Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Joe Cortez

I just finished watching the Yuriorkis Gamboa v Orlando Salido fight. (Originally aired 2010-09-11.) I had actually missed it previously and was quite pleased to see it on Eurosport this evening.

Gamboa added to his resume and trophy cabinet, but the most remarkable performance of the night was from Joe Cortez. I have been critical of Cortez in the past, I had even gone as far as to call him biased and hypocritical given the contrast in his approaches to Hatton/PBF and Calz/BHop.
    However on this occasion on this occasion he actually annoyed me.

Each time the fighters clinched Cortez having separated the fighters, physically shoved both fighter back a couple of steps. Given the physical nature of the fight it is my belief that this additional pressure will have actually added to the fatigue of both fighters. I guess I am actually accusing Cortez of adversely affecting fighters in a world title fight.

In addition Salido went down in the final round.
    A legitimate knockdown, Gamboa showed frustration by striking Salido whilst he tumbled to the floor.
    I have seen fighters (AA) disqualified for similar fouls, I have seen referee's ignore this and dust the fighters gloves off (Cotto/Margarito Knockdown 1 Final Round.)
    But I have never seen a referee hesitate, look a round stupidly and then deduct two points from a fighter. This indicates an intentional professional foul, yet Salido was not awarded any recovery time.

Cortez's initial indecision, his curious judgement on the foul and his behaviour throughout the fight actually scared me.
    I would not like to have my safety in his hands.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joe Cortez

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    I just finished watching the Yuriorkis Gamboa v Orlando Salido fight. (Originally aired 2010-09-11.) I had actually missed it previously and was quite pleased to see it on Eurosport this evening.

Gamboa added to his resume and trophy cabinet, but the most remarkable performance of the night was from Joe Cortez. I have been critical of Cortez in the past, I had even gone as far as to call him biased and hypocritical given the contrast in his approaches to Hatton/PBF and Calz/BHop.
    However on this occasion on this occasion he actually annoyed me.

Each time the fighters clinched Cortez having separated the fighters, physically shoved both fighter back a couple of steps. Given the physical nature of the fight it is my belief that this additional pressure will have actually added to the fatigue of both fighters. I guess I am actually accusing Cortez of adversely affecting fighters in a world title fight.

In addition Salido went down in the final round.
    A legitimate knockdown, Gamboa showed frustration by striking Salido whilst he tumbled to the floor.
    I have seen fighters (AA) disqualified for similar fouls, I have seen referee's ignore this and dust the fighters gloves off (Cotto/Margarito Knockdown 1 Final Round.)
    But I have never seen a referee hesitate, look a round stupidly and then deduct two points from a fighter. This indicates an intentional professional foul, yet Salido was not awarded any recovery time.

Cortez's initial indecision, his curious judgement on the foul and his behaviour throughout the fight actually scared me.
    I would not like to have my safety in his hands.
    Say no to Joe, lessons for you future fight contracts.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One time, I was watching one of his gig. And he made a minor mistake, and didn't wanna acknowledge it. He just said something like "I handled 80 world championship fights". I was like "wtf man".

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cortez is a lime light seeking embarrassment to the good name of boxing officiating. He needs to retire soon, or catch a random hook whilst trying to get in on the action one time and call it a day.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was good once actually was fair in the old days, now the glamor has him and he thinks his job is to shape fights.
    Needs to leave before he gets worse.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed with all the above.

I hate to give out about anyone trying to do their job, but if I wasn't confident in a surgeon I wouldn't let him operate on me.
    Fighter's health relies on the judgement of the referee.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Cortez should have had his license yanked years ago. He wants to play a major role in the outcome of every fight he officiates. He is the Paris Hilton of officials.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was terrible again in the Khan/Maidana fight. It was a very good fight, but as usual he tried to interfere and impose himself when it was just not neccessary.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    He was terrible again in the Khan/Maidana fight. It was a very good fight, but as usual he tried to interfere and impose himself when it was just not neccessary.

Absolutely agree. "I'm fair but I'm firm" what a jackass.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Thread Information