Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Guzman respond to Devon

For as long as it took for them to agree to terms to face one another, it seems that Devon Alexander and Tim Bradley are already looking beyond their January 29 clash.

Once signed, sealed and delivered, it didn’t take long for either to not only predict victory, but reveal plans to parlay such a win into a lucrative showdown with Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather.

Pursuit of such a payday is understandable, and forgivable for either fighter to look very far beyond their head-on collision.

What is rubbing some the wrong way is the opinions being developed of other fighters angling for a shot at the winner of what’s being referred to as the first major fight of 2011.

In particular, Devon Alexander’s comments on a variety of topics conducted in an interview recently posted on You Tube, struck a nerve with a certain fighter.

Undefeated former two-division champion Joan Guzman was none too pleased with his name making its way to Alexander’s thoughts, especially since it was mentioned in a derogatory manner and not to discuss the possibility of a future fight.

In a brief interview conducted earlier Tuesday, Guzman had the opportunity to comment and respond Alexander’s comments regarding his once-scheduled fight with Chris Fernandez, which would have been his first since his pair of tough fights with Ali Funeka.

"Devon Alexander should mind his own business when it comes down to who I am fighting,” Guzman said of his planned tune-up, which was recently scrapped due to an issue with the on-site investors.

“I heard his interview where he commented on Chris Fernandez and why I'm fighting a guy with 10 losses. Well, my fight with Fernandez was recently canceled. All he has to do is get past Bradley and we could get it on in the ring since he's so concerned with my career.”

The fight with Fernandez was intended as a rust-shaker, as he hasn’t had a sanctioned fight since his rematch with Funeka earlier this year. Guzman came out victorious, but once again lost his battle at the scales, weighing in well beyond the lightweight limit.

It was agreed by Guzman and his team that, while he could still realistically make the 135 lb limit with the right preparation, the logical step just to save face would be to move up to 140. They thought that by moving up to his fifth weight class as a pro, that the ultra-talented Dominican would have an easy time securing fights.

Wrong they were, which was why they wound up agreeing on Fernandez as an opponent. Not from cherry picking, but because they wanted to fight and had to accept whomever was willing.

“For the record, my team contacted Kendall Holt and his people turned us down, Lucas Matthysse turned us down, Andre Berto turned us down, Raymundo Beltran turned us down, Dorin Spivey turned us down, I asked for Victor Ortiz and that also went unanswered.

“I could go down a list of fighters that said no to me and the only one that had the heart was Fernandez. My respect goes out to him.”

Unfortunately for both, neither will be able to collect a payday against the other, barring a reschedule, though fights on that level rarely remain in queue for very long, or in any kind of demand when it comes to reserving TV dates.

The likely scenario is that Guzman winds up going idle for the remainder of 2010. Perhaps a long enough layoff will entice some of his peers to jump into the ring with him.

Ideally, he’d like one more fight before pursuing one on the level of the winner of Alexander-Bradley. But for now, he’ll just settle for whoever is willing to fight, rather than merely drop his name without any intention of stepping to him.

“If only some of these 140 pounders had the heart Fernandez has boxing would be in good shape, but instead we have to deal with managers who want to protect their fighters and others that just know how to run their mouths."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Guzman respond to Devon

Guzman should fight Kotelnik

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Guzman should not be allowed to fight below welterweight period.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great talent but clamoring to be a player here. Ate himself right out of it. 140 I think Bradley bats him around. And shame on Devon if he is reading his own headlines vs Bradley prematurally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed....He was lucky to get past Kotelnik who is a tough tough fighter but no where the skilled fighter of TM....Alexander might just be one of tjhose guys who believes too much of his own hype...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Guzman should just shut up all together. The guy has no disciplin and has managed to avoid a big fight his entire career. He was talented but he has wasted his best years by pulling out of fights, not making weight and generally being inactive. Look forward to seeing someone smash him up before he retires.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    Agreed....He was lucky to get past Kotelnik who is a tough tough fighter but no where the skilled fighter of TM....Alexander might just be one of tjhose guys who believes too much of his own hype...
    Only thing I worry about with Bradley is burnout but I think he opens Devon up for peak win. Dude is so well rounded now.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post
    Guzman should just shut up all together. The guy has no disciplin and has managed to avoid a big fight his entire career. He was talented but he has wasted his best years by pulling out of fights, not making weight and generally being inactive. Look forward to seeing someone smash him up before he retires.

Credit to Francis Vachon Photojournaliste, photographe de presse, corporatif, professionnel - Quebec Canada

These make you feel better?
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah why is guzman even talking, he got his ass handed to him by funeka in the first bout but in the wonderful world of boxing he came away with a draw. Then in the second fight he scraped by with a win while coming in who the hell knows how heavy, can't stand the guy honestly. As for devon I think he's fucked, if he's looking past bradley after in my eyes actually loosing to kotelnik...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    Yeah why is guzman even talking, he got his ass handed to him by funeka in the first bout but in the wonderful world of boxing he came away with a draw. Then in the second fight he scraped by with a win while coming in who the hell knows how heavy, can't stand the guy honestly. As for devon I think he's fucked, if he's looking past bradley after in my eyes actually loosing to kotelnik...
    alexander takes bradley im convinced of that

superior footwork and ability to outwork his opponent for 12rounds will get him through. I like bradley a lot but its just waiting for someone with the coordination and agility of alexander to take him out

devon will win on points
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

superior footwork and ability to outwork his opponent for 12rounds will get him through. I like bradley a lot but its just waiting for someone with the coordination and agility of alexander to take him out

devon will win on points

yeah don't see that happening, not saying bradley is a lock but he's not getting beat by being outworked. Phantom jabs that don't hit nothing but air aren't going to get him a win this time because he won't be fighting some non star ala kotelnik.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by HattonTheHammer View Post

devon will win on points
    Alexander will not outwork Bradley, if anything it's Bradley who has the better workrate. I actually think Bradley has more wrinkles to his game, particularly on the inside, but both get hit, I just feel that Alexander has a better chin & hits harder. Also while Kevin Cunningham is a complete cock, he's also a very astute trainer & good at spotting habits and how to exploit them. I reckon Alexander by mid to late stoppage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

devon will win on points

yeah don't see that happening, not saying bradley is a lock but he's not getting beat by being outworked. Phantom jabs that don't hit nothing but air aren't going to get him a win this time because he won't be fighting some non star ala kotelnik.

kotelnik the non-star who beat maidana and went 12rounds with khan

however you look at it if youve got a W next to his name that is a feather in the cap

bradley is far the bulkier of the 2 but yet its devon that packs the punch
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"kotelnik the non-star who beat maidana and went 12rounds with khan"

and also should have a w against alexander. What I meant by nonstar is obviously he's not being marketed as a star, he's not the next best thing. He's just a good fighter with not the most exciting of styles without much of a punch. Hence in a close fight he was never going to get a decision against alexander in america.

Thread Information