Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Eubank calling out America's Best in '93

Jan 8th, '93 Boxing News

'I want 10 fights this year. Maybe I won't get 10 fights this year, but if possible, I'd fight 10 fights.'

'I want Michael Nunn and James Toney. I don't want Nigel Benn because I've already beaten him, he's already passed.

'The mandatory challenger, Nardiello, and Toney and Nunn, I hope to fight before September! Then I'd consider Benn, if the money was good.'

'I don't know if Toney can deal with movement and I don't know if Nunn can deal with strength, or great movement and great strength - it's not out of the question I can beat both this year.'

On Iran Barkley or Victor Cordoba beating them:
    'I consider Nunn and Toney to be two of the most gifted stylists of the world, pound-for-pound. They win these fights.'

On Lindell Holmes:
    'I understand that age is only a number. Going back three or four years, when Michael Watson was down to fight Mike McCallum, Michael himself along with the so-called experts used a shallow-minded philosophy that McCallum was 10 years older, and so he would beat him on youth. That's why McCallum was just stood in front of that night, like he was.

'I'm preparing as hard as ever and I know Lindell Holmes won't lie down for me. He's had a good warm-up fight to get sharp again after inactivity and I can't afford to view his age as anything but a strength, if not just a number.'

'I've done 10 fights in less than 12 months before now and that wasn't enough. I haven't been out of the gym for 10 years straight so it's not a problem to me like it would be for less commited fighters.

'I've had hundreds of harder fights in the gym than all but two of my 34 professional fights.

'A match with a James Toney or Michael Nunn would be a game of chess. A fight with Benn is another matter, because he punches like no other man. It took me 10 months to recover from that fight, (and) 10 months to recover from the Watson II fight, too.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Eubank calling out America's Best in '93

Youare obsessed with Eubank.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eubanks always avoided Herol Graham.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eubank avoided most elite fighters , anyone with movement and style gave him problems , for me was never number 1 in either middle or super middle divisions.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im pretty sure iv read that Eubank dropped Graham in sparring but like you say, he may have been made to feel a fool for the rest of the session.

Eubank was scheduled to fight Toney in a cruiserweight minor title fight about 8 years ago and a few weeks in to Eubanks training camp toney pulls out!!

Take a look at Eubanks record, how many defences he made in a year! Its astonishing, all went the distance and he travelled the world for them as well!!

Eubank, I would give as good a chance as anyone with any of the supermiddle greats.

When he fought Calzaghe he was due to fight at light heavy and with a weeks notice, dropped to supermiddle,(so probably had near on 10 pounds to lose in a week!) to take the chance against Joe, he had nothing in the tank but hyad the fight been a minute longer he could well have stopped Calzaghe who was out on his feet at the bell!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Im pretty sure iv read that Eubank dropped Graham in sparring but like you say, he may have been made to feel a fool for the rest of the session.

Eubank was scheduled to fight Toney in a cruiserweight minor title fight about 8 years ago and a few weeks in to Eubanks training camp toney pulls out!!

Take a look at Eubanks record, how many defences he made in a year! Its astonishing, all went the distance and he travelled the world for them as well!!

Eubank, I would give as good a chance as anyone with any of the supermiddle greats.

When he fought Calzaghe he was due to fight at light heavy and with a weeks notice, dropped to supermiddle,(so probably had near on 10 pounds to lose in a week!) to take the chance against Joe, he had nothing in the tank but hyad the fight been a minute longer he could well have stopped Calzaghe who was out on his feet at the bell!
    Eubank nearly got as many gifts as Sven Ottke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post

thats a bit OTT, comparing anyone with sven ottke is harsh

He was never in the picture to fight a barkley, toney etc. Not his fault america just didnt take our super middles seriously

He beat benn and watson who were both world class fighters at the time he did that. He also stopped sensational dan sherry
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

He was never in the picture to fight a barkley, toney etc. Not his fault america just didnt take our super middles seriously

He beat benn and watson who were both world class fighters at the time he did that. He also stopped sensational dan sherry

Not really Eubank v Schommer was one of the worst decisions you will ever see. Add to that the Amaral was a shocker he should of lost, then you have the Watson, Benn which alot of people had Eubank loosing. Then the Rocchigiani fight the list is endless. But then a lot of people had Eubank winning the first Collins fight.

Put it this way if Eubank was about today he would be listed as one of the most protected fighters from the Uk, some of his defences make Calzaghes look amazing.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not really Eubank v Schommer was one of the worst decisions you will ever see. Add to that the Amaral was a shocker he should of lost, then you have the Watson, Benn which alot of people had Eubank loosing. Then the Rocchigiani fight the list is endless. But then a lot of people had Eubank winning the first Collins fight.

Put it this way if Eubank was about today he would be listed as one of the most protected fighters from the Uk, some of his defences make Calzaghes look amazing.
    I agree, Eubank had a lot of mediocre defences and against people he shouldn't really have bothered fighting. There is more to a career than just fighting mandatories. Eubank had skills, but often seemed to coast in his career and in a lot of rounds too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post

I agree, Eubank had a lot of mediocre defences and against people he shouldn't really have bothered fighting. There is more to a career than just fighting mandatories. Eubank had skills, but often seemed to coast in his career and in a lot of rounds too.
    Yes it's a difficult one really, what do you do stay home fight bum after for bum for 6-9 figure pay days, or go to the States and risk fighting the big boys for less money. Eubank Toney would of been a good fight I think Toney beats him though.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Eubank fought to the level of his opponent a lot.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Absolutely! After the 2nd Watson fight we all know he held back and only did the bare minimum to win. The Eubank that fought Benn in their first fight was hingry and desperate to win, that version died the night Watson was tragically injured.

Having said that, Toney, Nunn, McCallum all beat Eubank IMO
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    Absolutely! After the 2nd Watson fight we all know he held back and only did the bare minimum to win. The Eubank that fought Benn in their first fight was hingry and desperate to win, that version died the night Watson was tragically injured.

Easily for me
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post

Chris Eubank did look like his old self vs Henry Wharton, that was probably his best peformance after the Michael Watson fight. Henry Wharton was a good solid fighter, who gave Nigel Benn all he could handle.

And Chris Eubank boxed very well in that fight, handling Henry Wharton quite easily. But there was one point in the fight i remember, where Chris Eubank asked the ref to stop the fight. When Chris Eubank had Henry Wharton out on his feet.

And then shades of the Michael Watson tragedy comeback to haunt him, but apart from that one incident in the Henry Wharton fight. I feel that was Chris Eubank's best performance after the Michael Watson fight.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post

This is true but I don't think Eubank saw it like that. I might get slaughtered for this but I think Eubank saw fighting his mandatories as honourable. He took it as his duty to fight the guy that he was duty bound to fight. That might sound strange but then Eubank himself is a little strange.

He himself has said that he is not sure that he could have beaten the Jones Jnrs and Toneys so in his logic why should he go looking for them? But he has said, and I believe him, that if they became his mandatories he would have fought them without complaint. I personally don't agree with his attitude but I don't think he took the stance for cowardly reasons.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Thread Information