Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default JAY-Z - Please educate me fellas

I used to be a big Rap fan back in the early nineties, but I just don't like much of the current stuff. Jay-Z is huge, not so much in the UK, but his sales in America are second to none.

So am I missing out? Is he really this good and if so where do I start in terms of listening to his music. i.e best albums etc?

Cheers
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

ICB Guest

Default Re: JAY-Z - Please educate me fellas

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    I used to be a big Rap fan back in the early nineties, but I just don't like much of the current stuff. Jay-Z is huge, not so much in the UK, but his sales in America are second to none.

So am I missing out? Is he really this good and if so where do I start in terms of listening to his music. i.e best albums etc?

Cheers
    Rap and hip-hop is shite now compared to the late 80s and early 90s.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was actualy disappointed with with the Blueprint.

The Blueprint 2 - The Gift and The Curse is a good album.

As is the Black Album.

IMO Nas is better. Illmatic and Untitled are both very good albums.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say Jay-Z is easily the best rapper there is today, only Eminem, Nas & Lupe Fiasco are competing with him in my opinion.

Reasonable Doubt is a great album, standout tracks to download Dead Presidents II, Regrets, Brooklyn's Finest (great chance to hear him & Biggie together), Can I Live & Can't Knock The Hustle.

I'd also recommend The City Is Mine & You Must Love Me from In My Lifetime Vol. 1.

The Roc La Familia: Dynasty album has some great tracks, the definite downloads should be Can't Be Life, Where Have You Been, Soon You'll Understand, Parking Lot Pimpin', Guilty Until Proven Innocent & even the Intro on this album is hard.

The Blueprint has some ill ones, mainly Heart Of The City, Takeover, Jigga That Nigga, Renegade, Song Cry & U Don't Know.

The Blueprint 2 is underrated imo, some great songs on here. My personal favourite is the album opener Blueprint 2 which is to the tune of The Good, The Bad & The Ugly theme, The Bounce with Kanye is also hard, The Watcher 2 is almost as good as the Dr. Dre original. Rocky is pretty good as well, whilst Guns & Roses & 2 Many Hoes are live. The standout track though has to be A Dream, which features Biggie & Faith Evans. One of the best rap songs of this decade.

The Black Album is ok, not as good as some of the others in my opinion, but still has some very good songs like Threat, Encore, Moment Of Clarity & 99 Problems, which you've probably heard.

Kingdom Come is another underrated album, has 2 truly great tracks on it in Lost One & Minority Report. Dig A Hole & Show Me What You Got are also decent songs.

American Gangster wasn't really up to standard for me, but Roc Boys & Pray are both good tunes.

Blueprint 3 is his most recent album, again I was a bit disappointed with it, but Run This Town, A Star Is Born & Reminder are a good listen.

Anyway that's all I could think of off the top of my head, but you should check some of those out.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post

Cheers
    Rap and hip-hop is shite now compared to the late 80s and early 90s.

How old are you Ice??

I do think rap is at a low point right now commercially, but hip-hop in the late 90s & early part of this decade was just as good as your golden era.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cool Re: JAY-Z - Please educate me fellas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hip-hop is for uneducated morons

Apart from the odd decent "fiddy" or jay-Z song the whole entire industry is run by scam artists and performed by idiots who have no understanding of what it takes to actually be an "artist" and not just a performer

Give me a bit of marley or stones anyday over this crap!!!
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Personally, I find rap to be quite horrid.

It is repetitive, and the lyrics are often quite crude and vulgar.

I much prefer rock and roll (at least the lyrics have somewhere to go)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post

scuse me....has a 90 year old tea lady suddenly taken over Miles' account?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: JAY-Z - Please educate me fellas

miles / hatton, check out my link

Spirit of punk I tell you!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Munkymagic View Post

No, I just don't think rap is very good.

I'm all for music being outrageous and challenging people, but Eminem and Jay-Z are a bit dull. Melodies that just run ....and run....and run...over the same lines. It gets boring.

I would much rather listen to well constructed songs. In this sense, I prefer The Clash, The Smiths and Primal Scream. They know rock and roll.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    I'd say Jay-Z is easily the best rapper there is today, only Eminem, Nas & Lupe Fiasco are competing with him in my opinion.

Reasonable Doubt is a great album, standout tracks to download Dead Presidents II, Regrets, Brooklyn's Finest (great chance to hear him & Biggie together), Can I Live & Can't Knock The Hustle.

I'd also recommend The City Is Mine & You Must Love Me from In My Lifetime Vol. 1.

The Roc La Familia: Dynasty album has some great tracks, the definite downloads should be Can't Be Life, Where Have You Been, Soon You'll Understand, Parking Lot Pimpin', Guilty Until Proven Innocent & even the Intro on this album is hard.

The Blueprint has some ill ones, mainly Heart Of The City, Takeover, Jigga That Nigga, Renegade, Song Cry & U Don't Know.

The Blueprint 2 is underrated imo, some great songs on here. My personal favourite is the album opener Blueprint 2 which is to the tune of The Good, The Bad & The Ugly theme, The Bounce with Kanye is also hard, The Watcher 2 is almost as good as the Dr. Dre original. Rocky is pretty good as well, whilst Guns & Roses & 2 Many Hoes are live. The standout track though has to be A Dream, which features Biggie & Faith Evans. One of the best rap songs of this decade.

The Black Album is ok, not as good as some of the others in my opinion, but still has some very good songs like Threat, Encore, Moment Of Clarity & 99 Problems, which you've probably heard.

Kingdom Come is another underrated album, has 2 truly great tracks on it in Lost One & Minority Report. Dig A Hole & Show Me What You Got are also decent songs.

American Gangster wasn't really up to standard for me, but Roc Boys & Pray are both good tunes.

Blueprint 3 is his most recent album, again I was a bit disappointed with it, but Run This Town, A Star Is Born & Reminder are a good listen.

Anyway that's all I could think of off the top of my head, but you should check some of those out.
    Top man Jaz, cheers for info
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HAHAHAHA

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: JAY-Z - Please educate me fellas

I'm all for music being outrageous and challenging people, but Eminem and Jay-Z are a bit dull. Melodies that just run ....and run....and run...over the same lines. It gets boring.

I would much rather listen to well constructed songs. In this sense, I prefer The Clash, The Smiths and Primal Scream. They know rock and roll.
    I love you again but go check out the link I sent!!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Mad Missy View Post

I love you again but go check out the link I sent!!
    Is is listening, Missy! Some interesting stuff there. It has a pulse.

Thread Information