Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: George Groves....

The only thing Groves will struggle with as far as the bigger Brit promoters are concerned is being ducked.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    The only thing Groves will struggle with as far as the bigger Brit promoters are concerned is being ducked.

As long as booth mantains a steady relationship with sky id be surprised if he wasnt in with the likes of smith, dodson within the next 12months.

Of course de gale will dodge him like hell as he will any other half decent 160/168pounder
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

As long as booth mantains a steady relationship with sky id be surprised if he wasnt in with the likes of smith, dodson within the next 12months.

Of course de gale will dodge him like hell as he will any other half decent 160/168pounder
    Smith is with FW too.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not generally too keen on Adam Booth but one thing I do like is how I've heard him say that there is way too much put on the undefeated record and that there is no shame in losing if you take hard fights, that a loss is not the end. He said that was his message to young fighters. I think thats a pretty damn good message. Plus he seems as good as his word when it comes to George Groves.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Definitely like the look of Groves. I've been on the bandwagon for a few fights now. Smith wants nothing to do with him and you know how keen Warren will be to put him in with De Gale anytime soon. Maybe they get to fight two or three years down the line.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been watching Groves since the amateurs and I've seen him sparring down at Dale Youth, and one thing that always clearly separated him & DeGale was that George always had a ready-made pro-style, whilst Chunky always fought like an amateur, so it's been an easier transition for him. I think DeGale will be a lot better than most people give him credit for, he's possibly improved more than Groves since going pro, I just think George was better to begin with. Also Groves had amazing power in the ams, you could see it just by watching him, so I'm actually surprised he hasn't been taking people out quicker. The Adamu stoppage was absolutely fucking dreadful though.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    I've been watching Groves since the amateurs and I've seen him sparring down at Dale Youth, and one thing that always clearly separated him & DeGale was that George always had a ready-made pro-style, whilst Chunky always fought like an amateur, so it's been an easier transition for him. I think DeGale will be a lot better than most people give him credit for, he's possibly improved more than Groves since going pro, I just think George was better to begin with. Also Groves had amazing power in the ams, you could see it just by watching him, so I'm actually surprised he hasn't been taking people out quicker. The Adamu stoppage was absolutely fucking dreadful though.
    Not sure you can call a stoppage "dreadful" in such a one-sided fight. The chances of Adamu turning it around were basically zero. Not even one of those predictable wild swings were gonna get "lucky."

Probably a good stoppage.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure you can call a stoppage "dreadful" in such a one-sided fight. The chances of Adamu turning it around were basically zero. Not even one of those predictable wild swings were gonna get "lucky."

Regardles of it being one-sided, he was still ready to throw more punches. Obviously refs should err on the side of caution, but the fact it always seems to favour the young prospect in Britain means it's very frustrating. If I think of ref stoppages that have pissed me off in the last year, probably 80-90% have happened here, usually favouring the guy I'm supporting, but it doesn't change that it's a joke.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Regardles of it being one-sided, he was still ready to throw more punches. Obviously refs should err on the side of caution, but the fact it always seems to favour the young prospect in Britain means it's very frustrating. If I think of ref stoppages that have pissed me off in the last year, probably 80-90% have happened here, usually favouring the guy I'm supporting, but it doesn't change that it's a joke.
    For sure some stoppages are shamefully quick. I don't think it's purely a case of the ref being dodgy/poor though (favouring the home fighter).

Maybe the Brit refs today (who do seem to err on the side of caution), like I believe many fans, are consciously influenced by that 90s period of fighters suffering career/life ending brain injuires - Bradley Stone, Watson, McCllelan, Douglas, Oliver, Ingle.

Just two weeks ago I thought Gonzalez-Davis (Mexico) and Bonsu-Bailey (Belgium) weren't stopped fast enough.
    Last edited by Fenster; 04-06-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought the stoppage was really early. He was getting done over for sure but he wasn't in any real trouble at the time. He was still throwing and wasn't especially wobbly or anything. Plus, he was the champ.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not often I disagree with Fenster, but he was the defending champ and not hurt bit harsh if you ask me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FTMatty View Post
    Another Adam Booth success story.

I definitely rate Groves ahead of Smith and Degale. Degale is all hype and Smith is over rated in my opinion.
    He looks like he could potentially get better and better as he's only 22 now.
    He walked in front of us after his fight on Saturday night, and didn't have a mark on him.

Looking forward to a Degale v Groves fight
    Yeah he was stood right at the side of me having photos taken and signing autographs for fans. I asked the bird if she wanted one but she told me to leave him alone..... And that was me... told lol.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMatty View Post
    Another Adam Booth success story.

I definitely rate Groves ahead of Smith and Degale. Degale is all hype and Smith is over rated in my opinion.
    He looks like he could potentially get better and better as he's only 22 now.
    He walked in front of us after his fight on Saturday night, and didn't have a mark on him.

Looking forward to a Degale v Groves fight
    Yeah he was stood right at the side of me having photos taken and signing autographs for fans. I asked the bird if she wanted one but she told me to leave him alone..... And that was me... told lol.
    Haha!
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have a mutual friend with a local fighter who recently lost to Frankie Gavin. The fighter in question was dicked around by Frank Warren from the start and up until 10 mins before the fight was led to believe he wasn't getting paid. Anyways...

From the outset Gavin was dominating and you could argue the fight was only going one way. Gavin eventually caught him off balance with a glancing shot and put him down. He got straight back up and took the standing 8 count, straight after which the ref says to him, "You've had enough mate, no point you carrying on" and then calls the fight off.

Admitedly he didn't protest all that much but this was just a payday for him so why risk carying on and getting hurt?

I'm not saying this is 100% true but it makes you wonder if the ref was 'influenced' by the promoter in some way, hence the early stoppage!
    Last edited by Conrad; 04-07-2010 at 05:57 PM.
    "He was convulsing on the floor like an infantile retard"

- Mike Tyson Hidden Content

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I have a mutual friend with a local fighter who recently lost to Frankie Gavin. The fighter in question was dicked around by Frank Warren from the start and up until 10 mins before the fight was led to believe he wasn't getting paid. Anyways...

From the outset Gavin was dominating and you could argue the fight was only going one way. Gavin eventually caught him off balance with a glancing shot and put him down. He got straight back up and took the standing 8 count, straight after which the ref says to him, "You've had enough mate, no point you carrying on" and then calls the fight off.

Admitedly he didn't protest all that much but this was just a payday for him so why risk carying on and getting hurt?

I'm not saying this is 100% true but it makes you wonder if the ref was 'influenced' by the promoter in some way, hence the early stoppage!
    Frankie Gavin has had a few, although I reckon Tyson Fury is the king of dodgy stoppages. One of my friends was ringside at the Murray-McAllister fight, with Fury fighting that fat German bloke Zeller on the undercard. Apparently as soon as Fury threw a few punches, Mick Hennessy stood up and started shouting at the ref 'you're supposed to fucking stop it now, I told you to stop it', upon which the ref did. My mate has no reason to lie about this because he's not a big boxing fan, he didn't know who any of these people were, he was just given a ticket by a guy he works with who couldn't make it. Very suspicious.

Thread Information