Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your stranded on a Desert Island ...........

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Your stranded on a Desert Island ...........

Ok, it's a good 6 years since I've done this thread in here, and due to the fact I'm very limited with my creativity, and the fact that things may well have changed over the years, I think it's about time I posted it again......

Ok, so this is the drill, imagine this........

You have been stranded on a desert island, and you dont know if you will ever be rescued . You have plenty of food and drink on the island to see you through and there are also some pretty hot and horny female natives knocking about to keep you occupied in that regard .

Also, and this is a big bonus, just perched below the most ridiculously comfortable looking hammock you ever did see.......

As luck would have it, low and behold, there is only a fully working T.V./DVD combo......

So, the question I pose is this......

If you had the chance to take with you 5 boxing Dvd's of your choice, which 5 fights would you take ?

You need to bear in mind that these Dvd's may well have to last you for the rest of your days. You could simply choose your 5 most favourite fights, or a fight that involved your favourite KO, or a fight that saw the fighter you love to hate 'skooled' good and proper, or possibly a fight that has some sort of personal sentiment that relates to you.........

Choose your Dvd's very carefully, have a real good think about it before you post, and whilst your having a good think, I'll post the 5 boxing Dvd's I'd take with me to kick us off...........

1. Hatton v Tsyzu

This would have to be my number 1 choice for so many reasons. It's certainly not my favourite fight to watch from Hatton, that would be the Ray Oliveira fight. But it was the fight in which Rick realised his life long dream. Tszyu was always an idol of Ricky's, and this was the fight he always wanted. It was also the definitive fight of Hatton's career. The atmosphere in the M.E.N arena that night was beyond words, and has yet to be eclipsed for me personally, it was the stuff of legend. And if I'm to be stuck on a Desert Island for the rest of my life, then this fight needs to be with me. Great memories, that mean even more now due to my relationship with our Richard.

2. De la Hoya v Vargas

Oscar, along with Rick and Roy, has always been a huge idol of mine. I have watched all of Oscar's fights many, many times, and never get sick. But this is the one I love the most, and very deserving of my number 2 pick. After all the years of trash talk from Fernando, this was the night Oscar had the chance to finally shut his mouth once and for all. I remember being nervous as hell for this fight, I always worried that Vargas might be just too big ( And this was before the steriods came to light, obviously).

I got the feeling from Oscar that this fight probably meant more to him at this stage of his career than any of his previous fights, such was the needle between him and Vargas. As the fight started I was very worried, Vargas looked huge compared to Oscar, and my worst fears began torturing my mind. But as the fight unfolded, Oscar started to look more and more comfortable. That left hook that dropped Vargas was Oscar's trademark, I remember leaping out of my seat, screaming at the T.V., the range of emotions that went through me that night were ridiculous. From the first bell, to the flurry from Oscar that ended the fight, it was the epitome of the emotional boxing rollercoaster. Great fight, great win, and another fight that would need to be with me for the rest of my days.

3. Jones Jnr v Kelly

Now I know what your thinking, but please bear with me on this one. The reason I have chosen this fight from Roy as my 3rd pick is quite simple, for me this was the Jones boy at his scintillating best, and it pretty much sums up and captures everything about the phenomenon that was Roy Jones Jnr. I appreciate Kelly wasnt anywhere near PFP material, but that matters not, at this stage of his career, Jones was so dominant he'd have beaten King Kong.

What I loved about this fight the most was the finish, the classic 'Rooster' punch, you just cant write that, it's when fact becomes stranger than fiction. If you had have seen the punch in a movie you would have disgarded it as outrageously far fetched. For me it highlights everything I loved about Roy Jones Jnr, the skills, the cheek, the showmanship and downright absurd talent the guy possessed. And for that reason alone, that's my 3rd pick.

4. Hamed v Kelley

Naz certainly wasnt everyones cup of tea, you either loved him or hated him, and I must admit, when it came to bringing something completely different to the table, I loved him. He was cocky, arrogant, and talked far too much, but the little guy had dynamite in his fists and that alone brought excitement at the highest level. His American debut against Kevin Kelley had everything. From being dropped twice, to dropping Kelley 3 times and knocking him out, it has to go down as one of the most entertaining 4 rounds in British boxing history. Also, and not many people will know this, but without Naseem Hamed, this boxing site more than likely would not be here. So for that reason alone, I'm taking Naz v Kelley as my 4th choice.

5. Limon v Chacon 4

The 1980's were quite rightly remembered as the golden era of boxing. The Fab Four of Hearns, Hagler, Leonard and Duran will always come ahead of anything else during that period in most people's memories. But the battles between Chacon, Limon and Boza Edwards have to rank right up there with anything the Fab Four produced. This one in particular was the 4th meeting between Chacon and Limon. They shared a win a piece and a technical draw on the resume. So this was the rubber match if you like, and the first time a meeting between the two had a world title on the line, namely the WBC Jnr Lightweight.

This was one hell of a ding dong battle, and a fight you can never get tired of watching. Limon had dropped Chacon twice during the fight, but Chacon just never gave up. In the 15th round and with only 15 seconds left in the fight, Chacon dropped Limon hard with a cracking right hand. Limon got up and was effectively saved by the bell. That knockdown gave Chacon the title on the cards by a point. A great fight, a real war, and bearing in mind all the terrible things that had happened to Chacon before and after the fight, this was one of the very few happy times in his sad life. This just pips Barrera and Morales 1 as my last choice, mainly because as much as I loved that fight, the result always pisses me off. Funnily enough, the result in their 2nd fight makes me feel exactly the same way.

So, thats my 5 people, now tell me your 5 favourite Boxing Desert Island Discs .......

Last edited by Jimmy G-Force; 12-18-2009 at 05:39 AM.
    Some people say boxing is a matter of life or death, it's not, it's far more important than that.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Your stranded on a Desert Island ...........

1. 100 Best Knockouts
    2. Trinidad Vs. Vargas
    3. Morales Vs. Barrera I
    4. Gomez Vs. Zarate
    5. Corrales Vs. Castillo

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ok, here we go -

1. Hatton v Tsyzu

Same reasons as stated by yourself - bestlive boxing event EVER attended not only for the fight but the whole weekend, and watching the fight it would bring back all those great memories !

2. Morales v Barrera I

For me the best grudge match against two of the best Mexicans of the day, that were producing some of the best fights at that time in their career's. Could never get sick of watching that fight, and as mentioned a wrong decision at the end of the day, but it was overturned in the second match albeit both losers being on the wrong end of the decision.

3. Hamed v Robinson

Hamed of course is ya typical marmite fighter, but as I love marmite, and Hamed's style and unpredictability he had to figure in my top5. I chose this particular fight as I feel this was his most complete boxing masterclass he handed out to any opponent he faced in his career. The Kelley fight did come close in my reckoning, but for sheer boxing abilities this one takes it.

4. Tyson v Berbick

As a young'un this fight inspired me in the playground as the was a fat kid who kept picking on my mates at school. After watching this I felt if this small bloke can go out and knockout a man much bigger than he was, then why carnt I take on the big fat kid in the playground. Now dont get me wrong im no Mike Tyson but it gave me the spirit to confront him and ultimately take him down when it came to playtime. Would bring back sooo many memories of one's childhood. Also i guess this was probably the first fight when I saw the classic "chicken legs" dance, and geez what a dance he done across the ring, tops Judah's dance hands down.

5. Hagler v Hearns

As ive mentioned in another thread "best fight ever", this for me had everything, it was the 'golden era' of boxing and the time when I really started getting into the beautiful game. And to this day Hearns is most definately a hero of mine. His longevity was awesome, added to the weight divisions he went through makes him one of my favourite boxers of all time.

Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gatti Ward I
    Castillo Corrales I
    Vasquez Marquez III
    Ali Frazier I
    Hagler Hearns

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson-Holyfield 1
    Holyfield-Bowe 1
    Ali-Frazier 1
    Chavez-Taylor 1
    Leonard-Hearns 1

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I struggled to pick only 5 but narrowed it down to my first thoughts....

Barrera Vs Morales 1

Great battle when everone thought Barrera was done... he proved his greatness that night in defeat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2BiK8DwBEw
    Cotto vs Pac Man

Quite new but for me Manny proved without a doubt just how great he is and Cotto showed amazing heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJttAb7cq-0Ali Vs Forman
    The fight that made Ali the greatest IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIxIPz4MIAENaz Vs Kelly
    massive naz fan and that was prob one his most exciting fights with Kelly knowing he has his number and he nearly did that night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ1pnz1k2iY
    Lewis Vs Tua to help me get to sleep at night

Dempsey Vs Willard
    the coming of Dempsy what a distructive litte guy he was still watch that one now and again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3BTycNuY44
    Last edited by Saddo; 12-17-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im not taking a DVD player , im taking Natile Portman and Keira Knightly , so i have a choice of two hats
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1st off good to see you on here posting...

Assuming NO compilation DVDs I'd take;

Since I lived these fights ringside Castillo vs. Corrales 1, Rafa vs. Izzy 1 &2 I wont need to take them I can just close my eyes and relive them...

1. Jorge Castro vs. John D. Jackson 1 - Up there as one of the greatest comebacks.
    2. Alexis Arguello vs. Aaron Pryor 1 - I know officially he lost BUT forever in my books he hands down won that fight.
    3. Salvador Sanchez vs. Wilfredo Gomez - I get excited just thinking about it. From the battle of the bands to what is IMO the greatest stare down EVER.
    4. Johnny Tapia vs. Paulie Ayala 1 - A brilliant match up with lots of excitement.
    5. Jorge Paez vs. Calvin Groove 1 - 3 knockdowns in the 15th round to pull off a great comeback and capture the title.
    Last edited by CutMeMick; 12-17-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. Herol Graham v Rod Douglas - artistic beat down of undefeated clubber lank type southpaw that had beaten Benn in the amateurs.
    2. Neary v Holligan - intense Liverpool war
    3. Benn v McClennon - got me off my seat
    4. McCallum v Watson - jab and body shots were wicked
    5. JCC v Edwin Rosario - nothing could stop JCC
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hearns v Hagler, for when i have a spare 15 minutes.
    Tszyu v Judah, to see the breakdance at the end.
    Harding v Andries 1 first fight of probably the most underrated trilogy ever.
    Adamek v Briggs 1 another underrated classic
    Marquez v Vasquez 3 just love that fight and especially the drama at the end.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ask me tomorrow and I'd probably give you five different ones but today its:-

Leonard/Hearns 1
    Ali/Frazier 1 and 3 (dual layer DVD)
    Castillo/Corales 1
    Mayorga/Forrest 1
    McGuigan/Pedroza
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Right now it would be -

1. Corrales vs Castillo 1.

Absolutely awesome fight & I never get tired of how Corrales finds that something to stop Castillo after twice being dropped. For me, in those moments he became a certain absolute hall-of-famer. Best fight of all time for me.

2. Mayweather vs Hatton.

The hype for this fight was crazy & so many people started to believe that Hatton would take Mayweather somewhere he'd never been. As a big Mayweather fan, I was always confident he could do it & I think it was the most excited I've ever been for the fight, because it was amazingly huge here. Only Tyson/Lewis has really been comparable in my lifetime. It also had that great KO.

3. Hagler vs Hearns

Such a great fight & fact it's short always makes it watchable.

4. Leonard vs Hearns 1.

A great long fight & the back & forth is brilliant. It goes one way then the other. Another true classic.

5. Mayweather vs Corrales

These guys were 2 of my favourite fighter of all time & I found this fight brilliant to watch, because it emphasized the 2 things that really define these men. Mayweather's skills & Corrales' heart, although in my opinion they both had plenty of what the other had. As sad as it is to see Corrales take that beating, his toughness defies belief in this fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosley v delahoya I
    Jones Jr v Telesco
    Holyfied v bowe II
    Castillo v corrales I
    Taylor v Chavez
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh-oh! Seems like the evil TitoFan snuck into your DVD collection and sabotaged it. See changes below. Meanwhile, hmmm... let me think about my own DVD collection for that desert island...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy G-Force View Post

Ok, it's a good 6 years since I've done this thread in here, and due to the fact I'm very limited with my creativity, and the fact that things may well have changed over the years, I think it's about time I posted it again......

Ok, so this is the drill, imagine this........

You have been stranded on a desert island, and you dont know if you will ever be rescued . You have plenty of food and drink on the island to see you through and there are also some pretty hot and horny female natives knocking about to keep you occupied in that regard .

Also, and this is a big bonus, just perched below the most ridiculously comfortable looking hammock you ever did see.......

As luck would have it, low and behold, there is only a fully working T.V./DVD combo......

So, the question I pose is this......

If you had the chance to take with you 5 boxing Dvd's of your choice, which 5 fights would you take ?

You need to bear in mind that these Dvd's may well have to last you for the rest of your days. You could simply choose your 5 most favourite fights, or a fight that involved your favourite KO, or a fight that saw the fighter you love to hate 'skooled' good and proper, or possibly a fight that has some sort of personal sentiment that relates to you.........

Choose your Dvd's very carefully, have a real good think about it before you post, and whilst your having a good think, I'll post the 5 boxing Dvd's I'd take with me to kick us off...........

1. Hatton v Tsyzu Pacquaio (On the plus side... it's shorter)

This would have to be my number 1 choice for so many reasons. It's certainly not my favourite fight to watch from Hatton, that would be the Ray Oliveira fight. But it was the fight in which Rick realised his life long dream. Tszyu was always an idol of Ricky's, and this was the fight he always wanted. It was also the definitive fight of Hatton's career. The atmosphere in the M.E.N arena that night was beyond words, and has yet to be eclipsed for me personally, it was the stuff of legend. And if I'm to be stuck on a Desert Island for the rest of my life, then this fight needs to be with me. Great memories, that mean even more now due to my relationship with our Richard.

2. De la Hoya v Vargas Pacquiao (Hmm... no wonder I've become such a Pac fan)

Oscar, along with Rick and Roy, has always been a huge idol of mine. I have watched all of Oscar's fights many, many times, and never get sick. But this is the one I love the most, and very deserving of my number 2 pick. After all the years of trash talk from Fernando, this was the night Oscar had the chance to finally shut his mouth once and for all. I remember being nervous as hell for this fight, I always worried that Vargas might be just too big ( And this was before the steriods came to light, obviously).

I got the feeling from Oscar that this fight probably meant more to him at this stage of his career than any of his previous fights, such was the needle between him and Vargas. As the fight started I was very worried, Vargas looked huge compared to Oscar, and my worst fears began torturing my mind. But as the fight unfolded, Oscar started to look more and more comfortable. That left hook that dropped Vargas was Oscar's trademark, I remember leaping out of my seat, screaming at the T.V., the range of emotions that went through me that night were ridiculous. From the first bell, to the flurry from Oscar that ended the fight, it was the epitome of the emotional boxing rollercoaster. Great fight, great win, and another fight that would need to be with me for the rest of my days.

3. Jones Jnr v Kelly

Now I know what your thinking, but please bear with me on this one. The reason I have chosen this fight from Roy as my 3rd pick is quite simple, for me this was the Jones boy at his scintillating best, and it pretty much sums up and captures everything about the phenomenon that was Roy Jones Jnr. I appreciate Kelly wasnt anywhere near PFP material, but that matters not, at this stage of his career, Jones was so dominant he'd have beaten King Kong.

What I loved about this fight the most was the finish, the classic 'Rooster' punch, you just cant write that, it's when fact becomes stranger than fiction. If you had have seen the punch in a movie you would have disgarded it as outrageously far fetched. For me it highlights everything I loved about Roy Jones Jnr, the skills, the cheek, the showmanship and downright absurd talent the guy possessed. And for that reason alone, that's my 3rd pick.

4. Hamed v Kelley Pacquaio (just kidding)... I mean, Barrera (C'mon... tell me that wasn't fun to watch).

Naz certainly wasnt everyones cup of tea, you either loved him or hated him, and I must admit, when it came to bringing something completely different to the table, I loved him. He was cocky, arrogant, and talked far too much, but the little guy had dynamite in his fists and that alone brought excitement at the highest level. His American debut against Kevin Kelley had everything. From being dropped twice, to dropping Kelley 3 times and knocking him out, it has to go down as one of the most entertaining 4 rounds in British boxing history. Also, and not many people will know this, but without Naseem Hamed, this boxing site more than likely would not be here. So for that reason alone, I'm taking Naz v Kelley as my 4th choice.

5. Limon v Chacon 4

The 1980's were quite rightly remembered as the golden era of boxing. The Fab Four of Hearns, Hagler, Leonard and Duran will always come ahead of anything else during that period in most people's memories. But the battles between Chacon, Limon and Boza Edwards have to rank right up there with anything the Fab Four produced. This one in particular was the 4th meeting between Chacon and Limon. They shared a win a piece and a technical draw on the resume. So this was the rubber match if you like, and the first time a meeting between the two had a world title on the line, namely the WBC Jnr Lightweight.

This was one hell of a ding dong battle, and a fight you can never get tired of watching. Limon had dropped Chacon twice during the fight, but Chacon just never gave up. In the 15th round and with only 15 seconds left in the fight, Chacon dropped Limon hard with a cracking right hand. Limon got up and was effectively saved by the bell. That knockdown gave Chacon the title on the cards by a point. A great fight, a real war, and bearing in mind all the terrible things that had happened to Chacon before and after the fight, this was one of the very few happy times in his sad life. This just pips Barrera and Morales 1 as my last choice, mainly because as much as I loved that fight, the result always pisses me off. Funnily enough, the result in their 2nd fight makes me feel exactly the same way.

So, thats my 5 people, now tell me your 5 favourite Boxing Desert Island Discs .......

The rest of the list is ok.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Marco Antonio Barrera-Kennedy McKinney (best live fight I ever seen)
    Rafael Marquez-Israel Vasquez 3
    Joel Casamayor-Diego Corrales 1
    Michael Moorer-Burt Cooper
    Kevin Kelly-Alejandro Gonzalez

Thread Information