Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about Mosley/Berto for January 2011?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How about Mosley/Berto for January 2011?

This was a fight that was supposed to happen at the start of this year, but obviously didn't. Since then Mosley has lost all but 2 rounds to Mayweather and scraped a draw against Mora. Not the best run of form. So how about going back to the original comeback plan and having that fight with Berto. Berto isn't busy right now and Mosley appears hungry to stay active and finish his career with a run.

I think it is a fight that makes perfect sense right now.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How about Mosley/Berto for January 2011?

I want to see it. Win or lose it's the perfect way for Shane to bow out imo. Pass the mantle onto another hot young American talent. If he loses, no disgrace at all, and it's a big name for Berto and a defining fight for him. And if he can win, he can leave the sport on a high, in much the same way B Hop should have after upsetting Kelly Pavlik.

A good fight that makes commercial and historic sense.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Furthermore, at 39 I really hope he stays away from a rematch with Mora. It doesn't really prove anything and is just a waste of time at this stage. I could understand it as a stay busy fight this time out, but once is enough. Nobody needs to see it again.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    I want to see it. Win or lose it's the perfect way for Shane to bow out imo. Pass the mantle onto another hot young American talent. If he loses, no disgrace at all, and it's a big name for Berto and a defining fight for him. And if he can win, he can leave the sport on a high, in much the same way B Hop should have after upsetting Kelly Pavlik.

It won't happen. If he beats Berto he'll keep on fight, and he'll probably do the same if he loses. When was the last time a fighter actually left this sport on a high?

As for the fight, I think at this point Berto beats a badly faded Mosley who can't seem to pull the trigger anymore (aside from two punches in the Mayweather fight).

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post

It won't happen. If he beats Berto he'll keep on fight, and he'll probably do the same if he loses. When was the last time a fighter actually left this sport on a high?

As for the fight, I think at this point Berto beats a badly faded Mosley who can't seem to pull the trigger anymore (aside from two punches in the Mayweather fight).
    Yeah you might be right unfortunately on his continuing to fight beyond a Berto showdown. I don't think he should do that, but then again if he can get a few more paydays and wants to cash in on his name at the end of his career who can really blame him.

I don't think Mosley, even at 39 is an easy fight for Berto though. It's a decent matchup.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post

I think he will continue too. Mosley has pretty much said he wants to carry on for a few more years. I think the only way to make him stop is to see him lose a couple of times and thus erase the paydays. A loss to Mora would have been pretty bad, but the draw enables him to scramble on somewhat. I would like to see him fight and beat Berto, which I think he can do. It's hard to judge from a fight this ugly just where Mosley is at though.

The only consolation I have from this fight is that Mora is much bigger than Mosley and is elusive and so negative. Mosley shouldn't really have been back at 154 and the fact that Mosley dug in and outworked his younger opponent to get back in it and arguably nick the win deserves credit. He isn't Jones Jr who simply won't throw and who is happy to coast out the 12. He is still competitive.

Mosley/Berto is needed IMO. It's a fight that just makes sense and if Mosley looks crap again then the question marks raised in the last two fights will have been answered. If he wins and does it in style then maybe we were all wrong. Just maybe Mora is that cagey and Mayweather really is so far beyond anyone else around.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why not wait a couple of years? Mosley will be 41-42 by then, and Berto will surely take him apart. Hell... the record will say "Berto W over Mosley". No one needs to know the details. That way, the Berto bandwagon can continue rolling on its merry way.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great for Mosley if he can get it. The question is will it be a PPV event?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosley will call it a day when he starts to get knocked out. At the moment he is still finishing his fights strong and over powering bigger men. He has pretty much lost all his technique now and relies on gritting it out which he is still good at. He just has to pick the right fights now and stop trying to prove himself as a warrior who will fight anyone anywhere. Berto I think beats him but its the best fioght for him down at welter.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post
    Mosley will call it a day when he starts to get knocked out. At the moment he is still finishing his fights strong and over powering bigger men. He has pretty much lost all his technique now and relies on gritting it out which he is still good at. He just has to pick the right fights now and stop trying to prove himself as a warrior who will fight anyone anywhere. Berto I think beats him but its the best fioght for him down at welter.
    Yea makes sense, I could agree with that. What about Zab Judah? .

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    Mosley made more than $1M for this fight. He deserved this sort of limited risk pay day. I agree he's needs to pick his fights now and stop proving himself as a warrior.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosley has one foot out the door but still lean to him over Berto. Berto is fast yes but squares and is pretty predictable and will be in front of even an old Mosley,jumping in one to many times for his own good. I think Berto is just not making tangible progress to avoid that power and out think Mosley. But after lastnight anything is possible and wish this would have happened when originally made.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shane should stay at welter and fight Berto if he cannot get Manny Pac, although at light middle he stands a good chance against Cotto.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Berto would beat the shit out of mosely, but more important what difference would it make. Mosley would get very little credit for beating berto and berto almost none if he beat shane. Right now berto is probably and i said probably faster, stronger, and a much better hugger than shane.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    I think he still beats Judah but maybe thats cuz Idont rate Zab much at all. I have no doubts he was be able to outspeed Sane early and sting him with a few nice straight lefts down the pipe but Judah almost always tires in the later rounds and this is when Shane comes on strong. If they met I reckon Judah would be ahead on the cards when Shane comes from behind to wear him down with body shots and pressures him to the point where Judah cant run anymore. When they exchange Mosley will take Zab out clean with a brutal KO. He wont need to time the punch as it will be mostly from fatigue that Judah decides to stay down. Another fight for Shane to consider cuz Zab struggles with big blokes too.

Thread Information