Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cotto VS Mayweather...more competitve than Pac VS Mayweather

Cotto performed beautifully last night, showed great foot work, great gameplan, and a full tank to go all 12. I think the style he has perfected would give Mayweather alot more trouble than Pacquiao who rushes in and gets off balance pretty often.

Thoughts?
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto VS Mayweather...more competitve than Pac VS Mayweather

If the fight between Mayweather vs Cotto/Pac does happen it will be a few years late but either one will be a counter punching masterclass from Mayweather. I see Floyd stopping Cotto late on and getting a UD over Pac. As far as competitiveness goes I think Pac will still be more competitive due to his speed, awkward angles and southpaw style. Whereas Cotto is slower and will be easy for Mayweather to counter.

I don't see Cotto having anything to trouble Mayweather with whereas Pac does. So I think Pac is the more competitive fight for Mayweather.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

PAcman looked shit against Marquez but less we forget how he did even more damages to Margarito than Cotto did and how did beat Cotto decisively too. I think that styles make fights and that Marquez just has Pacquiao's number. Both fights are enticing but I am really jaded by the Pacman-Mayweather endless spurs. Plus, there is many other very intriguing bouts to be made around.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting read....

Miguel Cotto Gets Redemption, May Leave Top Rank to Fight Floyd Mayweather | BoxingInsider.com - Boxing | Boxing News

This would be a perfect oppurtunity for Floyd to move up in weight and get anothr title from a fighter he is better than but is coming off a big victory.

I think Cotto thinks more in the ring now and has more tools in the bag than Manny at least against a fighter like Floyd.
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto's hands are just too slow to give Mayweather any trouble.

Pacquiao dominated Cotto with his counter-punching, I would expect Mayweather to do the same and likely stop him.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Onix View Post
    Interesting read....

Miguel Cotto Gets Redemption, May Leave Top Rank to Fight Floyd Mayweather | BoxingInsider.com - Boxing | Boxing News

This would be a perfect oppurtunity for Floyd to move up in weight and get anothr title from a fighter he is better than but is coming off a big victory.

I think Cotto thinks more in the ring now and has more tools in the bag than Manny at least against a fighter like Floyd.
    The post fight interview with Cotto on boxnation here in the UK Cotto said that he won't be leaving top rank, then him and Bob Arum had a little hug and Arum couldn't stop smiling.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

El Kabong Guest

I've thought Cotto was trouble for PBF from the get go. Cotto has a good jab, solid pop, good timing. He would be tough for PBF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would still like to see this fight.

I think Mayweather would have his way with Cotto possibly stopping him late but Cotto has the ability to make things interesting especially with his jab.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I seriously dont think so. Cotto would get a beating similiar to Philip Ndou..
    Back in 07-08, it would have been competitive because Floyd hadn't fully grown into a WW and wasnt as strong, but today, he would give cotto a severe ass beating.

At least Pac is capable of putting up a fight for about 4 rounds but cotto would be a sitting duck from the opening bell..

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
    If the fight between Mayweather vs Cotto/Pac does happen it will be a few years late but either one will be a counter punching masterclass from Mayweather. I see Floyd stopping Cotto late on and getting a UD over Pac. As far as competitiveness goes I think Pac will still be more competitive due to his speed, awkward angles and southpaw style. Whereas Cotto is slower and will be easy for Mayweather to counter.

I don't see Cotto having anything to trouble Mayweather with whereas Pac does. So I think Pac is the more competitive fight for Mayweather.
    Excellent summary. I agree.

Cotto maybe the more clever, more cerebral boxer than Pacquaio, but he is slower and more shop worn. As well as an orthodox fighter and less explosive.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

Cotto maybe the more clever, more cerebral boxer than Pacquaio, but he is slower and more shop worn. As well as an orthodox fighter and less explosive.
    Yeah I agree with all of that as well. Cotto's best chance may be to try and make Floyd lead but being much slower he wouldn't have the chances to counter and doesn't generate enough power off the backfoot imo. If Cotto came forward trying to dig the body etc he would get counter punched to death. Manny would at least have some oppourtunities to sneak big shots in but would likely also just get smacked around off balance for as long as it lasted. I really think Floyd has a stranglehold on the sport as far as talent goes these days, I see Martinez being the best fight for him and that's only due to size.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

Yeah I agree with all of that as well. Cotto's best chance may be to try and make Floyd lead but being much slower he wouldn't have the chances to counter and doesn't generate enough power off the backfoot imo. If Cotto came forward trying to dig the body etc he would get counter punched to death. Manny would at least have some oppourtunities to sneak big shots in but would likely also just get smacked around off balance for as long as it lasted. I really think Floyd has a stranglehold on the sport as far as talent goes these days, I see Martinez being the best fight for him and that's only due to size.
    IF Mayweather can't make a fight with Pacquaio then he should fight Martinez at 160 for the middleweight championship of the world. Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Tommy Hearns, Oscar De La Hoya and Tito Trinidad all stepped up to the plate and faced the two greatest middleweight champions of all time. Why can't Floyd ? He's certainly grown into being a full fledged welterweight. He's def no smaller than Duran was.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto v Money would be competitive for the first 5-6 rounds after that Money will step on the gas and take it late on.

I see going a similar way to Mayweather v Hatton if im honest.

Still, I would like to see the fight, it would be another name on the Mayweather resume that when ya look back it will look good on. Cotto is one of the top fighters of this current generation.
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto hasn't looked the same since his loss to Margacheato in 08. Prior to that loss, a fight with Mayweather would have been brilliant. Since the talk of the fight in 07-08, Cotto has been in a few wars and looks worse for wear. This fight would make sense for Cotto though. He is only fighting money fights at this point in his career. I found it funny that one of the primary opponents that Cotto is considering to fight next is Chavez Jr. at 160. Really? It'll be a bout of two guys that ducked Martinez.

El Kabong Guest

OK, so Cotto is older more "shop worn" but that doesn't take away from his style matchup vs Mayweather. Cotto has a good jab, he can box or brawl, he moves well, he works to the body (used to do so a lot more), he can fight orthodox or southpaw very effectively, and he doesn't get easily frustrated...he keeps trying.

The difference for this fight would be that Pacquiao is more aggressive than Mayweather. Pac wants to get to you first and Mayweather wants you to come to him. Cotto will not have the handspeed advantage, but he will have a real trainer in his corner and his timing is very solid. Cotto also has big power in both hands and we've seen Floyd get hurt recently vs Zab and Mosley.

Would anyone be up for Cotto vs the winner of Berto-Ortiz 2?

Thread Information