Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Their Very Best Night

Although Ali's performnce against Big Cat Williams as he was nicknamed was a great one, Mr. Wiolliams came back from being shot bin a holdup and was carrying three bullets. I don't know how much was taken out of him but I have to give him more than just credit for fighting Ali but he nade a greta comeback when he was shot and still was a top contender. Don't get me wrong, I didn't like everything Ali ever did but He was great in 1966. If someone has the information and it's not really that important but did Williams weigh in with three slugs? That is what I read about him in Ring Magazine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by johnsebastianmiran View Post
    Although Ali's performnce against Big Cat Williams as he was nicknamed was a great one, Mr. Wiolliams came back from being shot bin a holdup and was carrying three bullets. I don't know how much was taken out of him but I have to give him more than just credit for fighting Ali but he nade a greta comeback when he was shot and still was a top contender. Don't get me wrong, I didn't like everything Ali ever did but He was great in 1966. If someone has the information and it's not really that important but did Williams weigh in with three slugs? That is what I read about him in Ring Magazine.
    Williams was at his peak in the early 60's, only Sonny Liston easily beat him before
    that. He lost a SD to Terrell after knocking Terrell out in their previous fight. Inactive in 1965 due to the shooting, Williams was never the same again and was no match for a prime Ali. 58 KO wins in 78 is pretty good going.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Terrell was the role model for John Ruiz all that holding and wrestling probably frustrated Williams too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pac - DLH came to mind right away. I mean talk about executing a game plan flawlessly, he hardly was hit by a jab that night.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Meldrick Taylor vs James buddy Mcgirt...materpiece.
    Here's what's funny about that one. I was training at Gleason's in the runup to that fight and Buddy was training there. He was so sharp, so agile, so smart in his sparring I called my Dad and said "He's going to kill Meldrick. I've never seen someone look better in my life!"

Oops!

That experience really taught me just how big the gaps can be between good, very good, great, HOF and ATG kinds of categories. Buddy was always a very good fighter. That night? Meldrick was transcendant.
    I have always admired the boxing skills of Buddy McGirt, but you are right Whitaker and Taylor were great fighters and better than him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trinidad v Vargas
    Bowe V Holyfield
    Tyson v Berbick
    Pacquia v Margarito
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

jon09 Guest

Douglas vs Tyson
    Whitaker vs Chavez
    Mayweather vs Corrales
    Toney vs Holyfield
    Bhop vs Pavlik
    Sanders vs Klitschko

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm going to stick to fights from my lifetime for now, even if there are some old ones I'd love to pick out, I prefer to go off fighters whose careers have followed live & how I can remember my reactions to them. I've probably answered the question more as a kind of 'which fight defined them' thing, but meh it's close enough.

Mosley-Margarito. I know that the temptation would be to pick the first Oscar fight or one of his defences at LW & WW, but he really was great in this fight. He even had a round where Margarito seemed to be getting back into it & he again imposed himself. This remains one of my best upset picks in years of watching the sport, even if truthfully it was partly pushed by memories of my childhood worship of Sugar Shane. The fact was it made him once again the real welterweight champion of the world.

Hopkins-Pavlik. Again I know the Tito one would be obvious, but this fight really had everyone thinking Hopkins was shot. He was supposed to just be there to make up the numbers. The question wasn't would Pavlik beat him, it was 'would Pavlik KO him?'. I know after damn near everyone claimed they'd picked 'Nard, but I didn't see a lot of them pre-fight. Also that moment where he stared out into press row might just be my most spine-tingling moment in watching the sport. It also had a truly brilliant moment where Hopkins threw a bolo punch, landed, Pavlik stayed in covered up & Hopkins gave him a look that said 'C'mon son, give me SOMETHING'.

Mayweather-Corrales. A tough one to pick out as there are so many fights that could be Floyd's 'best night'. The fight with Genaro, in which he was amazingly a major underdog, could definitely be it, but this was probably the single most dominant performance between two top fighters in my lifetime. It was more of a shut-out than any other fight between two elite guys (& they both were at the time) than any other.

Pacquiao-Hatton. I may be a bit biased here as I was at the fight, but I believe this was Pacquiao at his perfect weight & regardless of how badly Hatton fought, if he'd even been at his best, I struggle to believe he would have lasted much longer. Awe-inspiring to have even been in the presence of greatness.

Corrales-Castillo 1. I don't need to say anymore really. If ever there was a fight that defined one man refusing on every level to be beat, it was this one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    I'm going to stick to fights from my lifetime for now, even if there are some old ones I'd love to pick out, I prefer to go off fighters whose careers have followed live & how I can remember my reactions to them. I've probably answered the question more as a kind of 'which fight defined them' thing, but meh it's close enough.

Mosley-Margarito. I know that the temptation would be to pick the first Oscar fight or one of his defences at LW & WW, but he really was great in this fight. He even had a round where Margarito seemed to be getting back into it & he again imposed himself. This remains one of my best upset picks in years of watching the sport, even if truthfully it was partly pushed by memories of my childhood worship of Sugar Shane. The fact was it made him once again the real welterweight champion of the world.

Hopkins-Pavlik. Again I know the Tito one would be obvious, but this fight really had everyone thinking Hopkins was shot. He was supposed to just be there to make up the numbers. The question wasn't would Pavlik beat him, it was 'would Pavlik KO him?'. I know after damn near everyone claimed they'd picked 'Nard, but I didn't see a lot of them pre-fight. Also that moment where he stared out into press row might just be my most spine-tingling moment in watching the sport. It also had a truly brilliant moment where Hopkins threw a bolo punch, landed, Pavlik stayed in covered up & Hopkins gave him a look that said 'C'mon son, give me SOMETHING'.

Mayweather-Corrales. A tough one to pick out as there are so many fights that could be Floyd's 'best night'. The fight with Genaro, in which he was amazingly a major underdog, could definitely be it, but this was probably the single most dominant performance between two top fighters in my lifetime. It was more of a shut-out than any other fight between two elite guys (& they both were at the time) than any other.

Pacquiao-Hatton. I may be a bit biased here as I was at the fight, but I believe this was Pacquiao at his perfect weight & regardless of how badly Hatton fought, if he'd even been at his best, I struggle to believe he would have lasted much longer. Awe-inspiring to have even been in the presence of greatness.

Corrales-Castillo 1. I don't need to say anymore really. If ever there was a fight that defined one man refusing on every level to be beat, it was this one.
    Wonderful post. A couple of things.

I remember being astonished when Margarito took his first step back against Mosley.

I may have been in the minority going in but there was no question my mind BHOP knew EXACTLY what to do to beat Pavlik. The only question was did he have the stamina anymore to do it for twelve rounds. My guess was probably not but that BHOP was a VERY live dog. I wasn't surprised by what I was watching. I was of course, extremely impressed.

I think those are Floyd's and Manny's finest performances as well.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm sorry but I just don't see how Pac-ODLH is his best night when clearly Pac has had better opposition and better performances.

I'm assuming that the thread is in regards to the very best night (vs. top opponents)

If that's not the case then I'd list 1st round KO's or early KO's for every fighter...

My point is to say Pac's very best night came vs. ODLH is selling Pac short.
    Anyone who for a split second thought ODLH stood a chance was not only blind but an utter fool and did not see the fight for what it was. Just a money making fight to catapult Pac to the next level.

With that being said I think Pac's best performance is vs. Hatton.
    Hatton was p4p top 10 at the time and had only lost once.
    Pac was fucken flawless that night and executed the plan picture perfect.

Others that come to mind:
    Griffith - Ortega 2
    Zapata - Olivo
    Sanchez - Lopez 2
    Whitaker - JLR 2
    Foster - Quarry
    Roman - Laciar 3
    Saldivar - Ramos
    Napoles - Cokes 1
    Tiger - Torres

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)