Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody give Clottey a chance ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Does anybody give Clottey a chance ?

Quote Originally Posted by InTheNeutralCorner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheNeutralCorner View Post
    I see that slo-mo of Floyd & Shane pushing each other in your signature (I'm not sure if that's what it's called). It looks like they're smiling and just playing around. Was it scripted or did they actually look serious in real time?
    I dunno if it was serious or not but Shanes kung fu block made me laugh

Here check the vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQnBu...ayer_embedded#
    Thanks, Kel. It still looks like they're playing.

And we hijacked this thread. Now, back to Clottey ...

You can clearly see in that vid (when they go nose-2-nose) that Mosley has longer arms.

I'm just sayin this in response to something Teath posted a couple of days ago... Carry on...
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto was damaged goods after the Margarito fight. I thought everybody knew that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny could have gone after Mosley, who is regarded as the top WW, but once again they have decided to avoid him

I wonder why Pac didn't try to fight Mosley. As soon as his fight vs Berto was cancelled, Mayweather stepped in and took the fight. Where was Pac? I would expect BOTH of them doing what they could for that opportunity but Floyd took the initiative here while Pac looked for an easy fight.

I don't give Clottey any chance at all either. I find it interesting how people try to sell that fight saying that Clottey is so dangerous, Pac's biggest challenge ever, blah blah blah. Why hasn't any journalist said anything about it? I do see journalists saying over and over how Floyd has not taken a real challenge and all but when it comes to Pac vs Clottey or other weight-drained, past-their-prime guys, etc. then Pac gets praised. I don't get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't cuz I think he's slow, slower than David Diaz.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Manny could have gone after Mosley, who is regarded as the top WW, but once again they have decided to avoid him

I wonder why Pac didn't try to fight Mosley. As soon as his fight vs Berto was cancelled, Mayweather stepped in and took the fight. Where was Pac? I would expect BOTH of them doing what they could for that opportunity but Floyd took the initiative here while Pac looked for an easy fight.

I don't give Clottey any chance at all either. I find it interesting how people try to sell that fight saying that Clottey is so dangerous, Pac's biggest challenge ever, blah blah blah. Why hasn't any journalist said anything about it? I do see journalists saying over and over how Floyd has not taken a real challenge and all but when it comes to Pac vs Clottey or other weight-drained, past-their-prime guys, etc. then Pac gets praised. I don't get it.
    I think Mosley/Berto was still on when Pac signed to fight Clottey. I need to check the timeline, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

I think Mosley/Berto was still on when Pac signed to fight Clottey. I need to check the timeline, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.
    Yes, let's see if that was the case. Also, Mosley has been asking Pac for a shot too but somehow it has not materialized.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was the case. It was only teh Haiti tragedy that he pulled out. And then a fight with Mosley-Mayweather was on.

And for people saying why he didn't take Mosley after hatton. If he did and did beat him, it would be because he was too old and inactive and there would be questions why he didn't fight Cotto. Same thing is being said if Mayweather beats Mosley, that Mosley is now too old and inactive.

I remember this forum being split 50/50 with the Cotto fight, but after that fight the same people who picked Cotto to win said he was a shot fighter after the fight.

So let's not bullshit with that.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post

That was the case. It was only teh Haiti tragedy that he pulled out. And then a fight with Mosley-Mayweather was on.

And for people saying why he didn't take Mosley after hatton. If he did and did beat him, it would be because he was too old and inactive and there would be questions why he didn't fight Cotto. Same thing is being said if Mayweather beats Mosley, that Mosley is now too old and inactive.

I remember this forum being split 50/50 with the Cotto fight, but after that fight the same people who picked Cotto to win said he was a shot fighter after the fight.

I agree. I picked Pacquiao to beat Cotto, for a number of reasons, but unless you say those beforehand then you can't suddenly decide on it afterwards.

Anyway, Pacquiao destroys Clottey. Not saying he definitely KO's him (maybe corner or ref stoppage), but it will be one-sided. Clottey hasn't even been able to get his trainer for this camp. Arum appears to have done as little as possible to help Clottey out.

If he wins, it's the biggest upset of the past decade for me.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like this fight and think it may surprise some.May.The major thing is that Clottey has some outstanding physical tools but frankly no burning intense fire and desire.Without that he will lose to Manny.He goes somewhat limp,be it easing off Alvarez and going through the motions,nearly sobbing and sounding as if he wanted to quit on his stool in between the 9th round vs Margarito...yeah,yeah,hurt hands I know.He had em going in and Margarito was also with injury going in,easing off a bloodied and wilting Cotto late in their fight...falling all over and laying on canvas like some Hollywood harlot.He has size,great tight defense,respectable pop,a solid beard and a HUGE opportunity,but I think he'll again allow himself and find a way to fall short and not maximize his tools.And he also will not be able to match that buzz saw that is Manny Pacqioua and most certainly wont match his intensity.

I would not totally right him off,but he'll have to punch 'with' Pac.Not just prior....or after....but with,in between his rushes and earn his respect.If you do not earm Pacs respect he'll go jail house master on you and bust you up ,inside and out.Make you doubt.I think he has a slim chance,hes no walk over but as the rounds and pressure build,I think he'll become more happy to just be sharing the spotlight and payday rather than actually claim it for himself.Hope I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post

I agree. I picked Pacquiao to beat Cotto, for a number of reasons, but unless you say those beforehand then you can't suddenly decide on it afterwards.

Anyway, Pacquiao destroys Clottey. Not saying he definitely KO's him (maybe corner or ref stoppage), but it will be one-sided. Clottey hasn't even been able to get his trainer for this camp. Arum appears to have done as little as possible to help Clottey out.

If he wins, it's the biggest upset of the past decade for me.
    Not me

I was shocked as fuck how well Manny stood up to the few solid shots that Cotto landed. It's that apparent resilience that had me grossly overrating him (the whole ''why shouldn't Manny be ratted as high as Duran'' episode).
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm surprised that so many on this forum thought Cotto would beat Manny as I find the members here to be a big cut above those in other boxing forums I've read.

In addition to being "damaged goods," his style was perfect for MP- just like Hatton , Diaz and now, Clottey. All of the come straight at you, offer little movement, and have been in a lot of wars. Cotto was the best of those 3, but it didn't matter.

Heck, even some people in the MP camp were saying that Cotto was not the same fighter he was before Margarito, and I didn't like the way he looked against Clottey, Margarito or even Malignaggi.

Anyway, I wasn't a member then.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess NOBODY gives him a chance. Pretty much everybody HOPES for him to pull out a lucky punch, an upset, etc. Boxing analists say that Clottey is such a big challenge, Pac's biggest fight ever, etc. Just to sell it but I find this match pretty sad to be honest . Clottey seems like a nice guy. I feel bad for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess NOBODY gives him a chance. Pretty much everybody HOPES for him to pull out a lucky punch, an upset, etc. Boxing analists say that Clottey is such a big challenge, Pac's biggest fight ever, etc. Just to sell it but I find this match pretty sad to be honest . Clottey seems like a nice guy. I feel bad for him.
    I actually do give Clottey a chance, I may get ridiculed for this but I honestly believe he can win this.
    Some people say boxing is a matter of life or death, it's not, it's far more important than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everyone says Clottey's waiting around and covering up a lot is a real weakness against Pac, but I posted this in the weigh in thread so i'm just going to paste here,,,, but I think it could be one of his strengths in this fight... It will be surprising if Pac doesn't take advantage of every aspect of Clottey's style, BUT, I would not be surprised if his style actually upsets Pac a little...

EG :

If he can really stay sharp and dare I say patient (although that may be his biggest weakness), his defence being tight enough may even upset Pac's rhythm a little bit...

Pac's last 3 fights, DLH and Hatton especially were as hittable as you'd hope any opponent could be. Cotto was confident and sharp with his defence as well as his Jab at the start of that fight, and that was when he looked the strongest and appeared to be able to match Pac, at least while Pac wasn't laying it all on the line.. But once that concentration dropped and he put more emphasis on offence, his defence weakened and opened up, and Pac timed him into an early grave...
    So from that perspective, if Clottey can stay patient and maintain his defence to at least 3 or 4 rounds where Pac can't land where he would like,,, then it won't look like the one sided demolishionfest that Pac is so capable of guys who lower their regard for defence for the sake of trying to land...

In a way, you could consider it a victory for Clottey if he takes it to the cards and gets 4 or 5 rounds,,, and without finishing up looking like a crash test dummy
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy G-Force View Post
    I actually do give Clottey a chance, I may get ridiculed for this but I honestly believe he can win this.
    I give him a chance too. It really isn't Tyson/Douglas territory here, but you can see why Manny is big favourite what with being so hot right now. Fingers crossed, go Clottey!

Thread Information