Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Orlando Salido-Juanma Lopez II in February.. Juanma hasn't learned his lesson

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Orlando Salido-Juanma Lopez II in February.. Juanma hasn't learned his lesson

Former world champion Juan Manuel Lopez, who has a rematch with current WBO featherweight champion Orlando Salido in February in Puerto Rico, said he has an offer to train in Big Bear, California. “I’m continuing with my team,” he said, “it has led to 31 victories. The changes are the training camp and they’re talking about Big Bear. It seems that that Bob Arum wants us go there,” he said.

‘Juanma’ smirked when WBC/WBO bantamweight king Nonito Donaire, who wants to go up to 126 pounds, was mentioned as a future opponent. “He has said repeatedly that he wants to fight me. I’ll fight him as long as the company approves and the deal is right. It would be a good fight and interesting but if he wants it at 126 pounds it has to be soon because after 2012 I’m going to 130. After February, I’ll do another fight in June and at the end of the year

I was hoping he'd make adjustments and experiment things with Oliver but he didnt look that great despite the quick ko.. He got hit too much and it doesn't seem like he's trying to change at all.

If he goes into this bout with a brawler's mentality, he's going to get knocked out again..

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Orlando Salido-Juanma Lopez II in February.. Juanma hasn't learned his lesson

As much as it pains me to say it... and as much as I like and root for Juanma... I'm afraid I agree. I hate it when a fighter loses, then says "I'll just come back even harder the next time", and doesn't make any adjustments. Juanma in the early days was awesome. He seemed quicker, more defensive-minded... and the KO's came by themselves. He didn't go out looking for them. His quick right hook was a lethal weapon.

But time has passed, and Juanma has become enamoured of his own power. He probably blames his loss to Salido on: "I had a bad day", "the ref stopped it too fast", "I was distracted" (Granted, to his credit, he never has blamed his divorce proceedings during that time). But as far as I know, he's never said "I'll have to make some adjustments". So whatever. If he goes in with that brawler's mentality, he could get KO'ed again.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Orlando Salido-Juanma Lopez II in February.. Juanma hasn't learned his lesson

^^ Thirded. If he was going to learn his lesson, it surely would have been after the Rogers Mtagwa fight imo. It was frustrating to watch him against Salido and even Oliver to an extent, the guy really sells out for his power. It's not as though he sets it up from tricky angles either(although I'm sure he has the ability) he literally just throws the same short combinations over and over again. Unusual to watch such an athletic guy who has the ability to be a dynamic puncher try to land the same thing regardless of whats coming his way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He better not brawl again.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Juanma should win the rematch, but I'm not very confident
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he has all the technical ability in the world to box circles around Salido and win a lopsided decision, but Lopez is hell bent on trying to KO every guy he faces even if most of the time he takes damage that he didn't have to take and then gives away a less than stellar performance, IMO the last time that Juanma really fought like the Juanma of old was against Luevano, he took his time and patiently broke down his opponent, didn't rush it, and still walked away with the stoppage but as I said the night of the Oliver fight Lopez has learned nothing from the loss to Salido

all he would talk about was KO'ing Oliver in the build up to the fight, he's making a huge mistake taking the rematch in PR, IMO they should just do it in Vegas or MSG because the hometown crowd has a negative effect on him, he lets the crowd get to him then feels obligated to go and get the KO which well we know how that turned out against Salido the first time around

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    he has all the technical ability in the world to box circles around Salido and win a lopsided decision, but Lopez is hell bent on trying to KO every guy he faces even if most of the time he takes damage that he didn't have to take and then gives away a less than stellar performance, IMO the last time that Juanma really fought like the Juanma of old was against Luevano, he took his time and patiently broke down his opponent, didn't rush it, and still walked away with the stoppage but as I said the night of the Oliver fight Lopez has learned nothing from the loss to Salido

all he would talk about was KO'ing Oliver in the build up to the fight, he's making a huge mistake taking the rematch in PR, IMO they should just do it in Vegas or MSG because the hometown crowd has a negative effect on him, he lets the crowd get to him then feels obligated to go and get the KO which well we know how that turned out against Salido the first time around
    I agree.. It's funny cuz me and a Rican buddy of mine were talking about this the other day. Yea Juanma is capable of boxing but now he'd rather brawl after falling in love with his power. Fighting in his backyard has a negative effect on him cuz he gets suckered by the crowd. He forces the issue and tries too hard to show how macho he is.

I remember he used to be more composed before he destroyed Deleon.. That's when he started buying into his KO hype. He used to let the KO come to him rather than forcing it.

He should fight anywhere but Puerto Rico but he puts asses in the seats over there so it's better for business.

Thread Information