Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Emile Griffith

Here's the pictures from the party we had for Emile Griffith yesterday.

� Blog Archive � Emile Griffith

Just click on the picture to make it larger.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by hhascup; 11-28-2011 at 03:53 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Emile Griffith

Sadly, what Griffith will likely always be most remembered for, is his tragic 1962 fight with Benny "Kid" Paret, and his alleged homosexuality.

BTW, I watched the Paret fight live on ABC, with my family.

I read that Griffith requires full time care and suffers from pugilistic dementia, fortunately for him, he seems to have a lot of friends and family who care about him.

Good pics Henry, thanks for sharing.

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Sadly, what Griffith will likely always be most remembered for, is his tragic 1962 fight with Benny "Kid" Paret, and his alleged homosexuality.

I read that Griffith requires full time care and suffers from pugilistic dementia, fortunately for him, he seems to have a lot of friends and family who care about him.

cheers
    Yes, I attended the party yesterday with my wife Joyce. On the picture above, were the two on the right.

In 1995, long retired and dulled by alcohol, Emile walked out of a gay bar in Times Square carrying a few hundred dollars. When five teens jumped him, they did not know their tipsy chump was actually a champ. Emile fought back for a few minutes before a baseball bat did him in. Boom, crash, blood, again and again and again. Somehow, the former World Champion rose from the pavement on his own and made it back to Queens, bleeding internally, his bones broken, his head crushed. His brokenhearted Mommy and lover Luis sat at his hospital bedside for the next three months. The "secret," though, remained intact. The press respected him. Through it all, no one wants to admit "it."

"It," yeah. But "it" is true. Ask Charles Barkley, a truth-teller.

The damage to Emile's brain was irreversible; his memory eroded. Well into retirement, the spiral kept going. Though all those championship rounds had made him slow, it was the baseball bat that returned Emile to the simplicity of his childhood.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hhascup View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

cheers
    Yes, I attended the party yesterday with my wife Joyce. On the picture above, were the two on the right.

In 1995, long retired and dulled by alcohol, Emile walked out of a gay bar in Times Square carrying a few hundred dollars. When five teens jumped him, they did not know their tipsy chump was actually a champ. Emile fought back for a few minutes before a baseball bat did him in. Boom, crash, blood, again and again and again. Somehow, the former World Champion rose from the pavement on his own and made it back to Queens, bleeding internally, his bones broken, his head crushed. His brokenhearted Mommy and lover Luis sat at his hospital bedside for the next three months. The "secret," though, remained intact. The press respected him. Through it all, no one wants to admit "it."

"It," yeah. But "it" is true. Ask Charles Barkley, a truth-teller.

The damage to Emile's brain was irreversible; his memory eroded. Well into retirement, the spiral kept going. Though all those championship rounds had made him slow, it was the baseball bat that returned Emile to the simplicity of his childhood.
    I'd never read anything about the baseball bat incident, that's really sad. It seems like HBO did a documentary about Griffith a few years ago that touched on the homosexual thing, but I don't know if they discussed the horrible beating he took in 1995, they may have.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sad to see he's in that kind of condition.

I watched a really touching documentary on him called "Ring of Fire". It touched on a lot of the rumors and showed an emotional meeting between him and Benny Paret's son.

I think he should be an inspiration to the homosexual community, he broke a lot of the stereotypes and proved that a gay man doesn't have to be "weak" and can participate in sports just like any heterosexual.

Thread Information