Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you think Klitschkos would do in the MMA?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How do you think Klitschkos would do in the MMA?

How do you think Klitchko brothers would do in the MMA?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How do you think Klitschkos would do in the MMA?

In a word... terrible. Vitali's too old and stiff to compete at MMA... the only thing in his favor is his size and his ability to take a punch. Wladimir would probably fare even worse. He's managed to protect his chin in fights after his nasty KOs at the hands of Sanders and Brewster. But one wayward roundhouse kick, and you'd have to wheel Wlad out in a stretcher. His pawing, jabbing tactics would only buy him so much time in an MMA fight. Bad match of styles for both of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    In a word... terrible. Vitali's too old and stiff to compete at MMA... the only thing in his favor is his size and his ability to take a punch. Wladimir would probably fare even worse. He's managed to protect his chin in fights after his nasty KOs at the hands of Sanders and Brewster. But one wayward roundhouse kick, and you'd have to wheel Wlad out in a stretcher. His pawing, jabbing tactics would only buy him so much time in an MMA fight. Bad match of styles for both of them.
    Perhaps, but you have to take into account that there are 40 year old MMA fighters. Also, if Brock Lesnar, a 300 pound slob could go from WWE to a UFC champion, I guarantee Klitchko's chances would be much better than his. Also you have to take into consideration that they are rather good kick boxers, ontop of being hardest hitting boxers on the planet. Also, look at their conditioning. How many boxers have you heard of that are capable to go 12 rounds and EASILY throw a knock out punch at any second of the last round? a 3 round match would be a walk in the park for them. Idk of course this is all nothing short of speculation, but I believe that both of them could dominate the UFC if given the proper wrestling/jujitsu training. Their height might be both an advantage and a disadvantage in mixed martial arts, so thats one of the reason I have a few doubts in my mind.
    I really wouldn't be conserned about Wlad's chin, shit happens... thats all there really is to it. If he was somebody that got knocked out in 10 or 15 fights, than you could talk about his chin. He's been in like 57 professional fights, and probably over 100 amateur fights where he got rocked in that very "glass jaw" that everyone claims he has, nobody other that the 3 lucky dues even came close to knocking him down, let alone out.

As for jabbing lol, I'm sure he could offer a little more than that in the MMA, and even if he didn't, I really don't know too many MMA fighters that would have the balls or be stupid enough to try to charge at them, their punches are very accurate and anybody that went for a take down would likely be on the canvas the next second. Give them a pair of the tiny ass UFC gloves, whoever you put in the ring with them would be leaving on a flight for life, because any of their hits would be devastating, if not deadly.
    Last edited by KingRome; 03-29-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No way they would do very well at all. They are too stiff and not athletic enough. They would catch some fighters but everybody knows to take them down and that is where they would end up almost every fight. And remember, MMA has quite a few heavyweights that are just as big as the Klitschkos so they wouldn't be having a size advantage in the cage. Many of the top experienced heavyweight fighters are 6'3" to 6' 5" and have to cut to make the 265 lbs. weight limit. Couple that with the fact that the Klitschkos would then be the rookies in the sport. This wouldn't turn out well. The Klitschkos would have to be matched up well for success.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

wasn't Vitali a kickboxing world champ? either way if shot fighters like Mercer aren't doing too bad don't see how the Klitschko's could do any worse given the appropriate training

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by blegit View Post
    No way they would do very well at all. They are too stiff and not athletic enough. They would catch some fighters but everybody knows to take them down and that is where they would end up almost every fight. And remember, MMA has quite a few heavyweights that are just as big as the Klitschkos so they wouldn't be having a size advantage in the cage. Many of the top experienced heavyweight fighters are 6'3" to 6' 5" and have to cut to make the 265 lbs. weight limit. Couple that with the fact that the Klitschkos would then be the rookies in the sport. This wouldn't turn out well. The Klitschkos would have to be matched up well for success.
    Not athletic enough They are perhaps the 2 most athletics heavyweight around...
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Not athletic enough They are perhaps the 2 most athletics heavyweight around...
    How are the Klitschkos perhaps the 2 most athletic heavyweights? Around what, boxing you mean? I'm talking about agility, speed, movement, flexibility, etc. MMA has guys who are NCAA All American wrestlers. Successful heavyweight wrestlers have to be truly athletic. A lot of these guys can do a backflip from their feet, do a gramby roll from their feet, throw a guy in a suplex, etc. I am a very big wrestling fan, real wrestling, and I see real athleticism like lightweights coming from heavyweights.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by KingRome View Post
    Perhaps, but you have to take into account that there are 40 year old MMA fighters. Also, if Brock Lesnar, a 300 pound slob could go from WWE to a UFC champion, I guarantee Klitchko's chances would be much better than his. Also you have to take into consideration that they are rather good kick boxers, ontop of being hardest hitting boxers on the planet. Also, look at their conditioning. How many boxers have you heard of that are capable to go 12 rounds and EASILY throw a knock out punch at any second of the last round? a 3 round match would be a walk in the park for them. Idk of course this is all nothing short of speculation, but I believe that both of them could dominate the UFC if given the proper wrestling/jujitsu training. Their height might be both an advantage and a disadvantage in mixed martial arts, so thats one of the reason I have a few doubts in my mind.
    I really wouldn't be conserned about Wlad's chin, shit happens... thats all there really is to it. If he was somebody that got knocked out in 10 or 15 fights, than you could talk about his chin. He's been in like 57 professional fights, and probably over 100 amateur fights where he got rocked in that very "glass jaw" that everyone claims he has, nobody other that the 3 lucky dues even came close to knocking him down, let alone out.

As for jabbing lol, I'm sure he could offer a little more than that in the MMA, and even if he didn't, I really don't know too many MMA fighters that would have the balls or be stupid enough to try to charge at them, their punches are very accurate and anybody that went for a take down would likely be on the canvas the next second. Give them a pair of the tiny ass UFC gloves, whoever you put in the ring with them would be leaving on a flight for life, because any of their hits would be devastating, if not deadly.

Let's discuss the "chin" issue. Surely you're not going to defend Wlad's chin because he's only been knocked out twice. Not taking anything away from Wlad, but most of his recent opponents go in there looking like they're on Death Row, and hoping for a stay of execution. I don't remember Wlad getting in too many knockdown, dragout affairs with give and take on both sides. So I'll stick with my assessment. Sure the MMA guys would be cautious coming in. But Wlad would have to worry about more than just lefts and rights.

As far as his athleticism... sure... Wlad's an accomplished kite surfer, and what have you. And he keeps himself in better shape than most HW's nowadays (which isn't saying much). But he's not flexible or agile enough, IMO, to be dominant in a sport that demands lots of both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's discuss the "chin" issue. Surely you're not going to defend Wlad's chin because he's only been knocked out twice. Not taking anything away from Wlad, but most of his recent opponents go in there looking like they're on Death Row, and hoping for a stay of execution. I don't remember Wlad getting in too many knockdown, dragout affairs with give and take on both sides. So I'll stick with my assessment. Sure the MMA guys would be cautious coming in. But Wlad would have to worry about more than just lefts and rights.

As far as his athleticism... sure... Wlad's an accomplished kite surfer, and what have you. And he keeps himself in better shape than most HW's nowadays (which isn't saying much). But he's not flexible or agile enough, IMO, to be dominant in a sport that demands lots of both.
    Actually, Wlad's been KO'ed 3 times. And almost a 4th, he was knocked down 3 times by Samuel Peter. But you're right there's no denying Wlad's chin issues. He fights unwilling and tentative nowadays and that we all know why.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually, Wlad's been KO'ed 3 times. And almost a 4th, he was knocked down 3 times by Samuel Peter. But you're right there's no denying Wlad's chin issues. He fights unwilling and tentative nowadays and that we all know why.
    I stand corrected. I only remembered the Sanders and Brewster KO's, but you're right. And in going over his list of recent opponents, it's hard to find a sorrier bunch of incompetent stiffs on the planet. Not taking anything away from Wlad, mind you. But his chin has NOT BEEN TESTED as of late. When he gets tagged good, and pulls out a war of a fight... I'll be more convinced.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Perhaps, but you have to take into account that there are 40 year old MMA fighters. Also, if Brock Lesnar, a 300 pound slob could go from WWE to a UFC champion, I guarantee Klitchko's chances would be much better than his.

Well the problem with this theory is a) Lesnar is 300lbs of muscle and a tremendous athlete and about as far from a "slob" as you can find, and b) he was a highly decorated amateur wrestler. For those not familiar with MMA, wrestling is ideally the best base to start off in MMA, because in theory you can control where the fight takes place (if you want it standing, you use your wrestling to stop a guy from taking you down. If you want it on the ground, you take him down).

The Klitschko's could both do fantastic in MMA potentially. Both are superb athletes with extremely educated hands and dangerous standup. Vitali especially because of his kickboxing background. The question is, are they willing to put boxing aside and train with a legit MMA camp full time, and learn how to avoid takedowns and how to defend/mount offense off their backs.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Since when is Wlad stiff and unathletic? Thats not true. He was faster on his feet and with his hands then Eddie Chambers. If they ever meet in the ring I think Wlad will be better on his feet then David Haye. If a guy like Cheik Congo can be moderately successful in MMA with absolutely no ground game and less striking ability then either Klitschko's then hell yeah. In fact, I think that either Klitschko would smash Lesnar, that's my honest opinion. I think Vitali's style is more suited for MMA, holds his hands lower and has better one shot power imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    Since when is Wlad stiff and unathletic? Thats not true. He was faster on his feet and with his hands then Eddie Chambers. If they ever meet in the ring I think Wlad will be better on his feet then David Haye. If a guy like Cheik Congo can be moderately successful in MMA with absolutely no ground game and less striking ability then either Klitschko's then hell yeah. In fact, I think that either Klitschko would smash Lesnar, that's my honest opinion. I think Vitali's style is more suited for MMA, holds his hands lower and has better one shot power imo.
    Cheick Kongo is garbage and gets owned whenever he faces any of the upper echelon of MMA heavyweights. Sorry but there is a very slim chance in hell that any klits could beat Lesnar. I hate the dude but I have to give him his props he's a beast. He would take both klits to the ground easily and pound them out from there.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Caine3078 View Post
    Cheick Kongo is garbage and gets owned whenever he faces any of the upper echelon of MMA heavyweights. Sorry but there is a very slim chance in hell that any klits could beat Lesnar. I hate the dude but I have to give him his props he's a beast. He would take both klits to the ground easily and pound them out from there.
    Why is it automatically assumed he gets taken to the ground? Lesnar is crude as fuck standing up and I doubt he's really much faster then Wlad on his feet. All it would take was one punch, from Vitali it could be one of those off-angle jabs and with a 4 oz glove and it's over, if he caught Lesnar standing up it would be the easiest night of work they've ever had. That's the truth isn't it? And if Brock was dumb enough to exchange just a single time, it would be over. The fight starts on the feet and if Brock would win he would have to go through serious hell in the first part of the fight.

Fuck I hate these arguments because for some reason boxers are just written off in MMA and MMA guys are made out to be some super-fighters.

El Kabong Guest

Fuck I hate these arguments because for some reason boxers are just written off in MMA and MMA guys are made out to be some super-fighters.
    ....all you have to point out is "There was a reason that Kimbo Slice chose MMA over boxing" and it wasn't the money

Thread Information