0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Fighters who lost the generational hand over fight

Rocky Marciano beat Joe Louis
    Mike Tyson Beat Larry Holmes
    Floyd Mayweather and Pacman beat Oscar Delahoya
    Hector Camacho beat Roberto Duran

What fighter lost this fight? and how did affect the career of said fighter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fighters who lost the generational hand over fight

Anything

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting question:

Frazier V Ali 1 :The reason is, up until this fight Ali was considered unbeatable, the lay off for almost 3 years would affect him and the world had changed dramatically in that short time. The world of boxing changed completely after that fight. It took Ali three and a half years to regain the title.

Arguello V Olivares : The dynamo that was Ruben Olivares was stopped by Alexis Arguello after a great fight in November 1974 ( i had Olivares winning this up until round 12) the changing of the guard had arrived. Olivares had one last great win against Bobby Chacon some months later and that was it.

Leonard V Duran 2: This fight signaled the end of the aura of invincibility that Roberto Duran had in boxing circles for the previous 10 years. It was a strange, dramatic, puzzling and extremely disappointing result for a fighter who was already a legend by this time.

Hatton V Tszyu : The generational changeover that really didn't shock that many people, Hatton was 9 years younger than Tszyu who was injury prone and inactive for almost two and a half years with weight problems, fighting at home, with a local referee and he had the hunger. Tszyu approaching 36 was not going to win this fight.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    Interesting question:

Frazier V Ali 1 :The reason is, up until this fight Ali was considered unbeatable, the lay off for almost 3 years would affect him and the world had changed dramatically in that short time. The world of boxing changed completely after that fight. It took Ali three and a half years to regain the title.

Arguello V Olivares : The dynamo that was Ruben Olivares was stopped by Alexis Arguello after a great fight in November 1974 ( i had Olivares winning this up until round 12) the changing of the guard had arrived. Olivares had one last great win against Bobby Chacon some months later and that was it.

Leonard V Duran 2: This fight signaled the end of the aura of invincibility that Roberto Duran had in boxing circles for the previous 10 years. It was a strange, dramatic, puzzling and extremely disappointing result for a fighter who was already a legend by this time.

Hatton V Tszyu : The generational changeover that really didn't shock that many people, Hatton was 9 years younger than Tszyu who was injury prone and inactive for almost two and a half years with weight problems, fighting at home, with a local referee and he had the hunger. Tszyu approaching 36 was not going to win this fight.
    Disagree with your assessment of Tszyu - Hatton. There was a poll in Boxing Monthly, where 35 Boxing experts had to pick a winner, and 34 of them went for Tszyu....who was ranked p4p #3 at the time.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah Tszyu was a massive favourite in that fight.

Lacy getting stuffed by Calzaghe comes to mind.

Pavlik losing to Hopkins. Pascal losing to Hopkins, and who knows maybe Dawson losing to Hopkins.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting question:

This list is strange. Not sure you understood the question. Duran fought for about 20 years after his loss to Leonard, how was it a generational handover? Plus the younger guy won the fight.

What he means is which fights, between the old warhorse and young heir elect actually to the surprise of everyone went the way of the old warhorse.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Davey Moore getting battered by Roberto Duran would be a prime example.

James Toney beating the hell out of Vasily Jirov would be another.

And Lennox Lewis trouncing Michael Grant.

As well as when he beat Vitali Klitschko.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is way too soon, but how about Andre Ward over Mikkel Kessler.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    Interesting question:

Disagree with your assessment of Tszyu - Hatton. There was a poll in Boxing Monthly, where 35 Boxing experts had to pick a winner, and 34 of them went for Tszyu....who was ranked p4p #3 at the time.
    I can fully understand why they did too, his previous win was a stunning knockout over Mitchell in just 3 rounds. My point is i think people were clouded by that win, his first fight in almost 2 years and the fact he was approaching 36 all spelt danger to me. When i saw the weigh in i thought he was in trouble, he looked drawn and gaunt, it was no surprise that he didn't make it first go. Hatton was no bum and with age on his side and that real hunger and support in front of a home crowd Tszyu was doomed to failure.
    It was definitely a generational handover and Hatton did well with it for couple of years before meeting PBF.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting question:

I can fully understand why they did too, his previous win was a stunning knockout over Mitchell in just 3 rounds. My point is i think people were clouded by that win, his first fight in almost 2 years and the fact he was approaching 36 all spelt danger to me. When i saw the weigh in i thought he was in trouble, he looked drawn and gaunt, it was no surprise that he didn't make it first go. Hatton was no bum and with age on his side and that real hunger and support in front of a home crowd Tszyu was doomed to failure.
    It was definitely a generational handover and Hatton did well with it for couple of years before meeting PBF.
    Yeah but you said it didn't shock many people
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting question:

Not sure how much being 36 has to do with anything? He had had less fights than Hatton and no real wars! You could say that the inactivity was a nice rest. Anyway, it wasn't like he was out for 5 years like SRL against Hagler, he fought once in 2003, once in 2004 and once in 2005. If he was old and suffering from inactivity I think it would've showed in the fight that was less than 7 months earlier (Mitchell) I mean what exactly happened in those 7 months that took Tszyu from arguably his best win, to being old and bound to lose to Hatton
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pavlik v Hopkins

&

Hopkins v Pascal

Job Biscuit (That Hopkins has alot to say about himself)!!!

eh eh!!!
    It's nice to see you to see you nice

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pretty sure Fernando Vargas was favourite against Tito. He never won a big fight after that.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Pretty sure Fernando Vargas was favourite against Tito. He never won a big fight after that.
    Rubbish. Trinidad was a 7-5 favorite in the pay-per-view (TVKO) match.

CNNSI.com - Boxing - Vargas vs. Trinidad - Fighters make final preparations before fight - Friday December 29, 2000 12:36 AM

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

robin reid v carl froch
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Thread Information