Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Floyd Mayweather, his style

Nice video, good to see Floyd get some props. Good point on how his bob and weave throws opponents off balance.
    If you think you can......you can, if you think you can't .......you're right!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, Andre Ward has a more obvious version of it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice video.

He rolls that shoulder and deflects shots with his forearm better than anyone of this generation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I enjoyed the breakdown of his style. A professional who is a friend of mine and loves Mayweather commented on this video, "I love Floyd but he never commits to his punches anymore". I think there is truth in that. Here is Pacquiao's imitation of Floyd, kind of funny:

http://youtu.be/clKb1scva0Y

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gocougars3 View Post
    I enjoyed the breakdown of his style. A professional who is a friend of mine and loves Mayweather commented on this video, "I love Floyd but he never commits to his punches anymore". I think there is truth in that. Here is Pacquiao's imitation of Floyd, kind of funny:
    Yeah that videos about a year old. Manny's imitation of Floyd.. give me a break. Funny in an I'm ignorant kind of way. Who's this friend? Floyd with brittle hands. Same song and dance since he fought at 135.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gocougars3 View Post

http://youtu.be/clKb1scva0Y
    I'd seen this vid a while back and the first thing I thought was Manny must realises that Mayweather 'having his legs' is the single biggest thread to Manny.

Quite revealing. Manny is STRONG on his feet and so the last thing Manny want's is a Mayweather who can break off anytime he fees like.
    Last edited by Jimanuel Boogustus; 08-08-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think there is are more subtle differences between Floyd at these other guys. Sure he changes his guard, and can roll around punches, but it's his ability to move and roll that really separates him from a guy like James Toney. Even Hopkins who isn't as slick as Toney, nor as athletic is harder to hit because he learned to move while rolling that front shoulder. Mayweather also likes to have one punch that dictates the range, he really uses his jab against orthodox fighters to keep his opponent on the defensive and to control space, while he uses his right hand vs southpaws and it was especially evident against Judah. Floyd doesn't try to outspeed fast opponents, he simply tries to bottle them up. He puts enough pressure that they feel pressed, but that he is still defensively in tact.

As for his punching power, I think Floyd has actually been hitting harder as of late. Recently he stunned a much larger Oscar on multiple occasions, he stopped Hatton before anyone else did, he knocked down Marquez and took his heart away, and he also stunned iron chinned Mosley multiple times. A few reasons why Floyd isn't going to stop guys regularly at welterweight.

1. He isn't a real welterweight, he is still much smaller than a real welterweight, Victor Ortiz is evidence of this. Floyd barely weighs over 150 pounds when he steps in the ring at this point in his career. He roughly had the same weight disadvantage against OScar that Pacquiao had against MArgarito. For a guy that isn't a huge puncher, that is big factor.
    2. He doesn't have flowing combinations. Sure they are quick, but every punch he throws has specific intent on it. Even in combinations every punch is thrown with the same technique as if it was by itself. This takes a little speed off his combinations, and it doesn't allow for the same power transfer from one punch to another. It also gives the opponent a split second more to adjust to the next punch coming. THey may not block it, but they can prepare for it. Whereas a Pacquiao is punching so fluidily and always changing angles that many of his punches catch opponents blind, while Floyd uses strategic angles, he doesn't often throw punches that an opponent won't see coming.
    3. He falls in behind his right hand. I really wish he would find a way to follow up after the right hand, but Floyd kind of leaps in, to a) close a larger gap b) fall into the opponent and stop them from throwing back. Now that works in terms of winning a fight and not getting it, but if he stepped in a little more confidently then pushed off his back foot for counter balance while twisting to his left hip, he would stay in balance and still be able to get shots off after he landed a big right hand. Against De La Hoya he kind of pot shotted because Oscar jab was stuffing his cross lane, but against Marquez and Mosley he couldn't follow up his rights hand because he falls into the opponent and he needs to regain balance with his right foot. Guys like Andre Ward and Pacquiao in particular have learned how to throw their jab after the right hand, further propelling that back leg forward, also allowing them to continue closing the distance on opponents while still throwing pnches. Now there are much better ways of doign this, but it's a start and would allow Floyd to keep his combinations going, while staying in better balance. Against Mosley he was commiting so well to his cross that he didn't need to worry about immediate retaliation, if he throws the cross through his opponent enough, they won't be able to get out of its way and counter over it, but that doesn't mean he should continue to fall in. He needs to step in more in the first place.

Anyways, there are so many pros and cons to his style like anyone elses, All in all he is the a best fighter I've ever seen, but there are a lot of things he could learn from other fighters who mix things up a little more offensively. He will have a very hard time trying to stand and time Pacquiao or Amir Khan, their styles are built to counter that specifically. They commit like I was saying with everything and that doesn't allow you the time to counter or set up because of they are in such good condition they just come in continual waves.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice.

I still see Floyd being able to adapt distance and disrupt their shots on the way in or their balance on the withdraw to give himself more time to deal with them; more than other straight fighters or counter punchers can do.

Some people specially as you get older you just cant outgun, so you disrupt their patterns and timing and shoot at your distance not theirs in between the off beat you just created.

I think he is till nimble enough and sharp of mind enough to break their styles up into sections and adjust it into his own fight and win on points.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ah thats a great vid .Thnaks Jim hadnt seen that before,going to have to watch that a few times to read what he's saying,instead of being fixed on the action.
    Wish I knew Spanish.

Love the way he utilizes his elbows and stays put so he is dealing with the storm from within the eye.

Also those little disruptive taps he places onto others arms during combos to pull the power out of them when he is caught on the ropes.

A minimalist master.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the vid was funny hahaha...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is another vid that highlights Floyd's use of head inside to keep his opponent off balance. Need to find that one...

*** Edit***

Can this be moved on the the main board?
    Last edited by Jimanuel Boogustus; 08-21-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just gonna ask why you posted it in that board
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In terms of the sweet science, I don't think it gets any better than Floyd. A true sports virtuoso.

As for Manny, hindsight is 20/20. Maybe he should have looked into some of that defense. I've never seen Floyd layed out on the canvas for a 10 count before, let alone 3 times like Manny.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    In terms of the sweet science, I don't think it gets any better than Floyd. A true sports virtuoso.

As for Manny, hindsight is 20/20. Maybe he should have looked into some of that defense. I've never seen Floyd layed out on the canvas for a 10 count before, let alone 3 times like Manny.
    Manny is a different person. Manny never had the unique privileges that Floyd enjoyed growing up around boxers, practically in the gym, under his father and uncle's tutelage. Pacquiao came to boxing later and fights with the same hunger that got him off the street. It may not be as pretty but it has taken him a long way. As for Floyd not losing or never having been knocked down that is a testament to his defensive skills but also a product of what is often a safety first style. There are fighters better than Floyd with losses and KO's on their record and every time somebody tries to pull that out like a trump card it kind of cheapens their logic for me. Floyd has 26 KO's in 46 fights, Manny has 38 in 61 so at a KO percentage of 61 and 64% there does not seem to be a huge difference between them but Styles will dictate that Pacquiao has always put himself in more precarious and dangerous situations than Floyd. If either changed their styles drastically they would not be as successful, it's what makes them the fighters they are.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Thread Information