Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Tsunami - Caught on camera. C4 last night

Did anyone catch this documentary that was on Channel 4 last night.

Fukking hell

It was quite simply the most riveting but emotionally devastating programme i have seen. I cannot even begin to imagine the grief that these people must feel over losing their loved ones. Looking on as their small children are swept away in front of their eyes.

The hour it was on was filled with minute after minute of truly harrowing footage (a lot of it never shown on TV before). The chap standing there as the tsunami hits the beach (you see him swept away like a match stick), the people clinging on to the trees, the couple finding their child is dead by seeing a photo pinned on a board. I mean...that truly is the worst thing EVER. I don't normally get upset about things and hey i know fellas tend to hold on to their emotions but i was genuinely upset watching this. The image of the guy next to the bike crying and asking god why he had been left....how utterly utterly devastating. That piece of foootage alone was so powerful it deserved its own award. All those poor parents that lost young kids. The Tsunami claimed almost 250,000 lives. Probably not the best placed comment i am going to make but in humanitarian and loss of life terms it makes 9/11 look like a toothache. A third were children. I had to go upstairs and hug my kids in their beds after watching.

The whole thing deserves a BAFTA award or something because i don't think you will find another bit of TV as riveting or as emotionally crushing as this.

Watching it made me realise that...although we are the dominant species on this planet and the top of the food chain. Humans have money, power, techonolgy. If mother nature wants to rear her head every now and again to show us who's boss, then there is not a thing we can do about it.....and boy can she be a b*tch!
    Last edited by Munkymagic; 12-31-2009 at 08:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tsunami - Caught on camera. C4 last night

That's the first time in a long time I have watched something on TV and have still been upset by it the next day. I can't and don't want to imagine what those people who lost kids went through.

It also makes you face the uncomortable reality that life is very fragile....

I also went upstairs and gave my daughter an extra hug last night.
    'To speak with his equal and irish man is forced to talk with God...'

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lifes a blink, live it the full .
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I haven't seen it, but your description sounds pretty intense. Hopefully we don't see anything like that again in a long long time. Just awful.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always find footage of that catastrophe to be very disturbing. I cannot think of a worse natural disaster ever.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I always find footage of that catastrophe to be very disturbing. I cannot think of a worse natural disaster ever.
    Yeah visually we get to see everything now good God we got cameras on bombs!

The plague would have had its moments.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Munkymagic View Post

Fukking hell

It was quite simply the most riveting but emotionally devastating programme i have seen. I cannot even begin to imagine the grief that these people must feel over losing their loved ones. Looking on as their small children are swept away in front of their eyes.

The hour it was on was filled with minute after minute of truly harrowing footage (a lot of it never shown on TV before). The chap standing there as the tsunami hits the beach (you see him swept away like a match stick), the people clinging on to the trees, the couple finding their child is dead by seeing a photo pinned on a board. I mean...that truly is the worst thing EVER. I don't normally get upset about things and hey i know fellas tend to hold on to their emotions but i was genuinely upset watching this. The image of the guy next to the bike crying and asking god why he had been left....how utterly utterly devastating. That piece of foootage alone was so powerful it deserved its own award. All those poor parents that lost young kids. The Tsunami claimed almost 250,000 lives. Probably not the best placed comment i am going to make but in humanitarian and loss of life terms it makes 9/11 look like a toothache. A third were children. I had to go upstairs and hug my kids in their beds after watching.

The whole thing deserves a BAFTA award or something because i don't think you will find another bit of TV as riveting or as emotionally crushing as this.

Watching it made me realise that...although we are the dominant species on this planet and the top of the food chain. Humans have money, power, techonolgy. If mother nature wants to rear her head every now and again to show us who's boss, then there is not a thing we can do about it.....and boy can she be a b*tch!

I watched and was shocked by the footage.

Mankind thinks its the most powerfull thhing on earth but this doc showed mother nature is still number 1.
    Balls

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkymagic View Post

Fukking hell

I watched and was shocked by the footage.

Mankind thinks its the most powerfull thhing on earth but this doc showed mother nature is still number 1.
    Not to make light of a horrible catastrophe, but that statement reminds me of this (George Carlin on nature):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjmtSkl53h4

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've seen a footage from the huge one that did strike Indonesia something like 2 years ago and it is horribly creepy, everything is normal and then you have that kind of one wave, too huge to look real by any stretch swallowing everything infront of him with peoples slowly panicking and realizing what's going on. Definitely creepy.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do not tend to watch these films, the twin towers still get me, the worst i saw was people killing animals for food, dropping a cow from a height and boiling a cat alive. Put me off meat for a week.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information