Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: If Martinez is the best fighter in the sport how about fighting Ward, Kessler, Froch,

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If Martinez is the best fighter in the sport how about fighting Ward, Kessler, Fr

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    Let's get back on topic. If Martinez is the best fighter in the sport as a lot of people have claimed, why not move up to fight Andre Ward or any top 168 pound fighter. Since his division sucks. Hell it was just mentioned that Cotto should move up to 160 and fight him.

So everyone from the lower weights should move up to fight Martinez, but Martinez is given a pass to not move up?

Great logic ain't it?
    I hear ya General. It just kills me that the middleweight champ, one of the sport's storied divisions, has to go hunting like this for a challenge. it's crazy!

I STILL say the right thing to do is spend the next twelve months doing a 160 Bum of the Month Club. Just start knocking the Ring ranked 160's off one after another. Fight 6-8 times in the next 12 months. By then hopefully a couple of the largely unproven younguns, Saul Alvarez, Chavez Jr, Lee, Fernando Guerrero, Bursak from Germany, Martyrosian, Erislandy Lara, etc. will have separated themselves.

Of course if Williams or Pavlik or Abraham want a shot at 160 along the way that works too.
    Golovkin will beat N'Jam. He'll make a good fight for Sergio down the road. Gennady also will be the mandatory for Sturm at some point (right?). Gennady should beat Sturm too. Gennady may be the goods. So, I agree bide his time at middleweight until someone emerges from the fray as a really worthy challenger.

Mick or Killer, I can't recall, put me on to this middleweight prospect Gregorz Proksa a while ago. He's supposed to be solid. And there's always, Matvey Korobov who should emerge in the future. It's odd that Matvey Korobov's career hasn't progressed faster. Is it that he struggled more with Derrick Findley than they expected? Did you know that Korobov beat Ismail Syllakh in the amateurs?
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 05-20-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If Martinez is the best fighter in the sport how about fighting Ward, Kessler, Fr

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    Let's get back on topic. If Martinez is the best fighter in the sport as a lot of people have claimed, why not move up to fight Andre Ward or any top 168 pound fighter. Since his division sucks. Hell it was just mentioned that Cotto should move up to 160 and fight him.

So everyone from the lower weights should move up to fight Martinez, but Martinez is given a pass to not move up?

Great logic ain't it?
    I hear ya General. It just kills me that the middleweight champ, one of the sport's storied divisions, has to go hunting like this for a challenge. it's crazy!

I STILL say the right thing to do is spend the next twelve months doing a 160 Bum of the Month Club. Just start knocking the Ring ranked 160's off one after another. Fight 6-8 times in the next 12 months. By then hopefully a couple of the largely unproven younguns, Saul Alvarez, Chavez Jr, Lee, Fernando Guerrero, Bursak from Germany, Martyrosian, Erislandy Lara, etc. will have separated themselves.

Of course if Williams or Pavlik or Abraham want a shot at 160 along the way that works too.
    Golovkin will beat N'Jam. He'll make a good fight for Sergio down the road. Gennady also will be the mandatory for Sturm at some point (right?). Gennady should beat Sturm too. Gennady may be the goods. So, I agree bide his time at middleweight until someone emerges from the fray as a really worthy challenger.

Mick or Killer, I can't recall, put me on to this middleweight prospect Gregorz Proksa a while ago. He's supposed to be solid. And there's always, Matvey Korobov who should emerge in the future. It's odd that Matvey Korobov's career hasn't progressed faster. Is it that he struggled more with Derrick Findley than they expected? Did you know that Korobov beat Ismail Syllakh in the amateurs?
    Yeah Korobov seems to have gone sideways, and no, I did not know that. Thanks!
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez won't fight them.

High risk, Low reward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that's true, it's actually all about the money. that's is why martinez keeps calling floyd and pacquiao coz they're smaller guys who he feels he'd have an easier job of beating for the biggest payday of his career, which is nowhere near what he'd get fighting those other guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why even make a big deal about this while ward, froch, and bute are already tied up with other plans for the forseable future. I think Martinez would prob beat any of them anyway.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Sergio should jump to 168 yet, I think the fight that makes the most sense is Sturm in Germany (because Sturm won't leave Germany since the ODLH debacle). I believe he should look to move up to 168 after the S6 is over (should be the end of this year I think). Second to that I think Geale would be the fall back option. I think a decent tertiary option is Pirog although he didn't look that great against Maciel.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Simple, cuz it takes 2 to tango...
    Wards busy in the S6 and so is Froch.

I'm a huge Kess fan possibly the biggest fan on this side of the Atlantic.
    But I'm certain he would want no part of Sergio as a comeback fight from an injury.

Bute & SHO already have his next 3 fights penciled in and they have a rough idea of the opponents. I'd bet my left ball that Sergio is not one of the names they have on there.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I forgot to mention that I think if he does move up he should fight Steiglitz to get his feet wet as I think that Sergio has what it takes to beat him...

Thread Information