Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cotto's Options

Ok , now that he's steamed by Foreman , what are his best career options? Which fights should he take or not take; simply where should he go on from here Miguel Cotto fans? Let me start with a short list of fighters he should avoid and those he would raise his career resume against

Fighters to avoid:

Floyd Mayweathe
    r- Im sure Floyd will be pushing for this fight since it would be a fairly easy win for a 154lbs title ; just because Cotto isn't physically bigger than Floyd. Floyd would batter Cotto to a late ko or easy decision

Pacman-- We all know Manny wants a title at Light middle. It can understand Pacman , but who wants to see Cotto get beat down again?

Sergei Dzinziruk- This guy would cause nightmares for Cotto. He's too big , has a great jab and can take a punch. Cotto would lose this and Sergei isnt a marketable guy either.

Sergio Martinez-
    He's bigger, a southpaw, as fast , if not faster and has a better chin. Martinez would ko Cotto if they'd be at 154

Good Fights for Cotto:

Angulo- Cotto would box circles around him, altough he must be aware of Angulo's power. I see Cotto winning on points

Sechew Powell - He's a decent lightmiddle that Cotto should handle quite well . Cotto ko

Mosley
    - A rematch against Mosley would be exciting to me . This time at 154 and we would see how much they both have left. Two legends that would be fighting for their careers . Could be good

Spinks- doesn't he have a title still? Not a bad target for unificatioon.

Average fights

Paul Wiilliams - A win over Paul would be huge for Cotto but it would be a risky fight. Williams would probably win but Cotto has a big chance and its a high reward fight.

Kermit Cintron - Cotto should win , but Cintron is a dangerous puncher . However, after the incident in the Paul Williams fight, who wants to see Cotto vs Cinton?

Margarito - I'd love to see Cotto beat this mofo's ass but we just don't know how he'll react to Margarito once they're in the ring. Would be a very tough fight for Cotto.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto's Options

Honestly, as good as Cotto looked tonight, I don't see him beating any of the elite at 154. He's just too small. He might beat limited or fragile fighters like Angulo or Cintron, but he will lose to the best at 154. I just don't see him being overly successful at the weight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Honestly, as good as Cotto looked tonight, I don't see him beating any of the elite at 154. He's just too small. He might beat limited or fragile fighters like Angulo or Cintron, but he will lose to the best at 154. I just don't see him being overly successful at the weight.
    The only guy at 154 that he'd be seriously undersized would be against Paul Williams. Against nearly anyone else at 154, he'd have a chance. I thought Cotto fought an excellent fight. His new trainer developed a particular strategy. Steward guided Cotto to a win. Without Steward, there's a good chance Foreman wins this fight. Cotto fought a very smart fight against Foreman. A very patient fight. And he eventually found Foreman. There were lots of back and forth rounds. Foreman through almost 300 punches and Cotto threw over 300 punches. Foreman had some great work in the 3rd and 4th round and tagged Cotto flush multiple times. Then Cotto came back and showed why he is a great former champion. Now Cotto is the champion and he has the choice to grant the former champion a rematch. Would Cotto be inclined to fight Foreman again? Or will he fight Pacquiao first. I think Cotto would fare much better against Pacquiao at 154, he was drained at 144/145. Pacquiao was obviously there at the fight.

And how bout Roy Jones with the color commentary on HBO. Two months removed from a 12 round war with Bernard Hopkins. he is back in the commentary booth.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dzinziruk is the toughest fight for Cotto right now. Tougher than Williams and Marinez

El Kabong Guest

In my honest opinion a HUGE fight for Cotto that would make a bank is Miguel Cotto-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.......one of the better rivalries in boxing Puerto Rico vs Mexico. Miguel would flatten JC Jr. too.

I think another good fight for Cotto is Berto.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would like to see Cotto vs Martinez, i think it would be a good fight. I would also like to see him and Margarito again, but margarito doesn't deserve the chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't see how you have Martinez as a fighter to avoid but not Williams.

History has shown us that high output durable fighters cause Cotto hell where on the other hand, Cotto has shown time and time again that he can handle movers. Obviously Martinez is a big step up for Cotto as far as movers are concerned but he certainly has a better chance against Martinez than Williams.

I'd give Cotto a slight chance against Martinez and no chance against Williams.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would to see Cotto avenge his defeat to marg, but do not want to see Marg be rewarded in any way, shape or form.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd like to see Cotto fight Margarito again the most.

Other fights at 154 i wouldn't mind is a Cintron fight, Angulo fight or a Spinks fight only because he has a title.

Martinez and Williams would be good fights but i don't like Cotto's chances in them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez movement in the ring would kill Cotto also the size, Yuri can penetrate Cotto using the ring, this (Yuri) guy is picking up until the accident happen. I dunno but using the ring movement just what i'd see with Foreman is the biggest problem for Cotto. For me it could be Spinks or Marga for Cotto.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu apprentice View Post
    In my honest opinion a HUGE fight for Cotto that would make a bank is Miguel Cotto-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.......one of the better rivalries in boxing Puerto Rico vs Mexico. Miguel would flatten JC Jr. too.

I think another good fight for Cotto is Berto.
    EITHER of those would make me extremely happy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pugilistic View Post

History has shown us that high output durable fighters cause Cotto hell where on the other hand, Cotto has shown time and time again that he can handle movers. Obviously Martinez is a big step up for Cotto as far as movers are concerned but he certainly has a better chance against Martinez than Williams.

how is that? Didn't Quintana school Williams in the first fight? So how does a caliber fighter of Cotto, no chance against Williams. I'm not saying he'd win but he'd have a big chance. And as for Martinez , I believe he's a better fighter than Williams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gest12645 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugilistic View Post

how is that? Didn't Quintana school Williams in the first fight? So how does a caliber fighter of Cotto, no chance against Williams. I'm not saying he'd win but he'd have a big chance. And as for Martinez , I believe he's a better fighter than Williams.
    Cotto doesn't have the movement that Quintana has, and he isn't as rangy plus he is easier to hit.

Quintana didn't school Williams either, he outboxed him clearly but schooling is Hopkins - Pavlik, Pacquiao - DLH, Mosley - Margarito, etc. People tend to use the "schooling" line abit too lightly lol.

I think Williams performance against Quintana the first time was based on Williams taking him lightly. We all seen what happened when Williams came prepared the second time.

I suppose no chance is a bit harsh on Cotto but given the style and size (15 inch reach advantage ) Williams has, Cotto chances don't look good.

You may think Martinez is the better fighter but there's no denying based on styles that Cotto has the better chance against Martinez than Williams.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brilliant performance by Cotto...

As for his future here's how I see it.

Let's start off by clearing up this Interim bullshit and kick Ishida's ass...
    Ishida IMO poses no big threats to Cotto.
    This fight only makes sense to clear the Interim out.

Aside from that fight I think Cotto should fight Williams or Angulo.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Who do you consider elite at 154?
    Just curious... Because I think he beats anyone of them on any given night.
    For the record I only consider Martinez & Williams elite at this moment.
    The rest are challengers/top contenders/title holders

Williams
    Cintron
    Martinez
    Margarito
    Angulo
    Rhodes

Thread Information