Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 25 years on and still the greatest fight ever IMO.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 25 years on and still the greatest fight ever IMO.

Hagler Vs Hearns for me has to be the greatest fight ever. It was eight minutes of sheer brutality and today is it's 25th anniversary. A thread here to celebrate the greatest fight in history.

Hammered by Tommy ‘n Marvin | The Sun |Sport|Boxing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr1y37l2J0o

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 25 years on and still the greatest fight ever IMO.

Agreed.

I might put the DVD of the fight I have on later, ain't watched it in a while.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for posting the video! It was a real war the 1st round has to be the best Ive ever seen!
    Hidden Content
    Records are for DJ's - Dan 'The outlaw' Hardy

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is the closest the reality of the sweet science will ever get to resembling a Rocky movie. The first round is THE round of all time no questions.

I watch that round every few months or so on youtube when bored - quality.

My only regret is that I never saw this live on tv - bit young and didnt appreciate boxing then (not sure if it was live in UK anyway back then ??)

Anyway I can only imagine what it would have been like watching that fight live on tv with a few mates round as I often do now.

Either stunned silence or shouts of "wtf ?!?" "Jesus" "Fuck me" "OMG" etc....

God knows what it must have been like to actually have been there.

Will never be ousted from top 3 fights of all time I reckon
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    This is the closest the reality of the sweet science will ever get to resembling a Rocky movie. The first round is THE round of all time no questions.

I watch that round every few months or so on youtube when bored - quality.

My only regret is that I never saw this live on tv - bit young and didnt appreciate boxing then (not sure if it was live in UK anyway back then ??)

Anyway I can only imagine what it would have been like watching that fight live on tv with a few mates round as I often do now.

Either stunned silence or shouts of "wtf ?!?" "Jesus" "Fuck me" "OMG" etc....

God knows what it must have been like to actually have been there.

Will never be ousted from top 3 fights of all time I reckon
    Great post and I totally agree. I can't ever see it being bettered, it sometimes gets overlooked due to it being relatively short in comparison to the "Thrilla in Manilla", the Gatti - Ward fights, MAB vs Morales and so on but the sheer quality and blood and guts attitude shown by both fighters for the 3 rounds it lasted is the best thing i've ever seen in a boxing ring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The title is correct the greatest fight ever. There was no boxing. Nothing. It was a simply street fight between to finely tuned machines. I love it everytime I see it. So much on the line and both of these guys just went at it. Simply the greatest, most entertaining fight ever.

ICB Guest

No disrespect but i think this is an overrated fight, the 1st round was amazing no question. But then Marvin Hagler basically took over, Because Tommy Hearns legs were gone, and he had broke his right hand.

It was great for its time and there both great fighters, but there's been many better shorter fights than this. And many better fights overall.

For example Jose Luis Ramirez vs Edwin Rosario 2 went 4 rounds, and was a better fight IMO, and more dramatic.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    No disrespect but i think this is an overrated fight, the 1st round was amazing no question. But then Marvin Hagler basically took over, Because Tommy Hearns legs were gone, and he had broke his right hand.

It was great for its time and there both great fighters, but there's been many better shorter fights than this. And many better fights overall.

For example Jose Luis Ramirez vs Edwin Rosario 2 went 4 rounds, and was a better fight IMO, and more dramatic.
    Looks like i'll have to agree to disagree on this one then mate.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

have to disagree too

overrated is one word I would not use for this fight.

I've never seen anything like it - Gatti fights et al. Guess the fact that it was two boxing superstars at their peak adds a lot of clout - but then again thats what made it all the more enthralling (good word that).

As Larry Merchant said of the fight , and still does now, 'Nobody breathed for eight minutes'. Am not Larry's biggest fan but I can certainly understand that

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wink Re: 25 years on and still the greatest fight ever IMO.

I dont get all the fuss. The fight was a mess. I just can't call it a classic boxing match. Yeah there were lots of punches thrown but i dunno, i guess the fight was a bit anti-climatic for me.
    The way Tommy keels over like a fish out of water just reeks of 'wtf was that?!'.

I really don't know, it just gets to me. I don't rate this fight all that much.
    It insist upon itself

Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie View Post
    I dont get all the fuss. The fight was a mess. I just can't call it a classic boxing match. Yeah there were lots of punches thrown but i dunno, i guess the fight was a bit anti-climatic for me.
    The way Tommy keels over like a fish out of water just reeks of 'wtf was that?!'.

It insist upon itself

Really?? It still makes my hairs stand on end now and I must have watched it 400 times.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie View Post

It insist upon itself

I don't get it

what are your top fights of all time then ?

ICB Guest

have to disagree too

I've never seen anything like it - Gatti fights et al. Guess the fact that it was two boxing superstars at their peak adds a lot of clout - but then again thats what made it all the more enthralling (good word that).

As Larry Merchant said of the fight , and still does now, 'Nobody breathed for eight minutes'. Am not Larry's biggest fan but I can certainly understand that
    Well it is overrated due to the fact, people call it the greatest action fight of all time when that clearly isn't true. Yes it had one great round, but the others Marvin Hagler was in control of despite the cut.

Mark i could give you 10 fights right now, that are better fights. And if you watched them over a course of a week, i guarantee you would enjoy them more. Because i don't think you've seen them so it would be like watching it live.

Kevin Kelley vs Troy Dorsey
    Kevin Kelley vs Derrick Gainer 1
    Matthew Saad Muhammad vs Marvin Johnson 1
    Matthew Saad Muhammad vs Yaqui Lopez 2
    Bobby Chacon vs Rafael Limon 4
    Bobby Chacon vs Cornelius Boza Edwards 2
    Michael Moorer vs Bert Cooper
    Charles Williams vs Merqui Sosa 1 or 2
    Wilfredo Gomez vs Lupe Pintor
    Kelvin Seabrooks vs Thierry Jacob

And i didn't even have to really think about that list either, there's plenty of better fights treat yourself to these classics.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its the best for me , even though its bitter sweet , i now can appreciate how good Marvin was , as it took me years to get over him knocking out my boxing hero.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

have to disagree too

Well it is overrated due to the fact, people call it the greatest action fight of all time when that clearly isn't true. Yes it had one great round, but the others Marvin Hagler was in control of despite the cut.

Mark i could give you 10 fights right now, that are better fights. And if you watched them over a course of a week, i guarantee you would enjoy them more. Because i don't think you've seen them so it would be like watching it live.

Kevin Kelley vs Troy Dorsey
    Kevin Kelley vs Derrick Gainer 1
    Matthew Saad Muhammad vs Marvin Johnson 1
    Matthew Saad Muhammad vs Yaqui Lopez 2
    Bobby Chacon vs Rafael Limon 4
    Bobby Chacon vs Cornelius Boza Edwards 2
    Michael Moorer vs Bert Cooper
    Charles Williams vs Merqui Sosa 1 or 2
    Wilfredo Gomez vs Lupe Pintor
    Kelvin Seabrooks vs Thierry Jacob

And i didn't even have to really think about that list either, there's plenty of better fights treat yourself to these classics.
    One of the reasons people think its better than any of those fights , is the magnitude of both participants , not many people out of boxing would know many off your list.
    But as ever its a matter of opinion.
    Last edited by Dark Lord Al; 04-15-2010 at 05:02 PM.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Thread Information