1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Clottey v. Pacquiao

Quote Originally Posted by mad_takamura View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugilistic View Post
    Clottey would be a very tough fight for Pacquiao.

I would actually pick Clottey to win. Clottey has a tight guard, can take a good punch when he has to and his offensive game is underated. Clottey has a solid jab, sneaky right hand and is good at putting punches together plus he is way natural bigger than Pacquiao.

Clottey's workrate could be his downfall because Pacquiao is an offensive manchine who can punch constantly for 12 rounds.
    How many times do we have to heed the lessons of the past to look at the bright light?

Clottey is just the same as cotto. diaz. hatton. de la hoya. a guy who goes straight to his foes. That's what pac wants. and he's going to get brutalized by pac while pac is giving him different angles. A tight guard doe'snt mean a thing when your opponent is faster than you and has great footwork. Those 2 attributes pac has. and just like what you said clottey's work rate is his down fall and believe me it will. Pac would'nt give clottey a moment to breathe during his fast assault. And speed kills. most especially if:
    1. the other guy is bigger therefore slower
    2. the other guy doe'snt counter well in the league of jmm.pbf. and casa.
    3. the other guy is not a slick. elusive fighter like pernell or pbf.

And that's the bottomline...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by milmascaras1 View Post
    i think clottey can definitely beat pacquiao but this fight will never happen because roach would never risk his cashcow pacquiao against a very dangerous fighter. besides, clottey wouldn't bring in the big bucks that pacquiao now demands. i also think clottey would walk through pacquiao's punches unlike cotto who's punch resistance isn't as good as clottey's. i also think clottey's superior jab would give pacquiao all kinds of problems and would have him dazed and confused. morales and marquez showed the way to beat pacquiao and that is by using a very good strong jab to keep pacquiao off balance. i think clottey wins this one in a war by late TKO.
    Morales and marquez showed the way and de la hoya followed. What did pac do against that blueprint jab? Lead lefties then rolling under to the side. Hoya is known for his good jabs and killer left hooks yet because pac is faster than him, and even if hoya pursues pac with a barrage, pac is only going to duck those punches ala calderon and get away. That's what he's going to do to clottey too. Plus the jmm and em fights are years ago, pac definitely improved and stepped up to his game.
    I definitely want this fight to happen and we can have an avatar bet to see who wins. But like you said clottey is low reward for pac. But i disagree with you that he is a risk. Believe me, as strong as clottey is, pac is only going to toy with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanhatton View Post

I would actually pick Clottey to win. Clottey has a tight guard, can take a good punch when he has to and his offensive game is underated. Clottey has a solid jab, sneaky right hand and is good at putting punches together plus he is way natural bigger than Pacquiao.

Clottey's workrate could be his downfall because Pacquiao is an offensive manchine who can punch constantly for 12 rounds.
    How many times do we have to heed the lessons of the past to look at the bright light?

Clottey is just the same as cotto. diaz. hatton. de la hoya. a guy who goes straight to his foes. That's what pac wants. and he's going to get brutalized by pac while pac is giving him different angles. A tight guard doe'snt mean a thing when your opponent is faster than you and has great footwork. Those 2 attributes pac has. and just like what you said clottey's work rate is his down fall and believe me it will. Pac would'nt give clottey a moment to breathe during his fast assault. And speed kills. most especially if:

Before you roll your eyes explain to me your argument.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anybody can have a bet with me if this fight happens. You can bookmark this thread if you want. Avatar bets, even lifetime bets. I can assure you pac would toy with clottey and you can laugh at me right now if you want. But if this fight happens, my view on this fight,if ever it will happen, would have ground. And then i will be the one laughing at you eventually.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anybody can have a bet with me if this fight happens. You can bookmark this thread if you want. Avatar bets, even lifetime bets. I can assure you pac would toy with clottey and you can laugh at me right now if you want. But if this fight happens, my view on this fight,if ever it will happen, would have ground. And then i will be the one laughing at you eventually.
    No one "toys" with Clottey. They barely beat him.

If Cotto had stood in front of Clottey he probably would have been stopped. He beat Clottey by going off his back foot and trying to get away and do enough to win the rounds. After Clottey was thrown down he dispensed with his jab and started leading with other punches and winding up instead. No one can deny the fact that after he was thrown down he was a completely different fighter.

You cannot compare Clottey to Cotto or Oscar De La Hoya. Oscar De La Hoya was a shell of his former self and a skeleton when he fought Pacquiao. Cotto was there to be dominated as he'd shown how done he was by the time the Clottey fight rolled around.

Clottey has a style that could frustrate someone like Pacquiao. He isn't the kind of person who seems to have a breakable will and he has a good defense and jab and good handspeed. This would be a tough fight for Pacquiao in every sense of the word. No one has dominated Clottey and neither would Pacquiao.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    No one "toys" with Clottey. They barely beat him.

If Cotto had stood in front of Clottey he probably would have been stopped. He beat Clottey by going off his back foot and trying to get away and do enough to win the rounds. After Clottey was thrown down he dispensed with his jab and started leading with other punches and winding up instead. No one can deny the fact that after he was thrown down he was a completely different fighter.

You cannot compare Clottey to Cotto or Oscar De La Hoya. Oscar De La Hoya was a shell of his former self and a skeleton when he fought Pacquiao. Cotto was there to be dominated as he'd shown how done he was by the time the Clottey fight rolled around.

Clottey has a style that could frustrate someone like Pacquiao. He isn't the kind of person who seems to have a breakable will and he has a good defense and jab and good handspeed. This would be a tough fight for Pacquiao in every sense of the word. No one has dominated Clottey and neither would Pacquiao.
    You said cotto went off to his back foot just to pull that difficult win against joshua this means he went outside. right? Pac's offense doesn't come from the inside. his punches comes from the outside as well. With footwork to check distance and get off with his back foot and exploding speed to do those 1-2's or hooks after that while pivoting side ways. only pac can do that and he'll do it against joshua.
    In terms of speed who's faster? Cotto or Clottey? Cotto imo has faster hands than josh. don't discredit it just by saying that he's already damaged goods from margarito. If cotto is faster than clottey and pac manhandled him in speed. what do you think would happen to clottey if this fight happens?
    Clottey's style is to go straight forward and overpowers his foes. Not much side movement whatsoever. Pac would punch on different angles at great speed. Pac would eventually wear him down and tear him apart. might be even worse than cotto. Even if joshua would go for a stiff jab. i see pacquiao countering it with an uppercut-1-2 combination or a double lead.
    And about that hoya was a shot fighter? You may be right but even on his prime imo we'll get the same result if a prime hoya faced that same pacquiao during that night. Yes you maybe laughing on that line but it's my opinion and there's nothing we can do about it to know if i'm right or wrong. And funny nobody gave pac a chance before that fight happened and now everyone is saying hoya is shot etc. But what if hoya won? Would everyone say hoya's still shot?
    Styles makes fights and no matter how good your reputation is if you're a boxer whose a "come straight forward guy": then you're cold meat for the pac buzz saw. Believe me. We have fights like pac-diaz. pac-hatton. pac-cotto. pac-hoya as evidences.
    Pac would be the first guy to dominate clottey. Mark my words.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Before you roll your eyes explain to me your argument.
    for starters the fact you seems to judge any fighter with less speed than pacquiao as 'the same'

clottey wont just plod forward, hell work behind his jab which is the one thing that has in the past given pac a lot of trouble, JMM, Morales and cotto early on seemed to be able to give pac trouble with the jab

also bigger = slower ??

pretty sure RJJ is bigger than Margarito,Pavlik,Juan urango etc... is he slower because he is bigger ? you cant make such a generalisation as big = slow

and he isnt a slick, elusive fighter.... but neither was morales so does that really matter ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacstraightleft View Post
    We all saw him got knocked down from Cotto's jab. Pac would slice and dice him. Another 1-sided bloodbath.
    Clottey went on the attack, was off balance and Cotto timed a really good jab.

Clottey was nowhere near hurt from the shot and Pacquiao doesn't have Cotto's jab anyway.

Pacquiao would slice and dice him and win another 1 sided beatdown ? Are you kidding ?

Clottey is seriously hard to hit and is durable as hell, I don't see Pacquiao landing alot plus i see Clottey having alot of success with his combos which are seriously underated.

Pacquiao's only way to beat Clottey is to move, throw in spurts and repeat.

To beat Clottey you need to outwork him.
    Last edited by Pugilistic; 12-20-2009 at 10:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You have clearly only watched Clottey's last two fights.

Clottey is a good counter puncher.

Against Judah and Cotto, he had to press and that was a smart move by him because both those fighters hate pressure.

Pacquiao would have to stick and move to beat Clottey and trust me, Clottey would be alot tougher fight for Pacquiao than you think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We all saw him got knocked down from Cotto's jab. Pac would slice and dice him. Another 1-sided bloodbath.
    Clottey went on the attack was off balance and Cotto timed a really good jab.

Clottey was nowhere near hurt from the shot and Pacquiao doesn't have Cotto's jab anyway.

Pacquiao would slice and dice him and win another 1 sided beatdown ? Are you kidding ?

Clottey is seriously hard to hit and is durable as hell, I don't see Pacquiao landing alot plus i see Clottey having alot of success with his combos which are seriously underated.

yeah, too many pac fans seem to believe if one guy can do something ... pac can automatically do it better, cotto has one of the best jabs in boxing at the moment, he caught clottey sharp as he was coming in

pac's jab doesnt carry enough to do this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    clottey just doesn't have the workrate or flashiness to beat the elite fighters.

Exactly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah, too many pac fans seem to believe if one guy can do something ... pac can automatically do it better, cotto has one of the best jabs in boxing at the moment, he caught clottey sharp as he was coming in

Im a big fan of Cotto's but everything he can do, Pac did it better. Pacquiao has much more head jolting power and he prooved it, so your statement really doesnt make any since. Pacquiao would tee off on Clottey all night for a Dominant UD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by levi#1BoxingFan View Post

Im a big fan of Cotto's but everything he can do, Pac did it better. Pacquiao has much more head jolting power and he prooved it, so your statement really doesnt make any since. Pacquiao would tee off on Clottey all night for a Dominant UD.
    Cotto has more power than Pacquiao.

The difference in their fight was, Pacquiao was able to take Cotto's punches better than Cotto could take his.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by levi#1BoxingFan View Post

re read it, his jabs isnt as good as cotto's that was my point, just because cotto knocked clottey down with a jab doesnt mean pac can do the same

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by milmascaras1 View Post
    i think clottey can definitely beat pacquiao but this fight will never happen because roach would never risk his cashcow pacquiao against a very dangerous fighter. besides, clottey wouldn't bring in the big bucks that pacquiao now demands. i also think clottey would walk through pacquiao's punches unlike cotto who's punch resistance isn't as good as clottey's. i also think clottey's superior jab would give pacquiao all kinds of problems and would have him dazed and confused. morales and marquez showed the way to beat pacquiao and that is by using a very good strong jab to keep pacquiao off balance. i think clottey wins this one in a war by late TKO.
    Morales and marquez showed the way and de la hoya followed. What did pac do against that blueprint jab? Lead lefties then rolling under to the side. Hoya is known for his good jabs and killer left hooks yet because pac is faster than him, and even if hoya pursues pac with a barrage, pac is only going to duck those punches ala calderon and get away. That's what he's going to do to clottey too. Plus the jmm and em fights are years ago, pac definitely improved and stepped up to his game.
    I definitely want this fight to happen and we can have an avatar bet to see who wins. But like you said clottey is low reward for pac. But i disagree with you that he is a risk. Believe me, as strong as clottey is, pac is only going to toy with him.
    Comparing PAcquiao's defensive skills to Calderon's is laughable, the biggest problem OScar had with Pacquiao was footspeed, and the fact he never threw a legitimate jab the whole night, it was a distance finder the entire fight. Marquez, Morales, Cotto, and Marquez all landed their jabs on PAcquiao with ease and regularity. The problem is none of them are great and hitting and not being hit which is something Clottey is better at, and Mayweather is the master of, unfortunately Clottey is too much of a sitting target who doesn't throw enough punches.

Thread Information