Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default very interesting article on boxers that dont know when to quit

from barry mcguigan, apologys if already done....

Boxing must protect old fools looking to fight on from themselves By Barry Mcguigan 6/03/2010

Well done to all those who are showing no interest in shelling out for next month's pay-per-view bout between Roy Jones Jnr and Bernard Hopkins.

There is not a sane voice in boxing that supports the idea of Jones boxing on.

It is a shame that view does not extend to Evander Holyfield, who was inexplicably granted a onefight licence last week by the Nevada Commission.

Frans Botha is the man lined up to meet him. Who cares? Ditto Jones-Hopkins. With the exception of 45-year-old Hopkins it's over.

And he does not have long left. Boxing has to stop this seniors' tour. It's rubbish. More than that, it is dangerous.

You can do it in golf when you are not taking punches to the head. Allowing these old guys to box each other demeans and tarnishes the sport.

Jones, 41, is a shambles. His reflexes are gone. His punch resistance is shot. Three months ago he was blitzed in two minutes by Danny Green.

That defeat was not unlike his hammering at the hands of Antonio Tarver six years ago. Yes that's right, six years ago.

It has largely been a tale of woe since. For the moment Jones retains his faculties but with the punishment he is taking these days there must be some concern for his long-term health.

It takes years for the consequences of sustained beatings to show themselves. It is not just the blows taken in championship bouts.

It is the punishment sustained in preparation for them. Boxers spar hundreds of rounds before they get in the ring. As Ricky Hatton puts it, this isn't a tickling contest.

I listen to Holyfield and my heart sinks. At 47, he needs saving from himself.

His speech is seriously impaired, yet here he is seeking to satisfy some absurd desire.

The sanctioning bodies bear responsibility for this nonsense. The Nevada Commission are, like the British Boxing Board of Control, supposed to be one of the finest governing bodies in the sport.

It is shameful that they have allowed Holyfield back into a ring. He would not get a car park pass in England, never mind a permit to box.

Fighters like Holyfield and Jones are high on affirmation. They cannot bear the silence in their lives when they are not boxing.

The idea of walking away from the sport destroys them. They are defined by boxing and cannot leave it behind.

I know how difficult that is. There is no feeling on earth like walking into a room as the champion of the world.

You can see the effect it has on people. It is like switching on a light. That feeling is massively seductive. Holyfield at his best was one of the greats. The Jones that beat Hopkins first time around, the Jones that beat James Toney was an incredible fighter.

What we are seeing now are caricatures. They have done untold damage to their reputations and risk further humiliation.

If that were not bad enough they bring the sport down with them. It does no one any credit when they step into a ring.

If the sanctioning bodies won't act then it is down to us to lead the way by not endorsing the product.

Keep your money in your pocket.

It is the only language they understand.
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: very interesting article on boxers that dont know when to quit

Good article, thanks for posting. He's right in what he says, these guys fighting on just doesn't make sense, and it does add ammuntion to those that against boxing

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Give that man a hand - agree 100%. This fight is a crock and I don't know why anyone would want to see it.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Give that man a hand - agree 100%. This fight is a crock and I don't know why anyone would want to see it.

Not even entirely sure if its being broadcast in the uk at all with or without PPV

Bit of the article that effected me was his take on holyfield. If the guy is really as desimated in person as mcguigan is claiming then please for the love of god someone revoke his licence
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This from a guy who retired in his 20's and thinks Valero should stop fighting...

"You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I met Holyfield about 2 years ago and the guy could barely speak.

It wasn't a case of the lights are on - but nobody's home... the lights were off so I couldn't tell if anybody was home or not

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are so many sad cases of fighters who continue on way past their best.
    Ali and Frazier both should have finished after The Thriller In Manilla, Jones jr and Holyfield are two modern day examples of fighters who are just destroying their legacy by continuing on. In the case of Jones Jr they embarrass themselves by losing to fighters who really would not be in the same class when in their primes. Duran, Chavez, Camacho etc all went to long. Maybe Hagler was right to quit when he did? Tszyu knew when to give it up, injuries and age beats everyone in competitive sport. Is Hatton next? Mosley is 39 in September and before we get to excited about his match up with Mayweather bare in mind he has not fought since January 2009, come fight time that will be 15 months of inactivity. Mosley could get very old very quickly in this fight.
    Hopkins is the only exception to the rule, he has been remarkable these past 10 years.
    Last edited by THE THIRD MAN; 03-10-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Thread Information