Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canada v USA

Yeah now that I think about it I'd heard of Salo. Well at least their winning so far tonight. Burrows seems to be pretty good.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post

If it's disappointment and heartbreak you look for in a hockey team then look no farther than the Vancouver Canucks, one of the most pathetic franchises in the history of athletics. 40 years of hockey, no championships, and only two trips to the finals. They didn't make the playoffs or have a winning team for something like 15 years straight and yet somehow I love them.
    So the Canucks are like the NHL's version of the NFL's Detroit Lions?
    You be the judge:

Vancouver Canucks (1970-Present)
    They're actually worse! Haven't won a championship and had bad seasons for 15 years.

Yes the Lions have been bad the last 10 years but at least they have 3 championships in their history although this was before the Superbowl era but still it's something. And they were pretty decent during the Barry Sanders years and made the playoffs.

I think a more appropriate comparison would be to the NBA's Clippers.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    Yeah now that I think about it I'd heard of Salo. Well at least their winning so far tonight. Burrows seems to be pretty good.
    Goddamnit, I didn't want to know how the game was going. I'm watching the replay at 7.

Anyways, Burrows is great. He's dynamite with the Sedins on the top line. He's got something like 17 goals in the last 22 games, including back to back hattricks Without them he's just a very good 3rd liner though.

He has an amazing story too, he went undrafted and somehow came to be regarded as the world's best ball-hockey player. The Manitoba Moose (the Canucks farm team) signed him and he played there and eventually got a chance to play with the Canucks after some injuries because he was such a hard worker. After being told he was in danger of being cut the following training camp, he proved his worth as a 3 liner and a penalty-killer. He rarely scored for the Moose or the Canucks, but his work-ethic and ability to agitate the opposition became legendary. He developed great chemistry with Ryan Kesler, played on the second line some of last year, and when the Canucks went through a 13 (I think) game losing streak last year he and Kesler were broken up (at the time they were the only guys playing well) and he was put on the top line, where he immediately began to score. He has been there ever since. Last season, he signed a 4 year contract for 2M/year, which was a MASSIVE discount. I love Burrows

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here are Burrow's and Kesler talking shit at David Backes of the St. Louis Blues in last years playoffs. Kelly is Backes' wife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1angy_kjuk

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So the Canucks are like the NHL's version of the NFL's Detroit Lions?
    You be the judge:

Vancouver Canucks (1970-Present)
    They're actually worse! Haven't won a championship and had bad seasons for 15 years.

Yes the Lions have been bad the last 10 years but at least they have 3 championships in their history although this was before the Superbowl era but still it's something. And they were pretty decent during the Barry Sanders years and made the playoffs.

I think a more appropriate comparison would be to the NBA's Clippers.
    The Vancouver Millionaires won the Stanley Cup in 1917 before the NHL even existed. That is all a major-league Vancouver hockey team has ever won

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

haha my bad. I won't go ahead with my planned play by play.

give your balls a tug you fucking pussy was kind of funny.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does everyone play a fourth line that is pretty much just grinders/fighters types? Is the point of that basically just that teams can't afford financially to have four lines of good offensive players?

Well I guess I am a Canucks fan. Woo. That game last night was pure hilarity. It seemed to me that the refs bent Vancouver over a bit at times but it also seemed like Chicago lured Vancouver into a chippy game with a ton of fights and then they kept their composure while Vancouver didn't.

From my short time I have developed an expertise about Vancouver and would say they need one really good defender and an upgrade to the third line. That may be way off. My three favorite players are Burrows, Kesler, and Demitra so I hope they sign/resign those guys. Well I guess Demitra's kind of old.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I guess I am a Canucks fan. Woo.

This is like the start of a relationship, all rosey feeling and exciting I bet for you eh Ouma? I don't need to remind you how most relationships work and end do I?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The "eh" part just slipped out didn't it? Man reverting to his natural state and all that.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does everyone play a fourth line that is pretty much just grinders/fighters types? Is the point of that basically just that teams can't afford financially to have four lines of good offensive players?

Well I guess I am a Canucks fan. Woo. That game last night was pure hilarity. It seemed to me that the refs bent Vancouver over a bit at times but it also seemed like Chicago lured Vancouver into a chippy game with a ton of fights and then they kept their composure while Vancouver didn't.

From my short time I have developed an expertise about Vancouver and would say they need one really good defender and an upgrade to the third line. That may be way off. My three favorite players are Burrows, Kesler, and Demitra so I hope they sign/resign those guys. Well I guess Demitra's kind of old.
    That's very accurate. The Canucks are a #1 defender and a third line center away from being a complete team. Unfortunately, thanks to the salary cap, there are not more complete teams. Unfortunately, #1 defensemen do not come along all too often. The 'Nucks defense is solid, but it lacks a true 22+ minute defenseman.

As for the fourth line, on most teams it is usually composed of hard hitting guys who can fight, though some teams rely on youngsters. Generally speaking, if your fourth line keeps the puck in the opponents zone it is considered a good shift.

Chicago handled the Canucks last night, but the Canucks did the same thing to the 'Hawks last time around. One the thing the 'Hawks are extremely proficient at is getting in Luongo's head and disruption his game. They are the only team I want to avoid at all costs in the playoffs.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

are you watching this CFH?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

are you watching this CFH?
    I left to go to the grocery store when it was 3-0, thoroughly disgusted with Luongo and the rest of the team and when I get back in my car and turn on the radio I find out that it's 4-2 (Samuelson scored right afterwards). The Canucks are the best team in the league this year at winning games they're losing in the 3rd period.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm curious to hear what you think of NHL hockey so far Ouma. It's the regular season, so there is little of the intensity which marked the Olympics (it'll be there in the playoffs though) and the game isn't played at the same skill level, but do you find it entertaining?

I suggest you watch the game on the 13th, it'll be the Canucks first home game in over a month because of the Olympics. They've played their last 14 games on the road (an NHL record) and they're one of the best home ice teams in the league. Their record at home is 23-7-1 compared to 17-16-1 on the road.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its definitely watchable, not as good as the Olympics but I'll definitely watch the playoffs.

I was a bit annoyed. Hadn't watched the last few games cause I'd been busy both times but tonight I had nothing to do, there was a great stream (for once), it was a good start time, and I had a six pack of good beer and I sat down and it was almost immediately 3-0. I almost quit completely (basically I kept it on in the background and looked around at some sites) but now its turned into a good game.

Thread Information