I make that upset you?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    Jaz I think you read my post wrong. I didn't mean "good points by all except Jaz" although I see how it can be read that way

I said you had a good point but while I agree with you that promoters should give us the best fights, most promoters don't - So that's why I give him a little credit.

Does that make sense?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    Jaz I think you read my post wrong. I didn't mean "good points by all except Jaz" although I see how it can be read that way

I said you had a good point but while I agree with you that promoters should give us the best fights, most promoters don't - So that's why I give him a little credit.

Does that make sense?
    Ah, ok I see it now, now I feel like a fool

I do see your point, but I always thought this was the weakest of the three fights that could be made (Mosley, PBF & Cotto), & believed he did so because Cotto was there for the taking. That's not to take away from Pacquiao's performance which was stunning, but I thought he would beat Cotto up, although I thought Cotto would last to the final bell.

I think the problem is more often promoters working together, if it's one guy they're usually happier to get the job done. Arum already has to give 25% of his take from a Pacquiao fight to Golden Boy, so he'd want all the more for himself.

I think I find it hard to give him credit, because imo he's as big a scumbag as Don King to many of his fighters, the difference being that he's far smarter at gaining influence in the media. Writers like Kevin Iole & particularly Thomas Hauser sit in his pocket.

Thread Information