Default Re: Top 5 P4P Now?

Pretty good list.

I'll go with

Pacquaio
    Mayweather
    Martinez
    Donaire (I guess)
    Bradley

Marquez for me is now a sideshow, great fighter but no longer competing to try and win world titles and unify divisions. He's the past so I won't include him.

I think Andre Ward will prove himself top 4 as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donaire is still no.5 to me

Pacquiao only became 1 of the top 10 p4p best after knocking out Barrera.

I just want Donaire to stay hungry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

definitely at least 4. that performance is at par if not better than martinez's ko of pwill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

..... let's not get carried away.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was pretty obvious even from the first round that Donaire wants to prove something and I could not believe what I saw in the 2nd round. I was expecting a very hard fight for Donaire as he was going up and testing the bantamweight division.

There's no doubt now as to Donaire's talent and power. Top 4 P4P. I agree with Bilbo. Marquez is out from the top 5 and he must give way to Donaire.

The Filipinos must rejoice for we have a new man to watch in boxing. Pac's out, Donaire's in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by KananKrus View Post
    getting carried away is putting donaire at no. 2. imo he deserve to move at least a position up the p4p ranking.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would probably have Donaire in the 5 - 7 range. He's a tremendously skilled fighter and he just beat an incredibly skilled P4P fighter, but he doesn't have the resume to be ranked higher than guys like Martinez and Marquez. That being said, he looks like he's poised to one day be ranked at the top of the list.

Of course, P4P lists are ridiculously subjective, which is why it's pointless to argue about them. I just took a look at the Ring's rankings and mine would differ significantly from theirs.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by KKisser View Post
    getting carried away is putting donaire at no. 2. imo he deserve to move at least a position up the p4p ranking.
    Even I won't argue against a number 4 ranking now. He's fought the two fighters regarded as the best opposition out there at that time and totally smashed them. I don't think anybody else has done that lately. Martinez hasn't, Bradley, Marquez, Lopez, Ward etc.

Only Pacquaio has been toppling top guys as impressively.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Pretty good list.

I'll go with

Pacquaio
    Mayweather
    Martinez
    Donaire (I guess)
    Bradley

Marquez for me is now a sideshow, great fighter but no longer competing to try and win world titles and unify divisions. He's the past so I won't include him.

JMM took on the most dangerous opposition at Lightweight and beat them convincingly. I don't see how you can he's no longer "competing" just because he doesn't want to move up in weight where he will be uncomfortable. He hasn't had an easy fight in years, he's constantly took on tough opposition.

Timothy Bradley wasn't that great in his last meeting, and he was only ahead by 2 points at the max. In a pretty dull fight where there was no real clear winner.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pretty good list.

I'll go with

Pacquaio
    Mayweather
    Martinez
    Donaire (I guess)
    Bradley

The second Diaz fight aside, Marquez' recent level of opposition has been very impressive IMO. I think he's looked old in his last couple of fights and I think his time is getting short, but (to me) it seems like he's still trying to fight the best. He's been trying to land a third Pacquiao fight forever.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even I won't argue against a number 4 ranking now. He's fought the two fighters regarded as the best opposition out there at that time and totally smashed them. I don't think anybody else has done that lately. Martinez hasn't, Bradley, Marquez, Lopez, Ward etc.

How could Martinez recent opposition have been better? He completely outclassed the top fighters in two divisions.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Pretty good list.

I'll go with

Pacquaio
    Mayweather
    Martinez
    Donaire (I guess)
    Bradley

The second Diaz fight aside, Marquez' recent level of opposition has been very impressive IMO. I think he's looked old in his last couple of fights and I think his time is getting short, but (to me) it seems like he's still trying to fight the best. He's been trying to land a third Pacquiao fight forever.
    I don't really think he's been impressive for a while. Casamayor, Juan Diaz and Katsidis are the kind of fighters up and comers and new champions face not those at the top of the p4p rankings. Pacquaio gets slated for fighting the likes of Margarito, Cotto and Mosley, even though he's been destroying them.

In comparison Casa, Diaz and Katsidis are B- level fighters and Marquez has gone life and death with all of them. He lost every single round to Floyd who imo carried him through to the final bell.

He's an old warhorse at the same stage as Morales was when Manny finished him and Barrera was when he lost to Marquez himself and Manny for the second time.

Not a factor any more imo.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How could Martinez recent opposition have been better? He completely outclassed the top fighters in two divisions.
    His opposition has been steller but he hasn't destroyed them the way Donaire has. He lost the first fight with Williams, fought to a draw with Kermit Cintron (yes I know it was bullshit).

Meanwhile Donaire has wrecked his opposition, completely sparking them like Martinez did in the Williams rematch.

I think Martinez is 1-1-1 in his last three fights?

Oh he did beat Pavlik too. But again it was a competive fight until down the stretch and it went to the cards. Not a demolition like Donaire did tonight and against Vic.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pretty good list.

I'll go with

Pacquaio
    Mayweather
    Martinez
    Donaire (I guess)
    Bradley

I don't really think he's been impressive for a while. Casamayor, Juan Diaz and Katsidis are the kind of fighters up and comers and new champions face not those at the top of the p4p rankings. Pacquaio gets slated for fighting the likes of Margarito, Cotto and Mosley, even though he's been destroying them.

In comparison Casa, Diaz and Katsidis are B- level fighters and Marquez has gone life and death with all of them. He lost every single round to Floyd who imo carried him through to the final bell.

He's an old warhorse at the same stage as Morales was when Manny finished him and Barrera was when he lost to Marquez himself and Manny for the second time.

Not a factor any more imo.
    When compared to Manny Pacquiao almost any fighter's level of competition pales, he's one of the greatest fighters of all time, but that doesn't mean that Marquez hasn't been fighting high-level opposition. Katsidis was a legitimate opponent who was coming off a complete destruction of a very good, unbeaten fighter, and while the second Diaz fight was a garbage cash-grab, he was considered an excellent fighter when they first met.

Thread Information