Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wlad vs the ATG HWs such as Ali, Holmes, Tyson, Holyfield, Foreman, Lewis, etc.

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Wlad vs the ATG HWs such as Ali, Holmes, Tyson, Holyfield, Foreman, Lewis, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    that turkey couldnt hit the broadshot of a red-owl barn with a lightpole extending from his "shoulder" to whatever target on Foreman or Tyson or Holmes he happened to be sadly aiming at. and that's a fact.
    Yeah because all those guys are sooo difficult to hit and Wlad just has horrible punch accuracy right? Foeman didn't try to BOX in the 70's if he did he wouldn't have lost to Ali PLUS he fought in a crouch which IMO is a bad idea if you're going to fight Wlad as it just gives him the chance to jab the crap out of you all fight.

If you guys are so certain Mike Tyson would beat Wlad then why not bring up Dempsey or Marciano? I mean if a guy that's 5'10 and 215-220 can beat Wlad all because of a little head movement and short combinations then why not a guy that's 195 or 188? Why stop at Tyson, why not bring up Pacquiao or Floyd?

People hate on me for giving little respect to Wlad's next opponent, but I don't doubt the guy's skill, I doubt he';ll be successful vs Wlad, but other than that it just depends on how strictly technical he wants to be in the ring. You guys act like just any schmuck off the street could beat Wlad or do a better job as champion than him....tough luck for you all that he's going to be around for quite a bit longer and I'll be here to remind you about it

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Wlad vs the ATG HWs such as Ali, Holmes, Tyson, Holyfield, Foreman, Lewis, etc.

And before anyone blows what I said out of proportion, I'm not saying that Wlad is as historically great as any of the fighters mentioned, but I don't think he's "easy" for anyone to beat just like Lennox Lewis would not be "easy" for anyone to beat. Wlad has a style of his own, he's equal parts boxer and power puncher and to me that makes him well rounded and given his size it makes him a very difficult matchup for anybody.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    I respect Wlad for being the man right now at HW but some of his fans are of the opinion that he belongs up there and possibly beat any atg HW with ease because of size, power, and being allowed to clinch. So let's start the speculation. How would he do against these ATG HWs at their peak?

Wlad vs. ALi?

Wlad vs. Foreman (70s version)?

Wlad vs Holyfield?

Wlad vs. Lennox Lewis?

Wlad vs. Larry Holmes?

Wlad vs. Tyson (80s version)?

Discuss.
    -Muhammad Ali 10 out 10

-Monster Foreman 10KO's out 10 fights

-Wladimir's rasor sharp jab would give evander a very hard time every fight but i think he could win maybe a couple of times same way he was able to get a W over the bigger Riddick Bowe. Wlad 8-2 over Holyfield

-Lennox doesnt have the chin of the other guys so i think Wlad gets the one hit KO a few times. 6-4 for Lennox Lewis

-Larry Holmes has underated power and an iron chin. If he was able to get up from the monster shot he took from Ernie Shavers and win he'll do it againts Wlad just in case he got caught. 10-0 for Larry Holmes

Wlad vs Tyson ? the 86 to 89 Tyson? Tyson 10KO out 10

=====

Muhammad Ali get up from that huge Frazier left hook
    Holmes got up from Ernie Shavers monster left hook
    Foreman absorbed power bombs from Evander for 12 rounds and didnt go down

Wlad's chin is too much of disadvantage for him againts these elite guys. A great chin is a requirement for an ATG Heavyweight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

These are all hypotheticals though and people are going to see things differently.
    That I agree.

I would favor Wlad over anybody else if he has his brother's chin.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People are saying that Wladimer would beat Ali because of his size? Ali had no trouble with people Wladimer's size, do people forget that one of Ali's most dominant performances was against Ernie Terrell. Terrell was as tall as Wladimer and had a longer reach and even he had issues landing a jab on Ali and Ali completely nullified his jab.

Watch this vid at about 10 seconds.

That's Ali against Terrell, he has a longer reach than Wlad and is the same size, Ali completely took his left away from him.

Don't pick Wlad just because you think he has size over Ali, Ali had no issue beating fighters with size nor nullifying fighters with strong jabs, if we're talking prime for prime I wouldn't pick Wladimer over Ali.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

El Kabong Guest

OK Ernie Terrell, better or worse than Wlad?

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Worse but Ali is still better than Wlad.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Worse but Ali is still better than Wlad.
    ...I'm not arguing that point, I'm just giving an example, I mean Primo Carnera was a huge mofo but you wouldn't say Max Baer whipped the crap out of him and since he was a similar size to Wlad then Max Baer would have an easy time with Wlad...it doesn't work that way

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fine then on Ali, Holmes, Tyson, Holyfield, Foreman are question marks on whether or not they beat Wlad.

Lewis on the other hand more than likely whips him. Hell I'll take the past his prime 38 year old, fat, out of shape, woefully inactive Lennox to whip Wlad.

The worst version of Lennox was still able to take massive shots from Vitali and do this to him. I don't think he would turn Wlad's face into "pizza face." Just a brutal knockout that's all. If a past his prime 38 year old Lennox can take Vitali's huge shots like they were nothing, then I don't see how Wlad hurts him. On the other hand I don't think Wlad could take massive rights from Lennox.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Majesty, great clip on Ali's reflexes. At his absolute prime...there has never been a heavyweight who can even come close to his footwork, speed, and reflexes.

Wlad is a huge guy with a good skill set. But boxing isn't always about size. It is about the intangibles: heart, chin, adapting, etc. Wlad is chinny....which immediately puts him at a huge disadvantage against monster punchers like Tyson or Foreman. He has been tagged by much lesser fighters...so you would have to think guys like Tyson, Foreman, and Lewis would connect and finish him.

While Wlad has a good skill set for a big guy...he is a bit mechanical. Fighters like Ali, Holmes, and Holyfield (while not having the enormous size) are very skilled and crafty. Not to mention great chins.

I think we can all agree that recent years have been some of the weakest in the history of the heavyweight division. Certainly not Wlad's fault...but i just don't see the evidence to back up that he would beat some of the greats of the past.

Thread Information