Lots of threads about combination punching, body punching and volume punching. Not a ton on accuracy and targeting of punching. I have always thought that there is a great deal to be learned from the bareknuckle fighters because they fought to a finish and had no hand protection. I've always thought that defensive moves then would have involved a lot of parrying and misdirecting of blows, and that punches would have had to have been accurately and deliberately placed for maximum effect on the opponent and the least amount of damage to the hand. Even years into the gloved era heavyweights, like Dempsey and Gunboat Smith were fightiung with 4 ounce gloves (and training in 8's).
Now there is such an emphasis on throwing a lot of punches that I wonder if anybody really has an idea of where there are all going? In my estimation a lot of necessary defensive skill and proper punching gets lost in the hurry to "throw punches in bunches." I like to emphasize, early on, the slip and the initial counter, get that right, then worry about what comes next- other punches and getting out.
So, before I get thoroughly side-tracked, when you are punching, WHERE are you trying to land those punches, and what are you expecting to accomplish?