Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Myth everyone rated Tyson as an ATG HW after Spinks fight (Video evidence inside)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Myth everyone rated Tyson as an ATG HW after Spinks fight (Video evidence ins

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    Just becuase you found a couple of examples and your dad and your mates didn't think it, doesn't make it a myth. The guy was even p4p number 1 in 88 (ahead of JCC, Azumah Nelson, Holyfield etc) Almost unheard of for a HW.
    Well as that was the first time p4p rankings were actually published? It was all unheard of
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Myth everyone rated Tyson as an ATG HW after Spinks fight (Video evidence ins

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    I wasn't even born during that time, but the guy was rated P4P number 1 as BIG H said. And destroyed a great fighter Michael Spinks in just over 1 minute. The guy was wrecking threw every Heayweight in his path.

And you can count on one hand how many clean hard shots he took in his prime, i heard at one point he was the 3rd most talked about person only behind Elvis and god himself. So that just shows no one had seen anything like Mike Tyson in boxing.
    OF COURSE people had seen things like him in boxing. He was just the latest and so a hot topic.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hulk. What's with the sig?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    I wasn't even born during that time, but the guy was rated P4P number 1 as BIG H said. And destroyed a great fighter Michael Spinks in just over 1 minute. The guy was wrecking threw every Heayweight in his path.

And you can count on one hand how many clean hard shots he took in his prime, i heard at one point he was the 3rd most talked about person only behind Elvis and god himself. So that just shows no one had seen anything like Mike Tyson in boxing.
    OF COURSE people had seen things like him in boxing. He was just the latest and so a hot topic.
    Which heavyweights?
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly mate - as I said in the other thread. If Tyson wasn't something special why has nobody before or since been talked about and caused so much excitement. It's not a coincidence or luck! He wasn't an Ali, i.e a great talker and a star outside the ring, he was dull as fuck outside the ring. He was just an awesome fighter
    Tyson DULL?? Are we talking about the same guy? Robin Givens, streetfight with Blood Greene, raised pigeons, former juvenile delinquent? Dull?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who exactly? Foreman yes, Liston maybe, and....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Which heavyweights?
    Dempsey (bigger than babe Ruth while Ruth was in his heydey), Louis (bigger than everyone at 22 and remained there for a decade), Liston (so scary even Patterson brought a disguise), Foreman (people were literally fearing for Ali's life) and Ali for starters.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Which heavyweights?
    Dempsey (bigger than babe Ruth while Ruth was in his heydey), Louis (bigger than everyone at 22 and remained there for a decade), Liston (so scary even Patterson brought a disguise), Foreman (people were literally fearing for Ali's life) and Ali for starters.
    I would say with some confidence that in terms of excitement created due to their efforts in the ring none of those names come close (great as they may actually have been)
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Which heavyweights?
    I would say with some confidence that in terms of excitement created due to their efforts in the ring none of those names come close (great as they may actually have been)
    THAT statement is INSANE! Jack Dempsey was THE star in the Golden Age of American sport. Bigger than Ruth, Bobby Jones, Bill Tilden, Red Grange, Knute Rockne and Notre Dame etc. He CREATED the event fight. He was so big he drew 100,000 person crowds and made a fortune making films while he was champion.

Foreman was literally thought to be life threatening, something I never heard said about Tyson. Exciting? Maybe not the right descriptive word. He was thought to be a bringer of doom.

Louis? Watch interviews or read the writings of prominent black political, literary and art figures who have commented on what their neighborhoods were like the night of Louis fights. Then read Jimmy Cannon or how President Roosevelt treated Louis before the second Schmeling fight. The respect and even awe in which Louis was held in his own time is demonstrable.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson had an aura and a raw presence. You can call it hype, marketing, fanfare, intensity, explosivness whatever but it did equal if not surpass his actual in the ring ability for me. Just because someone "knows" the name doesn't mean that they can give you an accurate account of his career and opposition. Last year I ran into this in the coffee shop, was talking loose about him being in the movies and a guy claiming "to love Tyson" turns and ask seriously if he can again reclaim a heavyweight title?! I say no man. He proceeds to get excited and almost imitate a fighter..."ahh come on brah, with that mean streak and power I hink he fo sho can"...THAT people is hype, some credible memory and an aura outrunning reality.

* I think you can lay a huge pet peeve at the Tyson talk as well. Its that power in and of itself is the ultimate end game but it can also be severly overrated. Everyone loves ko's and the finality of it but when a guy has to fall back, have some shake it off and shift gears to find victory that for me is when you really find out what they are made of. and maybe only then.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 07-19-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Tyson had an aura and a raw presence. You can call it hype, marketing, fanfare, intensity, explosivness whatever but it did equal if not surpass his actual in the ring ability for me. Just because someone "knows" the name doesn't mean that they can give you an accurate account of his career and opposition. Last year I ran into this in the coffee shop, was talking loose about him being in the movies and a guy claiming "to love Tyson" turns and ask seriously if he can again reclaim a heavyweight title?! I say no man. He proceeds to get excited and almost imitate a fighter..."ahh come on brah, with that mean streak and power I hink he fo sho can"...THAT people is hype, some credible memory and an aura outrunning reality.
    I will say though that I shook Tyson's hand at a party in 1987 and he was a scary, scary dude. How much of that was in my head and how much was the way he carried himself? I dunno. But I couldn't get away fast enough

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Which heavyweights?
    THAT statement is INSANE! Jack Dempsey was THE star in the Golden Age of American sport. Bigger than Ruth, Bobby Jones, Bill Tilden, Red Grange, Knute Rockne and Notre Dame etc. He CREATED the event fight. He was so big he drew 100,000 person crowds and made a fortune making films while he was champion.

Foreman was literally thought to be life threatening, something I never heard said about Tyson. Exciting? Maybe not the right descriptive word. He was thought to be a bringer of doom.

Louis? Watch interviews or read the writings of prominent black political, literary and art figures who have commented on what their neighborhoods were like the night of Louis fights. Then read Jimmy Cannon or how President Roosevelt treated Louis before the second Schmeling fight. The respect and even awe in which Louis was held in his own time is demonstrable.
    You are on a different planet!!

Mike Tyson is one of the most famous people who has ever lived!!

I kid you not, my wife's nan is staying with us as it's her 90th birthday tomorrow. I just asked her if she knew who George Foreman, or Jack Demsey were - she didn't! But she knew who Tyson was!

Elvis
    Ali
    Princess Diana
    Mother Theresa
    Michaelangelo
    Michale Jackson
    The Beatles

Mike Tyson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ask Lennox Lewis why he shit his pants, in his fight against Tyson. He had fear on his face, fear in his body language. Had to cheat the whole fight, didn't want to fight, just hold all night long. If you have to hold and cheat all fight long, you are a scared little pussy. Lewis should have been dq'd for holding. He wanted to hold Mikey all night long in his arms. Had size,weight and reach advantage and still was scared shitless of an almost shot Tyson. Lewis would have been sparked in the first round if not allowed to cheat. And this by an almost shot Tyson.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Which heavyweights?

I kid you not, my wife's nan is staying with us as it's her 90th birthday tomorrow. I just asked her if she knew who George Foreman, or Jack Demsey were - she didn't! But she knew who Tyson was!

Elvis
    Ali
    Princess Diana
    Mother Theresa
    Michaelangelo
    Michale Jackson
    The Beatles

Mike Tyson

Yeah, my planet didn't begin in 1985

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Which heavyweights?

Elvis
    Ali
    Princess Diana
    Mother Theresa
    Michaelangelo
    Michale Jackson
    The Beatles

Mike Tyson

Yeah, my planet didn't begin in 1985
    No, your planet ended in 1955
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd