Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Their Very Best Night

We often discuss a fighter's prime. Sometimes we discuss a shorter perio, his peak. Now I'm going one step further. In what single fight was he at his very best. If you wanted to show someone how good a given guy COULD BE? What fight do you show?

Some are pretty easy.

Joe Frazier UD15 Muhammad Ali
    Max Schmeling KO12 Joe Louis
    Barry McGuigan UD15 Antonio Cervantes

Here are some that in my view are true, but probably will cause some controversy

Tommy Hearns UD 15 Wilfredo Benitez-Hearns showed his offensive greatness in dropping El Radar and his boxing greatness by then outboxing him.

Azumah Nelson KO8 Jeff Fenech-The Professor at his arrogant, powerful and dangerous best on Fenech's home ground.

Matthew Saad Muhammad TKO14 Yaqui Lopez-This one is weird because to show Miracle Mathhew you have to show a fight he almost loses.

Joe Louis KO4 Max Baer-I just don't think he was ever any sharper.

Ricardo Lopez TKO12 Andy Tabanas-While his KO of Sorjaturong is more impressive? it didn't take long enough to really show Finito.

Where am I wrong and waddya got?
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Their Very Best Night

what about Hearns v Duran. The first man to KO him wasn't he at the time. And in quick brutal fashion
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought that the night Rafael Ruelas beat Freddie Pendleton was the best night of his life. Pendleton dropped him twice in the first (and twice later, which weren't ruled knockdowns), and the entire Forum would hold its breath every time he threw that rocket of a right hand, but Ruelas would not be denied that night.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benn KO10 McClellan - Mental heart/courage/determination. We shouldn't have enjoyed that but it was incredible.

Barrera KO1 Paul Lloyd - Savage.

Naz KO8 Robinson - New superstar.

Toney TKO9 Barkley - Masterclass.

Roy Jones KO/PTS Everyone pre-2002 - Amazing.

Calzaghe UD12 Lacy - justification.

Jackson KO4 Graham - he honestly didn't have a horseshoe in his glove.

Pac TKO8 Oscar - did that little dude really just humiliate him like that?

Wayne McCullough vs every punch ever landed on him - probable descendant of planet Krypton.
    Last edited by Fenster; 07-19-2011 at 05:01 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Winky beating Trinidad.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

ICB Guest

Ruben Olivares vs Lionel Rose
    Pernell Whitaker vs Miguel Santana
    Hector Samacho vs Jose Luis Ramirez
    Alexis Arguello vs Ruben Olivares
    Julio Cesar Chavez vs Ruben Castillo
    Terry Norris vs Simon Brown 2
    Larry Holmes vs Earnie Shavers 1
    Matthew Saad Muhammad vs Marvin Johnson 1
    Dwight Muhammad Qawi vs Matthew Saad Muhammad 2
    Michael Spinks vs Yaqui Lopez
    Chris Eubank vs John Jarvis
    Michael Watson vs Nigel Benn
    Juan Manuel Marquez vs Manny Pacquiao 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins Vs Trinidad: TKO12 - Huge underdog going into fight. Used excellent boxing ability, ring IQ and hard punching to totally overwhelm Trinidad and eventually stop him in the 12th.

Bradley Vs Holt: UD12 - Bradley got dropped hard early but came back and fought his heart out, was relentless every round, not caring whether he landed or not, just made sure he was making Holt work every minute. He went on to outwork and outpunch Holt to a clear UD win.

Cotto Vs Judah: TKO11 - Brutal beatdown. Cotto was losing early, also rocked a couple of times before taking over the fight with brutal punching and combinations and constant pressure. The ref ended Judah's beating in the 11th round.

Pacquiao Vs Cotto: TKO12
    - Brutal beatdown. Fast paced, both guys traded shots early on until Pacquiao took over in 4th with a huge left uppercut that dropped Cotto. From then on, Cotto was on the backfoot, trying to get away from Pacquiao's rapid combinations. He couldn't get away as Pacquiao left his face in a mess and the fight came to a halt in the final round.

Marquez Vs Diaz 1: TKO9 - A war from start to finish. Both guys traded blows constantly, not only showing there durability but their ring IQ and ability to put great combinations together. Marquez started to take over around the 7th, eventually dropping Diaz in the 9th round, then dropping him a second time with a brutal uppercut which immediately forced the ref to stop the bout.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    what about Hearns v Duran. The first man to KO him wasn't he at the time. And in quick brutal fashion
    I just don't think it was long enough or varied enough to explain Hearns. But I'm not surprised that you/someone would choose that instead.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    I thought that the night Rafael Ruelas beat Freddie Pendleton was the best night of his life. Pendleton dropped him twice in the first (and twice later, which weren't ruled knockdowns), and the entire Forum would hold its breath every time he threw that rocket of a right hand, but Ruelas would not be denied that night.
    VERY nice!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pugilistic View Post
    Hopkins Vs Trinidad: TKO12 - Huge underdog going into fight. Used excellent boxing ability, ring IQ and hard punching to totally overwhelm Trinidad and eventually stop him in the 12th.

Bradley Vs Holt: UD12 - Bradley got dropped hard early but came back and fought his heart out, was relentless every round, not caring whether he landed or not, just made sure he was making Holt work every minute. He went on to outwork and outpunch Holt to a clear UD win.

Cotto Vs Judah: TKO11 - Brutal beatdown. Cotto was losing early, also rocked a couple of times before taking over the fight with brutal punching and combinations and constant pressure. The ref ended Judah's beating in the 11th round.

- Brutal beatdown. Fast paced, both guys traded shots early on until Pacquiao took over in 4th with a huge left uppercut that dropped Cotto. From then on, Cotto was on the backfoot, trying to get away from Pacquiao's rapid combinations. He couldn't get away as Pacquiao left his face in a mess and the fight came to a halt in the final round.

Marquez Vs Diaz 1: TKO9 - A war from start to finish. Both guys traded blows constantly, not only showing there durability but their ring IQ and ability to put great combinations together. Marquez started to take over around the 7th, eventually dropping Diaz in the 9th round, then dropping him a second time with a brutal uppercut which immediately forced the ref to stop the bout.
    Nice ones. I agree on Manny and BHOP and I've been struggling with JMM. I think maybe Diaz is the right fight, but that turned in the third round when JMM sat on the ropes and began catching Diaz's punches with his hands like he was using focus mitts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    NICE list. I love that JMM's fight is one he didn't win. Good one.

Arguello-Olivares? Hmmmm. A little early for Alexis in my view.
    I almost picked the Marvin Johnson fight for Saad. Good one.
    Olivares-Rose is almost certainly the right call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post

Nice ones. I agree on Manny and BHOP and I've been struggling with JMM. I think maybe Diaz is the right fight, but that turned in the third round when JMM sat on the ropes and began catching Diaz's punches with his hands like he was using focus mitts
    Marquez's defense did improve early but Diaz still did relatively well with his pressure and combos right through till the 6th.

The 7th round was the round were Diaz started to fade and Marquez started landing more frequently.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Marquez's defense did improve early but Diaz still did relatively well with his pressure and combos right through till the 6th.

The 7th round was the round were Diaz started to fade and Marquez started landing more frequently.
    Yeah but Diaz lost his chance to win the fight in the third round. I'm gonna go watch that one again, it was fun. Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Yes!! he lost but the fact that there's an argument for many that he won is great! is there many fighters who have had such a bad 1st round and clawed their way back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah but Diaz lost his chance to win the fight in the third round. I'm gonna go watch that one again, it was fun. Thanks!
    You watch it again, great fight.

Thread Information