Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Sorry, who is Floyd fighting?

Bradley? Cintron? Malignaggi? Sure they are all competent opponents for your average champion, but why the hell isn't Mayweather waiting for the winner of Berto-Mosley? It seems absurd... I mean Pacquiao is fighting the only other viable welterweight. The only option Floyd has to not look like a punk is to face Berto or Mosley. Sure they are pretty much as dangerous as Pacquiao stylistically for Floyd, but he needs to fight one of these two in April or May. If he and Manny fight on March 13th on opposing cards not only will he lose the HBO PPV because Manny will have a way better undercard and the first fight in the Cowboys stadium, but also because he will lose the negotiation rights for a fight with Manny. If Pacquiao faces CLottey with an excellent undercard and Floyd faces any of the three I mentioned he will be blown out of the water sales wise. If he faces the winner of Mosley/Berto there will be enough hype for the winner of that fight that Mayweather will easily do 1 million+ against them, but it will also make him THE champ at welterweight. That would take both the popularity and the conventional wisdom of whose the real champion out of Manny's hands. It will force Manny to fight Floyd for his belt, and IMO if Mayweather beats his opponent handily it could place him above Pacquiao p4p because I can't see Manny doing really great against Joshua Clottey, sure he will win, but it won't be as pretty as his other fights.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sorry, who is Floyd fighting?

I would imagine that if Floyd fought elsewhere that there is no way HBO wouldn't broadcast it. Besides, they have to utilize that giant video screen somehow, why not let the people attendance see Mayweather fight elsewhere. As for who he's fighting, I would like to see him take on Mosley or Berto, or Williams, or anyone really I don't really care as long as it's not Matthew Hatton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    I would imagine that if Floyd fought elsewhere that there is no way HBO wouldn't broadcast it. Besides, they have to utilize that giant video screen somehow, why not let the people attendance see Mayweather fight elsewhere. As for who he's fighting, I would like to see him take on Mosley or Berto, or Williams, or anyone really I don't really care as long as it's not Matthew Hatton.
    Why WIlliams? IMO he has not shown he is worthy of a fight with Mayweather. He looked impressive against Winky Wright, but he looked a lot worse against Martinez and Quintana. I think he is easy pickings for Mayweather. IMO Floyd has to go for Mosley or Berto to earn true credibility. Bradley, Malignaggi and Cintron make sense for comeback fights, but he has been back and they aren't peaking my interest. Why not leap frog over Manny in terms of his p4p and welterweight ranking?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Bradley? Cintron? Malignaggi? Sure they are all competent opponents for your average champion, but why the hell isn't Mayweather waiting for the winner of Berto-Mosley?
    "If Mayweather wins his March bout, Schaefer said he could next meet Shane Mosley, the welterweight champion (and Golden Boy partner) who first faces Andre Berto in a Jan. 30 unification fight. Before taking the fight with Berto, Mosley spent months trying to land a bout with either Mayweather or Pacquiao"

Floyd Mayweather to fight on same day as Manny Pacquiao - ESPN

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why WIlliams? IMO he has not shown he is worthy of a fight with Mayweather. He looked impressive against Winky Wright, but he looked a lot worse against Martinez and Quintana. I think he is easy pickings for Mayweather. IMO Floyd has to go for Mosley or Berto to earn true credibility. Bradley, Malignaggi and Cintron make sense for comeback fights, but he has been back and they aren't peaking my interest. Why not leap frog over Manny in terms of his p4p and welterweight ranking?
    I said or anyone really, meaning anyone but those guys. I don't know how you figure Williams isn't worthy of a fight when Malignaggi, Cintron and Matthew Hatton are being mentioned. If you make a list of 5 guys you want to see Floyd fight, wouldn't you have Williams in there? If not then I don't know what there is to say. He didn't look great against a really good fighter in Martinez but he would at least give Floyd a challenge. Williams is on most everyone's top 10-12 P4P list.

Also, Berto is going to have to put a bigtime performance in this month to even be half as worthy of a Mayweather fight then Williams. I know he has all these great physical gifts but he hasn't put them together yet and off his last 2 fights he should lose to Mosley.

I'm a fan of Berto believe it or not but no way am I even mildly interested in Floyd fighting the very unproven Berto. At least we know what Williams is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So Mayweather is now getting put down for thinking of fighting Cintron,Bradley Mallinaggi yet there all same calibre as Clottey really yet Pacquiao isn't getting put down if he had agreed to the 14 day cut off we would have Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never lost from sight that Williams has an history of struggles against active southpaws, which Quintana and Martinez are. with his freak range and absolute constant barrage of punches, I think that he definitely has some brilliant tools to give Mayweather some serious difficulties.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tysonbruno View Post
    So Mayweather is now getting put down for thinking of fighting Cintron,Bradley Mallinaggi yet there all same calibre as Clottey really yet Pacquiao isn't getting put down if he had agreed to the 14 day cut off we would have Mayweather vs Pacquiao
    Wrong. Bradley and Malignaggi are 140 pound fighters and Clottey is at a higher level than Cintron although that is a close match-up. I doubt Cintron is in the running. He last fought at 154 and Mayweather recently hasn't shown much interest in fighting fighters who usually fight above 140. A Pacquiao-Clottey fight is much more interesting than a Mayweather-Paulie fight. I just hope Mayweather makes the same blood-testing demands for these opponents as he did for Pacquiao.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 01-11-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Wrong. Bradley and Malignaggi are 140 pound fighters and Clottey is at a higher level than Cintron although that is a close match-up. I doubt Cintron is in the running. He last fought at 154 and Mayweather recently hasn't shown much interest in fighting fighters who usually fight above 140. A Pacquiao-Clottey fight is much more interesting than a Mayweather-Paulie fight. I just hope Mayweather makes the same blood-testing demands for these opponents as he did for Pacquiao.
    either guy he fights next didn't start his career at 106 (a fact that Manny and his fans love to boast about), and ended up being as effective at 147 as they were at say bantamweight, so it's a completely different story

it's like saying that you'd expect Pacquiao to make a penalty for the weight as he did for Mayweather

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'am not that fussed who Mayweather fights aslong as he fights the winner of Mosley/Berto he hasnt been in the ring since september so shake of the ring rust and then fight again in May/June.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Couldn't Pacquiao have gone for the Mosely - Berto winner though?
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    either guy he fights next didn't start his career at 106 (a fact that Manny and his fans love to boast about), and ended up being as effective at 147 as they were at say bantamweight, so it's a completely different story

it's like saying that you'd expect Pacquiao to make a penalty for the weight as he did for Mayweather
    I disagree. There is a history behind the Mayweather weight demand and Mosley has tested positive for juice in the past. There is no history Pac has taken drugs. That just has to be the explanation after he has looked so good in his recent fights, right?

And wasn't there a weight penalty for Cotto? I think there was. Not sure though.

Anyway, the only fight that matters for Mayweather is Mosley and Mosley has said he agrees to any kind of testing.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    Couldn't Pacquiao have gone for the Mosely - Berto winner though?
    Oscar said any Golden Boy fighter will require Pacquiao to submit to tests for any fight with its fighters. Pacquiao for some reason doesn't want to take take tests.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everyone is so worried about who floyd can fight with no pac in the picture. Say he beat pac, he can fight the same people he would have fought then. They had been planning on fighting pac, so give em more than five minutes to decide something new. I saw both of them should run towards paul williams. He'd be a tougher fight for both guys anyway.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I said or anyone really, meaning anyone but those guys. I don't know how you figure Williams isn't worthy of a fight when Malignaggi, Cintron and Matthew Hatton are being mentioned. If you make a list of 5 guys you want to see Floyd fight, wouldn't you have Williams in there? If not then I don't know what there is to say. He didn't look great against a really good fighter in Martinez but he would at least give Floyd a challenge. Williams is on most everyone's top 10-12 P4P list.

Also, Berto is going to have to put a bigtime performance in this month to even be half as worthy of a Mayweather fight then Williams. I know he has all these great physical gifts but he hasn't put them together yet and off his last 2 fights he should lose to Mosley.

I'm a fan of Berto believe it or not but no way am I even mildly interested in Floyd fighting the very unproven Berto. At least we know what Williams is.
    It wouldn't be current Berto, but a Berto that beat the number 1 WW in the world. That alone would make Berto a more accomplished fighter than Paul Williams, and I don't think Paul beat Martinez which IMO means he should be facing Martinez again, or Floyd would be facing Sergio. We also don't know if Paul can even get back down to 147.

Thread Information