1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default re: Favourite Martial Arts Film

Quote Originally Posted by Stickgrappler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Watched 13 Assassins it was a very good film, evil and corrupt bad guy, samurai honour and a lot of violence.
    i've been hesitant despite some friends highly reco'ing it to me. cos it's a Miike film, scared he will go gory on it as only he can, not hollywood gore.

but sooner or later, i will watch it.
    I watched it to see if it was suitable for my kids. It most certainly is not.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've mentioned it before I'm sure on here, I'm a wussy and not ashamed to admit it when it comes to Takashi Miike movies. After Ichi the Killer and Audition, I can't watch his movies, want to watch 13 Assasins though, but will watch later rather than sooner

Domo arigato gozaimasu Master!
    "A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, & good stickgrappling & can keep track of all 3 simultaneously. This is a good trick & can be quite effective." - Marc 'Crafty Dog' Denny

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As it was Wesley Snipes' 51st birthday yesterday, I rewatched Passenger 57. Too bad, Snipes didn't have a MAist for the boss bad guy, would've been cooler fight.

Made some animated GIF's - Enjoy!

6 more here

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2013/07...ey-snipes.html

5 more here
    Wesley Snipes' Passenger 57 GIF Set 2 ~ Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillion Steps
    "A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, & good stickgrappling & can keep track of all 3 simultaneously. This is a good trick & can be quite effective." - Marc 'Crafty Dog' Denny

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of the greatest Korean Movies of all time and it's a true story about a guy named Kim Doo Han who lived through the Japanese occupation. He became a mob boss and made history by defeating all the best fighters from the Yakuza clan..

Full

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watched unleashed starring jet li which was interesting but not brilliant.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    One of the greatest Korean Movies of all time and it's a true story about a guy named Kim Doo Han who lived through the Japanese occupation. He became a mob boss and made history by defeating all the best fighters from the Yakuza clan..

Full

i will add this to my loooong list of To Watch movies -- thx!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Watched unleashed starring jet li which was interesting but not brilliant.
    I'm not ashamed to say that I've not watched many/all of Jet's Hollywood movies (or Jackie's for that matter)

Will watch at some point, way lower on my To Watch list.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lau Kar Leung, noted Shaw Brothers director, star, martial arts choreographer, passed away recently.

Watched with my son in his honor, 36th Chamber of Shaolin (aka Master Killer) earlier, and this past weekend, we watched 2 films he directed (and he starred in one of them too)

Martial Club

It's about a young Wong Fei-hong (portrayed here by Gordon "Master Killer" Liu) growing in skill and wisdom from young not-as-skilled and looking to compete with friend to a wise young master with skills. A northern master comes to the South and is duped in helping a rival school/kwoon against Wong Fei-hung's school/kwoon. Film opens with impressive lion dancing scene with literally 100's of extras (i don't recall seeing that many extras in one Shaw Bros scene!)

Johnny Wang Lung-wei, usually plays a villain in the Shaw Brothers movies, plays a hero this time (probably only time!) - the northern master, who ends up testing Wong Fei-hung's skills in some nice scenes towards the end of the movie.

Lau Kar-leung is known to display traditional martial arts values in his films, no one dies in this, and mutual respect is shown between Wong and the northern master.

some critics say this is Lau Kar-leung's best, i liked it a lot, think it is very good, but reserve 36th Chamber of Shaolin as Lau's best with close runner up Heroes of the East aka Shaolin vs Ninja (my most favorite Lau Kar-leung film)

Mad Monkey Kung Fu

Lau Kar-leung directs as well as stars in this opposited Lo Lieh (Five Fingers of Death fame). He plays a kung fu master who performs in the Chinese Operas and is proud of his skills. He played Sun Wukong aka the Monkey King and is a master of yep, you guessed it, Monkey Fist.

Lo Lieh, jealous of his skill as well as coveting Lau's sister, played by Kara Hui aka Wai Ying-hung (My Young Auntie, sister to Austin Wai, who passed away some months ago) hatches an evil scheme and Lau falls into the trap. Ultimately he gets his hands broken and goes away. Years later, we find him as street peformer with a monkey and the local ruffians extort him. A young man nicknamed 'Little Monkey' comes to his rescue and one thing leads to another, Lau trains Little Monkey in Monkey Fist and yep you guessed it again, Lau and Little Monkey go fight Lo Lieh at the end of the movie.

Some nice Monkey Fist in action in this movie.

I liked Martial Club more than Mad Monkey Kung Fu but did enjoy both overall. Martial Club despite its hype won't supplant Heroes of the East nor 36th Chamber of Shaolin for me.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can you guys remember an old kung fu movie (shaw brother days) with a fat guy as the main character (i'm pretty sure it wasn't Sammo Hung). It was hilarious. There was a scene where the fat man and an old man have a competiton by punching each other in the belly? It's comedy gold but for the life of me I can't remember it
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Can you guys remember an old kung fu movie (shaw brother days) with a fat guy as the main character (i'm pretty sure it wasn't Sammo Hung). It was hilarious. There was a scene where the fat man and an old man have a competiton by punching each other in the belly? It's comedy gold but for the life of me I can't remember it
    ACK! you stumped me! lol

i will ask around, hopefully that's enough infor for one of my friends.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watched House of Flying Daggers which was good but martial arts films have a strange obsession with death. It must be a cultural thing that they see it as an ultimate sacrifice to take ones own life for a cause.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think dying for a cause is universal, gives 'oomph' to a movie and pulls at viewer's strings and touches them which makes feel for the character in question more.

And then to real life:

With the Japanese, you have the Code of Bushido, so samurai would commit seppuku/hari kiki, which extended to the WW2 Banzai pilots.

Look at the terrorists responsible for 9/11/01 - Twin Towers tragedy. etc.

I have to rewatch House of Flying Daggers, acclaimed director Zhang Yimou may have been a little artsy on it, old man memory blocking me from remembering most of the movie, IIRC Andy Lau, Takashi Kaneshiro and Zhang Ziyi were in it. Not one to watch with my kids, it may be too slow/boring for them.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ACK! you stumped me! lol

Fenster,

Only one buddy ventured a guess, too little info. He thought it was Sammo Hung and Bryan Leung Kar-yan (aka "Beardy") in The Victim. Just watched it quick and didn't see the scene you described.

If it WAS a Shaw Bros movie, it's tough as most of the actors are muscular/lean/in-shape with Sammo the only one who was anywhere near fat in the 1970s. Naturally now 40 yrs later, he IS fat.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ACK! you stumped me! lol

Fenster,

Only one buddy ventured a guess, too little info. He thought it was Sammo Hung and Bryan Leung Kar-yan (aka "Beardy") in The Victim. Just watched it quick and didn't see the scene you described.

If it WAS a Shaw Bros movie, it's tough as most of the actors are muscular/lean/in-shape with Sammo the only one who was anywhere near fat in the 1970s. Naturally now 40 yrs later, he IS fat.

Actually The Victim may be the movie you are thinking of IF you take out your "pretty sure it's not Sammo" comment

Forward to 8:30 or so - Sammo is going to fight a Shaolin Monk (old man) - monk suggests instead of fighting they each hit each other. Sammo takes one in the gut, then he delivers one to the monk who is trying to hide the fact that he got hurt from the punch.

*prays this is it*

i'm anal about this type of stuff - it will eat and haunt me if we dont get it!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are a legend mate, yes that is the film, I started to think it wasn't Sammo because IMDB has the film listed under it's Chinese name without a synopsis. I was trying to remember this stuff from one viewing 20 years ago

Nice one.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information