14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Recent superstars to be who went bust

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    I just don't really see it with Jacobs. Not an elite guy IMO.

More on topic, I never bought into the Allan Green hype but he was going along pretty well till he got stopped by Donny McCrory
    Huh? You mean Edison Miranda? He didnt get k.o.'d, and he was just coming off a big surgery. Believe me if they fought again I'd put alot on Green.
    No, he's talking about the time he fought McCrary and was out on his feet taking clean shots forever and the fight wasn't stopped. Really he was stopped.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by No Contest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    I just don't really see it with Jacobs. Not an elite guy IMO.

More on topic, I never bought into the Allan Green hype but he was going along pretty well till he got stopped by Donny McCrory
    Huh? You mean Edison Miranda? He didnt get k.o.'d, and he was just coming off a big surgery. Believe me if they fought again I'd put alot on Green.
    No, he's talking about the time he fought McCrary and was out on his feet taking clean shots forever and the fight wasn't stopped. Really he was stopped.
    Wow, never saw that fight but its listed as a win for Green. If he came back to win by K.O. how do you reason he was out of it? McCrary is a tough nut but hasnt realized you can block punches in boxing its not illegal. Was it a end of the round deal?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was more of a 'this guy is undefeated, better not stop it' deal. He had the silliest look on his face of any fighter ever maybe, standing straight up, hands down stumbling around with his chin in the air. It was bad but yeah he came back like 2 rounds later but he never should have been in the situation in the first place.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also, this fight I'm pretty sure is gone from the web because I've been searching for it for over a year and have had no luck.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No Francisco Bojado??

Escalante shouldn't be in there, he was never the future of the division just a great all-action fighter who got clocked once. If Ortiz (who had more hype than any fighter in recent memory) shouldn't be in there, neither should he. The same goes for Sechew Powell.

I think John Duddy & Curtis Stevens are good calls, and Julio is an excellent call.

I think Shawn Porter will be a major bust, I don't rate him at all.

I think Jacobs, Guerrero and Lara will all go on to be dominant though. Craig McEwan looks destined for the bust bin, as does Frankie Gavin to me.

I can't remember if he's been mentioned, but Vicente Escobedo was the Ortiz before Ortiz. Orlando Cruz also had a lot of hype around him from Puerto Rico particularly.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another one of the "next big things" was one of the Velazquez brothers from Puerto Rico, can't remember which. He got shut down and had his will broken much like Ortiz, but at least he went to the cards after getting knocked down a few times (I think the ref actually even counted one as a knockdown).

This is a great topic and as a fan of ESPN2 FNF, this is something that happens pretty regularly on that show.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Another one of the "next big things" was one of the Velazquez brothers from Puerto Rico, can't remember which. He got shut down and had his will broken much like Ortiz, but at least he went to the cards after getting knocked down a few times (I think the ref actually even counted one as a knockdown).

This is a great topic and as a fan of ESPN2 FNF, this is something that happens pretty regularly on that show.
    I think that was Juan Velasquez, I was big on him thinking he'd be the future of 122. I thought about mentioning him, but chose Cruz instead because he was further along in his career. FNF is great for seeing this, you really do get competitive fights generally

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post

I think that was Juan Velasquez, I was big on him thinking he'd be the future of 122. I thought about mentioning him, but chose Cruz instead because he was further along in his career. FNF is great for seeing this, you really do get competitive fights generally
    A lot of times it's the first time you get to see how the fighters react to all the studio lights and stuff. Not everyone can handle that pressure.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post
    I think Edison Miranda got a lot of hype before and after his first loss to Abraham, ever since then he was made to look ordinary.

Definatly Jeff Lacy falls into this section
    Miranda still got a lot of hype after the Abraham loss. He broke his jaw and then lost a 'controversial' decision. Nobody knew Miranda until after that fight. Remember Hopkins called him the 'future' of the middleweight division and then Kelly Pavlik promptly shoved his face in the mud. I say after Pavlik is when the air went out of that balloon.

ICB Guest

Rey Bautista comes to mind straight away.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Yeah, he was not mentally ready for deLeon. I remember people saying he had a lot of similarities to a young Manny Pacquiao, and would be the next big pinoy star.

ICB Guest

Yeah, he was not mentally ready for deLeon. I remember people saying he had a lot of similarities to a young Manny Pacquiao, and would be the next big pinoy star.
    I rated him quite high at that time, i knew it was a big step up for him. But i thought he really would produce the goods, but it really ruined him as a fighter. I thought he could maybe comeback but it was sad to see him, lose so badly to Heriberto Ruiz.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I rated him quite high at that time, i knew it was a big step up for him. But i thought he really would produce the goods, but it really ruined him as a fighter. I thought he could maybe comeback but it was sad to see him, lose so badly to Heriberto Ruiz.
    Bautista did go on to win a world title though right, albiet briefly?

Jazmerkin, you're writing of Frankie Gavin all ready, Jim Watt and the Sky crew seem to love him, and Billy Jo Saunders

Maybe you guys are right about Escalante and Sechew Powell, it's just the first time I ever saw both fight they were getting an awful lot of attention.

For me I think Duddy, Julio and Andy Lee are the biggest recent failures, as it seems clear now from multiple outings for each that they are not cut out for world level, and all of them were hotly touted in the past.

Victor Ortiz I believe can be like Amir Khan and still get himself a world title so I don't discount him. I don't think Escalante will get that far, but maybe you are right and he wasn't as hyped as I thought.

I've only seen Craig McEwen fight once, has he lost yet? Maybe a bit soon to write a fighter off until they have actually been beat.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

Jazmerkin, you're writing of Frankie Gavin all ready, Jim Watt and the Sky crew seem to love him, and Billy Jo Saunders

Maybe you guys are right about Escalante and Sechew Powell, it's just the first time I ever saw both fight they were getting an awful lot of attention.

For me I think Duddy, Julio and Andy Lee are the biggest recent failures, as it seems clear now from multiple outings for each that they are not cut out for world level, and all of them were hotly touted in the past.

Victor Ortiz I believe can be like Amir Khan and still get himself a world title so I don't discount him. I don't think Escalante will get that far, but maybe you are right and he wasn't as hyped as I thought.

I've only seen Craig McEwen fight once, has he lost yet? Maybe a bit soon to write a fighter off until they have actually been beat.
    No he didn't win a world title to my knowledge.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

No he didn't win a world title to my knowledge.
    Yeah I don't remember Bautista ever winning an actual title.

Thread Information