Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jab seems to be the most tiring punch ! also getting bored on the bags...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jab seems to be the most tiring punch ! also getting bored on the bags...

I have heard jabs called the 'queen of boxing'. Most judges in amateur fighting look for the number of punches thrown and the jab becomes critical. Ask your coach if you can do jab drills with another more experienced fighter in the ring. That should put some challenge into your skill and expose any flaws in your delivery. Also a good way to polish up your slips and defense. Your partner can critique you between rounds and maybe give you some pointers. We use to refer to this a 'drills'. It was a step up from the heavy bag, and before full sparring.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jab seems to be the most tiring punch ! also getting bored on the bags...

Grey Lion what drills are there to work on the jab?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How about shadow sparring (no real contact, like shadow boxing for two boxers together) with ONLY Jabs allowed.

Or YOU only get jabs and he gets both hands etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jab drills are very simple, and I trained with them in the 60's. You get in the ring with a more experienced fighter. For the first three minutes you throw nothing but jabs at him and he slips. He does not return a punch. Rest one minute. Then next round he throws jabs and you slip without returning a punch. You alternate for however long you can last. It's more challenging then any bag. Most important, it is a great way to be critiques by another fighter or your coach. From jab drills, you can work on throwing nothing but rights, body shots, hooks or whatever. Then we worked into 'anything goes' and at that point you were sparring. I am 67 yrs old. Some of the terms I use may not be current, and some of the training methods I had may be out of style. It was my fortune to train with some old fighters who knew, or fought against some of the famous fighters from the 20's to 50's. I recall some of them telling about having to 'chop wood' or 'bust bolders with sledge hammers' as part of their training. When I work with a student, I have him hammer large grader tires with a sledge hammer at different angles, to build up the arms and shoulders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lion View Post
    Jab drills are very simple, and I trained with them in the 60's. You get in the ring with a more experienced fighter. For the first three minutes you throw nothing but jabs at him and he slips. He does not return a punch. Rest one minute. Then next round he throws jabs and you slip without returning a punch. You alternate for however long you can last. It's more challenging then any bag. Most important, it is a great way to be critiques by another fighter or your coach. From jab drills, you can work on throwing nothing but rights, body shots, hooks or whatever. Then we worked into 'anything goes' and at that point you were sparring. I am 67 yrs old. Some of the terms I use may not be current, and some of the training methods I had may be out of style. It was my fortune to train with some old fighters who knew, or fought against some of the famous fighters from the 20's to 50's. I recall some of them telling about having to 'chop wood' or 'bust bolders with sledge hammers' as part of their training. When I work with a student, I have him hammer large grader tires with a sledge hammer at different angles, to build up the arms and shoulders.
    The drills you posted actually work great. I've done similar with sparring partners, and it really helps you alot. It also helps a lot with feints, since you only have one punch in your arsenal to start you have to really throw the person on defense off and vice versa. It helps the defender separate feints from actual shots coming towards him.

I haven't spent too much time working this as I'm still working on getting a good grip on technique, then I'll go back to it and really spend a lot of time doing this.

Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default "The Left Jab" Cookbook - flash & sizzle

The good old jab - of course it does not have to be boring - remember the movie with Forrest Gump and Bubba. Remember when Bubba kept talking about shrimp and all the varieties of cooking and the variety of shrimp dishes. Well replace the word shrimp with the word jab, and there is a whole heap of cooking one can do in the ring or gym with the left jab - the only question now is the to get the "Left Jab" Cookbook for flashy jabs and sizzling jabs, speedy jabs and power jabs. THe ultimate test is to fight a fight and only use the left jabs and still do enough cooking to win the fight.
    BALANCE, LEVERAGE, ACCURACY, SPEED and TIMING - Effective punching.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The jab tells you where you are in relation to where the other guy is, trouble is, its telling Him where you are. Boring, never
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information