Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 2010 Fighter of the year front-runner

The year is half way over. And looking at fighters accomplishments this year, I say there no doubt the fighter of the year (as of right now) is Fernando Montiel. He's had an outstanding year so far. 3 fights already. And he ain't done yet. He destroyed the highly touted, Flip prospect Cisi Morales in 1 round this February. Does what other Bantamweights were scared to do and travels into Japan and dethrones the great, pound for pound legend Hozumi Hasegawa. Breaking the mans jaw in 4 rounds. That's a years worth of fights for most fighters now a days. But not Montiel. Not even 3 months pass by and Montiel is back in the ring against the rugged Rafael Concepcion. The normally durable Concepcion is destroyed in 3 rounds. It was a great performance by Montiel. By there is a downside to it. Montiel's performance last night most likely ends the possibility of a Montiel-Donaire showdown. There is little to no chance now Donaire would except a fight against the Bantamweight king. But one fighters cowardice shouldn't distract from the fact that Fernando Montiel is currently running away with this years fighter of the year honors. Not only that, but his knock out of Concepcion has to be consider the current leader for knock out of the year as well.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 2010 Fighter of the year front-runner

Gotta agree, Montiel is having a good year so far. He's at the top of his game right now and hopefully Donaire is his next oppenent.

Donaire is a shark in a small pond, Montiel should definetly fight him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Montiel earned huge respect including mine after what he did to Hasegawa. So far he's in my front runner too for FrOTY - just a tad ahead of Lopez. 'Can't wait til he face Donaire.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain View Post
    Gotta agree, Montiel is having a good year so far. He's at the top of his game right now and hopefully Donaire is his next oppenent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacstraightleft View Post
    Montiel earned huge respect including mine after what he did to Hasegawa. So far he's in my front runner too for FrOTY - just a tad ahead of Lopez. 'Can't wait til he face Donaire.
    Montiel proved he'll fight any one by going into Japan to face Hasegawa. If the Donaire fight fails to happen it's almost a given it's Nonito's fault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

Montiel proved he'll fight any one by going into Japan to face Hasegawa. If the Donaire fight fails to happen it's almost a given it's Nonito's fault.
    ummmm, and why is that?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by KKisser View Post

ummmm, and why is that?
    That's just Donaire's nature. The cloth he's cut from ain't a warrior cloth. He's cut from the same cloth that Omar Narvaez and Anthony Mundine are cut from. There ain't a fighter out there who's been discussed in more big fights but never happen than Nonito Donaire. One way or another big fights involving him find a way not to happen. Yet it's never Donaire's fault. Come on now.

I realize Donaire has his loyal fans. Most are looking for a replacement to Manny Pacquiao. And have branded Donaire that replacement. So every excuse will be used to defend Donaire. But facts just don't lie. Donaire opposition never gets any better. He looks for ways to avoid the best. Manny Pacquiao is a juiced up cheating bastard. But he at least gets credit for getting in the ring with the big names. Granted most were shot and no where near there prime. But he at least got in the ring with them. Donaire wouldn't even get in the ring with a shot to pieces Jorge Arce. What that tell you?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Montiel has made a strong case for himself in this regard. JuanMa is trying to do so as well. But you can't really argue with what Montiel has done.

Good call.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh shit Montiel broke the man's jaw?!!?

I didn't even realise the fight had happened!!!! Youtube, here I come....
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ummmm, and why is that?
    That's just Donaire's nature. The cloth he's cut from ain't a warrior cloth. He's cut from the same cloth that Omar Narvaez and Anthony Mundine are cut from. There ain't a fighter out there who's been discussed in more big fights but never happen than Nonito Donaire. One way or another big fights involving him find a way not to happen. Yet it's never Donaire's fault. Come on now.

I realize Donaire has his loyal fans. Most are looking for a replacement to Manny Pacquiao. And have branded Donaire that replacement. So every excuse will be used to defend Donaire. But facts just don't lie. Donaire opposition never gets any better. He looks for ways to avoid the best. Manny Pacquiao is a juiced up cheating bastard. But he at least gets credit for getting in the ring with the big names. Granted most were shot and no where near there prime. But he at least got in the ring with them. Donaire wouldn't even get in the ring with a shot to pieces Jorge Arce. What that tell you?
    what would be nice if those things you said were supported by a link so as to show it isn't only your opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fernando Montiel in a "Darchinyan" state of mind

now i wonder why montiel is more interested in donaire's leftover just right after their promoter announced a fight between him and nonito.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

now i wonder why montiel is more interested in donaire's leftover just right after their promoter announced a fight between him and nonito.
    So your actually gonna knock Montiel for going after the best? Darchinyan despite losing to Donaire has accomplished more than him. He's stated the loss was a fluke. And he might have a point considering the way Donaire avoided the rematch. If Montiel fights Darchinyan he'll be fighting the more accomplished fighter. A win over Darchinyan means more than a win over Donaire. Anyway if you pay attention to the article it simply mentions who his preference to fight is. Montiel knows which fighter does more for his legacy. And it's Darchinyan.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great call with Montiel...
    "KO-Chulito" Gotta love that nickname.
    He beats both Vic and Nonito IMO and he's willing to do what either one wont,
    that's fight them both.

JuanMa is also def. on there if he beats Rafa (Which I believe he will) I think he'll have a strong case there to close out the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So your actually gonna knock Montiel for going after the best? Darchinyan despite losing to Donaire has accomplished more than him. He's stated the loss was a fluke. And he might have a point considering the way Donaire avoided the rematch. If Montiel fights Darchinyan he'll be fighting the more accomplished fighter. A win over Darchinyan means more than a win over Donaire. Anyway if you pay attention to the article it simply mentions who his preference to fight is. Montiel knows which fighter does more for his legacy. And it's Darchinyan.
    you're kidding about donaire avoiding darchinyan right where vic recently had a nonito signed contract for the rematch and turned it down at the last moment.

also legacy wise, nonito is the better opponent being a top 10 pound for pounder who ktfo darchinyan. he's practically undefeated except for a disputable early career loss, whereas vic just lost to agbeko last year at bantamweight and still struggles at that division.
    Last edited by KKisser; 07-22-2010 at 08:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Great call with Montiel...
    "KO-Chulito" Gotta love that nickname.
    He beats both Vic and Nonito IMO and he's willing to do what either one wont,
    that's fight them both.

JuanMa is also def. on there if he beats Rafa (Which I believe he will) I think he'll have a strong case there to close out the year

my personal opinion as well
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you're kidding about donaire avoiding darchinyan right where vic recently had a nonito signed contract for the rematch and turned it down at the last moment.

also legacy wise, nonito is the better opponent being a top 10 pound for pounder who ktfo darchinyan. he's practically undefeated except for a disputable early career loss, whereas vic just lost to agbeko last year at bantamweight and still struggles at that division.
    Stop your damn lying. One fighter signed the contract and was ready to go. But it wasn't Donaire. He coward out and never signed.

By Ryan Songalia

Gary Shaw, promoter of WBC/WBA super-flyweight champion Vic Darchinyan, says he has a signed contract from Darchinyan to fight a rematch with Nonito Donaire Jr on August 21 at the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA. Shaw says he is waiting to hear from Donaire's promoter Top Rank "to see if we have a deal."

Darchinyan, 34-2-1 (27 KO), was defeated in five rounds by Donaire in July of 2007 in a performance Ring Magazine called both the "Knockout of the Year" and "Upset of the Year." Darchinyan has stead-fastly demanded a rematch through the media but one obstacle has always prevented the fight from happening.

"The only hurdle was me because I felt that Donaire stiffed me by changing promoters," said Shaw from his NJ-based office. "Obviously he switched and Darchinyan got the belts, all the fame on TV while Donaire has faded into darkness."

In a 2008 interview with this writer, Donaire complained of having only one month to prepare for his first IBF flyweight title defense against Luis Maldonado. When his next fight was mentioned for a co-featured slot underneath Darchinyan, Donaire asked manager Cameron Dunkin to negotiate a release. Donaire said there were two years remaining on his contract at the time.

"I appreciate everything Gary Shaw did for me," Donaire, now 23-1 (15 KO), told BoxingScene in 2008. "He got me a title fight, but I think that is as far as he can take me."

Shaw says that he relented to the rematch because Darchinyan "really wanted the fight", adding "I have a special relationship with him and the entire team so I said, 'OK, we'll do it.'"
    Source

Thread Information