Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you name current fighters who seem to disdain the notion of cherry picking?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can you name current fighters who seem to disdain the notion of cherry picking?

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    Vic Darchinyan will fight a HW if they would let him...

Glen Johnson has never ducked anyone.....

Shane Mosley...Pacquiao...Winky Wright.....

Still though I think DLH easily holds the most impressive resume of the last 20 years easy in terms of quality opponents faced in a row
    JMM has to be giving his a run for his money, fought both p4p #1 fighters of his day (Mayweather, Pacquiao x2), the #1 Lightweight in the world (Casamayor), the #2 Lightweight in the world (Diaz), the #1 Featherweight in the world (John), the #2 Featherweight in the world (Juarez), throw in solid challenges in Jandaeng and Jaca, that's a pretty solid consistent resume, even if these guys don't have the star power of ODLH's resume.
    For sure Jmm is another guy...I tend to forget abt Jmm because he is such a quiet fellow...You don't see him doing many appearences on Shows interviews etc

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can you name current fighters who seem to disdain the notion of cherry picking?

I think there's a lot of fighters being named who you could make arguments have cherry-picked or avoided certain fighters. Let me be clear, these aren't all points I agree with, but Pacquiao has been accused of ducking Mayweather, Guzman and Campbell & he most definitely cherry-picked with David Diaz. Mosley has been said to have avoided Mayweather and Paul Williams. JMM has been accused of avoiding a fight with Amir Khan (I know), even a guy like Adamek has been accused of avoiding a rematch with Steve Cunningham. I think to say someone hasn't cherry-picked you have to come up with a guy who there could be no possible argument about him avoiding somebody, which for me boils down to

Glen Johnson
    Vic Darchinyan
    Winky Wright
    Jermain Taylor
    Jhonny Gonzalez
    Carl Froch
    Chad Dawson

Now, at least 2 of those guys (Vic & Froch) I dislike with a passion, however they have consistently taken on the toughest out there. I think Devon Alexander & Tim Bradley also show the potential to be chasing the toughest fights and ducking nobody.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Almaz Assanov, 1-7, has fought Sod Looknongyangtoy, Saohin Srithai Condo, Somsak Sithchatchawal and Ratanachai Sor Vorapin.
    Their total won-lost record coming against Assanov was an eyepopping 199-24-1. Assanov has to be the toughest fighter in the world with a 1-7 record.

Last edited by holmcall; 03-26-2010 at 09:18 PM.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alphonso Gomez. Curiously, he can tell his grandcildren that he retired both Gatti and Castillo.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Having a good resume and not being a cherry picker do not neccesarily go hand in hand.

Pacquiao has a great resume with a long list of quality names BUT he is absolutely 100% a cherry picker. You only have to hear Roach speak to know that.

Agreed about JT - When everybody was pissing on him for his bad performances, I was thinking "but look at who the Fcuk he's fought!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A lot of fighters mentioned Malignaggi, I can't think of any he's cherry picked or ducked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unfortunately I think some top fighters will see Taylor as an example of what happens when u take on tough opponent after tough opponent. he went from arguably the top young fighter in the world to shot and pretty much finished in a few short years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All of the above mentioned and Ali Funeka just came to mind due to me bitching about Guzman in the other thread.
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Thread Information