Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I hope people wont say "O mosley was old"

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    I think Majesty has a point. If someone is picking Mosley to win don't use some excuse later like say Mosley was old as an excuse if he loses.

Not going to mention names, but when Pacquiao beat Cotto, the same people that predicted Cotto would ko Pac later said Pacquiao beat a shot fighter, that was an excuse to discredit that win, they didn't say he was a shot fighter before the fight, but after the fight that was the excused used.

If you're making a prediction on the guy stick to it don't use some sorry excuse later on if the fighter you're backing loses.

I have to say I agree.
    Exactly, I picked Cotto to beat Pacman & when Pacquiao dominated him I was amazed!!! All credit to Pacquiao in that fight, now though going into the Foreman fight I feel Cotto is on the slide.

In this fight though I think Mosley although not at his peak is still at an elite level & a huge risk for Mayweather...
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Majesty has a point. If someone is picking Mosley to win don't use some excuse later like say Mosley was old as an excuse if he loses.

Not going to mention names, but when Pacquiao beat Cotto, the same people that predicted Cotto would ko Pac later said Pacquiao beat a shot fighter, that was an excuse to discredit that win, they didn't say he was a shot fighter before the fight, but after the fight that was the excused used.

If you're making a prediction on the guy stick to it don't use some sorry excuse later on if the fighter you're backing loses.

I have to say I agree.

I get where you are saying it's wrong..

Like if you said Cotto is going to beat Pac, and the afterwards say Cotto was shot,,, to discredit the win, then that's crap....

But for someone to genuinely think something, like how Galaxy thought Cotto would really trouble Pac, but then after the fight be able to say "you know what, Cotto was a shot fighter", I don't think there is a single thing wrong with that at all.. Unless it's to discredit the win, by saying that Cotto was no challenge and Pac shouldn't be proud of it.... In that case, you are being a douche and flipping your opinion to take something away from someone..

But otherwise, you are just using hindsight to rectify a perception you had before a fight, vs after it.
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dizaster View Post

I have to say I agree.

I get where you are saying it's wrong..

Like if you said Cotto is going to beat Pac, and the afterwards say Cotto was shot,,, to discredit the win, then that's crap....

But for someone to genuinely think something, like how Galaxy thought Cotto would really trouble Pac, but then after the fight be able to say "you know what, Cotto was a shot fighter", I don't think there is a single thing wrong with that at all.. Unless it's to discredit the win, by saying that Cotto was no challenge and Pac shouldn't be proud of it.... In that case, you are being a douche and flipping your opinion to take something away from someone..

But otherwise, you are just using hindsight to rectify a perception you had before a fight, vs after it.
    Actually Dizaster is very accurate. Hindsight tells us a lot but mostly with fights people use it as an excuse for why things didn't go as planned. But in order to see if a fighter is shot or aged you have to see it in a fight. How else can you really tell? I personally don't hang out with these guys so I don't know what they are looking like in sparring or training. But when Mayweather is on he actually makes everybody look old or overmatched so naturally it will be said Mosley was too old. Just like people said Marquez wasn't effective at 147. Marquez fought one welterweight and it was against the absolute toughest guy to look good against. But somehow we get the conclusion that Marquez couldn't carry the weight. The same goes with Pacquiao/Cotto though Cotto's situation is a little different. The writing was on the wall even Roach said it after the Clottey fight. But if Cotto was damaged goods Pacquiao is the guy who will show it because he is about the most explosive and relentless guy in boxing. So if you can no longer take damaging blows it will surely tell in a Pacquiao fight. And if you are too old it will surely tell in a Mayweather fight. Not to take anything away from either Pac or Mayweather but you can not be damaged or slipping to deal with them.
    Last edited by blegit; 04-14-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can pick mosley and still acknowledge the fact that he's old. Old as fuck for boxing esp in a division where speed and reflexes are normally the dominant physical attributes. Nothing anyone says is going to change the fact that Shane is 39. This is the double edge sword of picking opponents that Floyd has brought on himself. It's a win/win for Shane because if he goes in and fights a close competitive fight at 39 many will say he'd easily beat floyd in his prime. If he wins, then he's almost like George Foreman if not better because Moorer wasn't p4p number 1. And before the Floyd parrots, and ostrich supporters with their head up his ass respond with recycled "Pretty Propaganda"

It was floyd that dismissed shane as a steroid using sparring partner with five losses. But after being a moron with his money and fucking up the pacman fight under the bullshit pretense of cleaning up the sport all while conveniently forgetting that he reneged on a contract against JMM about an agreed upon weight. Mr. Honorable indeed. So after his bullshit costs him the biggest purse since Oscar he's forced to face OLD Shane Mosley who may still end up whooping his ass and put a huge dent in his little ego.
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He wins this he deserves credit for the win I mean this is Shane Mosley...Even a past it Mosley is better then most guys could ever hope to be....

Mosley is certainly a tougher opp...Or I think a better way to phrase it would be....

Mosley is a more high risk opp then

Marquez
    Hatton
    Baldomir
    Judah
    Mitchell
    Gatti
    Bruseles
    Corley
    N'dou.....

His last 9 opp leaving out DLH

Of those guys listed none were prime when Mayweather best them and in the divisions there were tougher fights for sure at the time..

Mosleys last 5 were

Margarito
    Mayorga
    Cotto
    Collazo
    Vargas...

He lost to Cotto Vargas was past it and Mayorga is well...Mayorga not expected to win against guys like Mosley but still tough...

So not as if Mosley has been fighting second raters and looking good because of that fact...

There is nothing that Mosley has done to make anyone be able to say he was old etc if he loses...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather View Post
    You can pick mosley and still acknowledge the fact that he's old. Old as fuck for boxing esp in a division where speed and reflexes are normally the dominant physical attributes. Nothing anyone says is going to change the fact that Shane is 39. This is the double edge sword of picking opponents that Floyd has brought on himself. It's a win/win for Shane because if he goes in and fights a close competitive fight at 39 many will say he'd easily beat floyd in his prime. If he wins, then he's almost like George Foreman if not better because Moorer wasn't p4p number 1. And before the Floyd parrots, and ostrich supporters with their head up his ass respond with recycled "Pretty Propaganda"

It was floyd that dismissed shane as a steroid using sparring partner with five losses. But after being a moron with his money and fucking up the pacman fight under the bullshit pretense of cleaning up the sport all while conveniently forgetting that he reneged on a contract against JMM about an agreed upon weight. Mr. Honorable indeed. So after his bullshit costs him the biggest purse since Oscar he's forced to face OLD Shane Mosley who may still end up whooping his ass and put a huge dent in his little ego.

...............Wow mate

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm glad this thread was made. Not because of the point the initial post made but because of the conclusions that come of it.

I'm glad that we can now clearly seperate just plain 'Shane is old' from 'If Shane looses, I will discredit Mayweather's win because Shane is old'.

The fact is Shane is old but deserves to be in the ring with Floyd. If Shane has a bad performance, age might appear to be a factor to him but it we won't know if it matters to Floyd

Just for the record, I think Shane is old and that he will win
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh shane was old.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Doesn't matter what Floyd fans say the haters have a win/win fight on their hands.

Shane only has to be half-competitive to persuade most he would have beaten Floyd when younger.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Doesn't matter what Floyd fans say the haters have a win/win fight on their hands.

Shane only has to be competitive to persuade most he would have beaten Floyd when younger.
    You're absolutely correct. But I'm not a Floyd hater and don't need Shane to fight close to be convinced that prime vs prime Shane walks through Floyd.

Always been a Floyd supporter. Always been a Mosley supporter.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shane only has to be half-competitive to persuade most he would have beaten Floyd when younger.
    I'd have to remind em that Floyd isn't exactly young himself
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie View Post

I'd have to remind em that Floyd isn't exactly young himself
    True...Floyd is getting to the age where it is time for most to wind down especially fighters WW and under....

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The built-in excuses is what I hate most about boxing.

Shane is rated no.2 at welterweight, no.3 P4P and is coming off one of his greatest wins. His age shouldn't be a factor due to his current standing in world boxing.

Anyone that beats a fighter with those credentials deserves nothing but huge respect. Obviously, as already highlighted, that wont be the case. Shame.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The built-in excuses is what I hate most about boxing.

Shane is rated no.2 at welterweight, no.3 P4P and is coming off one of his greatest wins. His age shouldn't be a factor due to his current standing in world boxing.

Anyone that beats a fighter with those credentials deserves nothing but huge respect. Obviously, as already highlighted, that wont be the case. Shame.
    BHOP is still rated top 2 at LHW. 6 p4p, and WBO super champ, but if he were to fight Dawson, that 45 age would look like 55. Hey it's too bad but that's the boxing game. Floyd has to utterly dominant Shane, period. Because if he's not going to get any credit he might as well try to do something no one has ever done which is stop shane, that will give a lot weight to floydboys in regards to how they might have match in their primes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I f*cking hate when that excuse gets chucked out.

If your young enough to train for 12 solid weeks and spar for 6 your young enough to fight
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Thread Information