Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Fedor Signs 4 fight deal with Strikeforce, To take part in 8 man Heavyweight Tourny

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Fedor Signs 4 fight deal with Strikeforce, To take part in 8 man Heavyweight Tourny

Strikeforce Announces Full Heavyweight Tournament Brackets - FightLine.com

Fedor Emelianenko's Manager Confirms 4-Fight Deal With Strikeforce - FightLine.com

Apparently Fedor has agreed a 4 fight deal with Strikeforce. As a result he will take part in an 8 Man Heavyweight Elimanation Tournament including all of Strikeforce's top Heavyweight fighters.

Fedor will fight Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva in the first quarter-final on February 12th, the co main event will be Andrei Arlovski vs. Sergei Kharitonov and the winner of those 2 fights meet in the semi's.

The second half of the bracket will be Alistair Overeem defending his Heavyweight title against Fabricio Werdum, and the winner of that fight will fight the winner of Brett Rogers vs. Josh Barnett.

Major deal for Strikeforce really, but could be interesting to see if they can get through that Tournament without any injuries/withdrawals.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fedor Signs 4 fight deal with Strikeforce, To take part in 8 man Heavyweight Tour

Great tournament it will make for some awesome fights! But the real deal is in the UFC and if Fedor doesn't fight the top guys now he can't call himself the best heavyweight in the world. Back in the pride days you could argue he was but as of late he isnt close to being seen as the best. In 2008 he only fought Tim Sylvia who was KO'd by Ray Mercer. Then in 2009 he fought the UFC cut Andrei Arlovski and the untested Brett Rogers then his only fight in 2010 was a loss to Fabricio Werdum. He need to fight the top tear guys this is a step forward but he need to do more.
    Hidden Content
    Records are for DJ's - Dan 'The outlaw' Hardy

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fedor Signs 4 fight deal with Strikeforce, To take part in 8 man Heavyweight Tour

Quote Originally Posted by mattboxingfan View Post
    Great tournament it will make for some awesome fights! But the real deal is in the UFC and if Fedor doesn't fight the top guys now he can't call himself the best heavyweight in the world. Back in the pride days you could argue he was but as of late he isnt close to being seen as the best. In 2008 he only fought Tim Sylvia who was KO'd by Ray Mercer. Then in 2009 he fought the UFC cut Andrei Arlovski and the untested Brett Rogers then his only fight in 2010 was a loss to Fabricio Werdum. He need to fight the top tear guys this is a step forward but he need to do more.
    I used to agree but UFC's Heavyweight division is currently a little thin on the ground and the fighters they have seem prone to injury. I'm not unhappy with his decision to stick with what he has.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm really looking forwad to this. Arlovski is very talented but the guy just checks out in some fights and simply doesn't seem to have the chin for HWs. Khartinov is also a guy that can look great one day and awful the next. I don't think either of these guys can put together 3 full rounds to beat Fedor. I really don't see Werdum or Rogers beating Overeem and Barnett. I hope to see Fedor and Barnett in the finals. I've always wanted to see this fight.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They bracketed it kind of weird:

On one side:
    Fedor vs Big Foot
    Overeem vs Werdum

The other:
    Arlovski vs Kharitonov
    Barnett vs Rogers

It's like they want Barnett in the finals, a thank you for scuttling Affliction I guess. If they swapped Overeem's fight with Kharitonov's it would make more sense. But still a great line up!

I got Fedor over Barnett in the finals, how about you guys?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post

On one side:
    Fedor vs Big Foot
    Overeem vs Werdum

The other:
    Arlovski vs Kharitonov
    Barnett vs Rogers

It's like they want Barnett in the finals, a thank you for scuttling Affliction I guess. If they swapped Overeem's fight with Kharitonov's it would make more sense. But still a great line up!

No that's incorrect.

Brackets are...

On one side
    Fedor vs Bigfoot
    Arlovski vs. Kharitonov

Second side
    Overeem vs Werdum
    Barnett vs Rogers

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VanChilds View Post
    I'm really looking forwad to this. Arlovski is very talented but the guy just checks out in some fights and simply doesn't seem to have the chin for HWs. Khartinov is also a guy that can look great one day and awful the next. I don't think either of these guys can put together 3 full rounds to beat Fedor. I really don't see Werdum or Rogers beating Overeem and Barnett. I hope to see Fedor and Barnett in the finals. I've always wanted to see this fight.
    He beat him once before. Made him tap. No reason he can't do it again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post

On one side:
    Fedor vs Big Foot
    Overeem vs Werdum

The other:
    Arlovski vs Kharitonov
    Barnett vs Rogers

No that's incorrect.

Brackets are...

On one side
    Fedor vs Bigfoot
    Arlovski vs. Kharitonov

Second side
    Overeem vs Werdum
    Barnett vs Rogers
    This is what I found, it shows the brackets I posted, and it's what I'm seeing on MMA websites

http://insidefights.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/lores_strikeforce-bracket.jpg

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that when he beat him Overeem was still attempting to campaign at LHW. Alistair is much better at HW considering the toll that the cut put on him. I wouldn't be in shock if he lost to Werdum but I think Overeem can and will keep the fight standing. Pretty slim chance of Fabricio winning the fight if he cant get it to the mat.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that when he beat him Overeem was still attempting to campaign at LHW. Alistair is much better at HW considering the toll that the cut put on him. I wouldn't be in shock if he lost to Werdum but I think Overeem can and will keep the fight standing. Pretty slim chance of Fabricio winning the fight if he cant get it to the mat.
    I agree, Overeem has improved rapidly. But I didn't give Werdum a prayer against Fedor but Fabricio said he'd make him tap in the first and he was a man of his word.

Captain - As for the brackets, seems to be a conflicting report, but if you've seen it on numerous websites then I'd imagine you're right. Seems strange to me. They must have guaranteed Fedor a title shot should he get past Silva.

Thread Information