Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you put Prime RJJ in the current SMW tourney what happens?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If you put Prime RJJ in the current SMW tourney what happens?

Who does he beat or lose to and how?

Just another saddo hypothetical....
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

ICB Guest

Default Re: If you put Prime RJJ in the current SMW tourney what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather View Post
    Who does he beat or lose to and how?

Just another saddo hypothetical....
    At his best if he's really motivated, i think he stops them all pretty comfortably. Except Andre Ward who might be able to do what B-Hop done in 93. And fight a no win defensive fight to go 12 rounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with ice man, a prime Roy was cut from a different cloth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I pick him over AA, AG, Froch and Kessler on the fact of speed alone....if AA tried to wait around and do his infamous catch you in the later rounds strategy it is hopeless....Froch too easy to hit...AG well his last fight explains it all....

Ward- at this stage in his career I se him losing but giving Jones some serious issue but he is getting better all the time and if he keeps improving the way he is IMO in 3 or 4 fights it would b e a toss up that though is an if and we are talking about now....

Dirrell would be the biggest threat because of his speed and way he has the ability to move is amazing....If he was just a bit more agressive he would be the biggest force in the SS right now.....

Lets leave out the AA bfight and stay with only skill wise and ability

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

RJJ would beat them it was at light heavy he fought poor opposition, James Toney would have beaten this lot.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think not enough credit is given to these guys. Dirrell and Ward could very well go on to become the best fighters in the world at any division. Kessler could give Jones a few problems. Froch would be the easiest guy, but I also see Abraham being dangerous late because Roy would always fade a little late.

I just think it would be foolish to assume either he or Calzaghe would have an easy romp through this skilled field of men.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i personally think he destroys all of them, hes an all time great, like someone alredy mentioned, hes cut form a different cloth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is he actually though? ROy had a way of dominating guys that I think makes it hard to assertain a legitimately fair perspective of him. I mean we saw him have technical difficulties with lesser fighters than some of the guys in here, I mean look at Montel Griffin, who actually fights pretty similarly to ANdre Ward, but wasn't as good. I think Ward would make it a way more difficult fight for him. Also Roy was so much faster than his opponents, but there are plenty of guys in this tournament who have very good handspeed Abraham, Dirrell, Ward, and Kessler to a degree. Froch is just plain awkward, but I think Roy's movement, speed, and ring savy would be way too much for him.

But what happens when a guy like Dirrell who is rangier and taller, but also just as fast faces Roy? Roy certainly is the more polished fighter, but Dirrell I think has a lot of underrated skills in there, and he is better than anyone in the tournament on the outside.

What about Kessler? I think Roy would be a little too fast for him, but I think Kessler could really give Roy some difficulties simply because he has a really good jab with quick hands and Roy didn't really use a jab, except against Pazienza, in his prime.

I could also see Abraham being dangerous with that power and handspeed. Roy atpers off late, and if he had a mental lapse like he did against Dou Valle who knows what would have happened if it was Arthur connecting.

I think Roy is better than all of them, but Ward and Dirrell in particular are cut from that same cloth of greatness or have the potential to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Is he actually though? ROy had a way of dominating guys that I think makes it hard to assertain a legitimately fair perspective of him. I mean we saw him have technical difficulties with lesser fighters than some of the guys in here, I mean look at Montel Griffin, who actually fights pretty similarly to ANdre Ward, but wasn't as good. I think Ward would make it a way more difficult fight for him. Also Roy was so much faster than his opponents, but there are plenty of guys in this tournament who have very good handspeed Abraham, Dirrell, Ward, and Kessler to a degree. Froch is just plain awkward, but I think Roy's movement, speed, and ring savy would be way too much for him.

But what happens when a guy like Dirrell who is rangier and taller, but also just as fast faces Roy? Roy certainly is the more polished fighter, but Dirrell I think has a lot of underrated skills in there, and he is better than anyone in the tournament on the outside.

What about Kessler? I think Roy would be a little too fast for him, but I think Kessler could really give Roy some difficulties simply because he has a really good jab with quick hands and Roy didn't really use a jab, except against Pazienza, in his prime.

I could also see Abraham being dangerous with that power and handspeed. Roy atpers off late, and if he had a mental lapse like he did against Dou Valle who knows what would have happened if it was Arthur connecting.

I think Roy is better than all of them, but Ward and Dirrell in particular are cut from that same cloth of greatness or have the potential to be.

The montel fight was at LHW, Roy's first BTW..and what's with shrugging montel off? I'd pick that version of him over all of these guys based on the fact that he beat JAMES TONEY TWICE. And wasn't roy about to kayo Him in the first fight? Then smashed him in second?

Handspeed of these compared to that jones is fucking laughable. And kessler, froch, AA, would all be beaten by the Reggie Johnson who BTW fights similar to Kessler. And Roy has much more power, bullet speed vs turtle speed against AA.And would kayo him because his hands are never in position.

And dirrel is fast, but nowhere near as explosive as roy and roy's reflexes would catch dirrel on a counter and the night would be over.

And that mental lapse comes more from de valle being so familar with jones due to the numerous amounts of times they've sparred. and scores where 118-109..and it was a flash KD...

And what fight was it that you saw jones FADE late? His whole M.O was to take guys late pot shotting them until they quit...esp at light LHW, but at SMW he would usually finish them just as he'd do all of these guys. Except Ward, who someone already mentioned is about on the level of BHOP and any version of prime BHOP loses to Prime Jones 10 out of 10....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think not enough credit is given to these guys. Dirrell and Ward could very well go on to become the best fighters in the world at any division. Kessler could give Jones a few problems. Froch would be the easiest guy, but I also see Abraham being dangerous late because Roy would always fade a little late.

I just think it would be foolish to assume either he or Calzaghe would have an easy romp through this skilled field of men.
    I agree with the Calzaghe part....Jones is foregone conclusion....

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A prime Roy Jones knocks most of them out and doesn't lose a round against any of them.

A prime James Toney would beat anyone in the Super Six.

I honestly think Nigel Benn would KO most of them. With the exception of Ward and Dirrell, who very well might outbox Benn.

Froch, Kessler and Green would be cannon fodder for the Dark Destroyer.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

ICB Guest

Andre Dirrell is quite fragile i don't see him lasting long, with RJJ's crushing power at Super Middleweight. Mikkel Kessler is a good fighter, but he's basic and quite robotic in some area's. RJJ would easily pick him apart, Carl Froch with his low hand style. Would be destroyed in a matter of a few rounds.

Arthur Abraham's high hand style with his wild punches, would be useless against RJJ. Who would just pot-shot. If Andre Dirrell made Arthur Abraham look mediocre, RJJ would destroy him.

Andre Ward as i said would be his biggest test, but im still not completely sold on him. He's been rocked and been put down quite a few times, plus except for clinching and fighting a defensive fight. I don't see him being very effective except for going 12 rounds.

And finally as for Allan Green ? that would be a complete mismatch probably a 1 round job for RJJ.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think AA would be good challenge but Roy still takes him.The rest could not touch Jones.Froch and Kess are there to exploit and couldnt scratch the depth in diversity that Jones could bring...on the other end Ward and Dirrell are technicly capable and nice speed but would pale and are way to green for a SMW Jones jr.I like Ward and think hes crafty beyond his years but do believe we are starting to get into the overranking stage with him juuust a bit.He is no Hopkins yet,and Hopkins was not always the 43 yr old yawner we know today.Superb against single gear but strong Kess but blue prints were out on Miranda and reluctant Green.It is still very early in the bigger picture.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I think AA would be good challenge but Roy still takes him.The rest could not touch Jones.Froch and Kess are there to exploit and couldnt scratch the depth in diversity that Jones could bring...on the other end Ward and Dirrell are technicly capable and nice speed but would pale and are way to green for a SMW Jones jr.I like Ward and think hes crafty beyond his years but do believe we are starting to get into the overranking stage with him juuust a bit.He is no Hopkins yet,and Hopkins was not always the 43 yr old yawner we know today.Superb against single gear but strong Kess but blue prints were out on Miranda and reluctant Green.It is still very early in the bigger picture.
    Just curious why you think Arthur Abraham would be any sort of challenge ? Andre Dirrell made Arthur Abraham look stupid for 10 rounds. And if Andre Dirrell can do that with speed and pot shotting. RJJ would do that and more, and don't be suprised if he stopped him either, RJJ hit very hard at Super Middleweight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Just curious why you think Arthur Abraham would be any sort of challenge ? Andre Dirrell made Arthur Abraham look stupid for 10 rounds. And if Andre Dirrell can do that with speed and pot shotting. RJJ would do that and more, and don't be suprised if he stopped him either, RJJ hit very hard at Super Middleweight.
    Thought the same yeh,Jones takes him but I suppose I chalk it up to calibur and comp.Hey...couldnt make em all whitewashes and AA has strengh,good pop and experience of the lot to me.

Thread Information