530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing 101: Heart ≠ Stupidity

Ok, pay attention class (or just you, VD):

Heart DOES NOT EQUAL Stupidity.

Did you get that? There will be a quiz after I'm done. Now.... as all good professors should, I will proceed to explain myself. Try to follow me as best you can.

You've repeatedly said Cotto "has no heart", basically because he refused to trade haymakers with Margarito in the middle of the ring from the beginning of the fight. Correct? Ok, (and stay with me here)...... that is NOT lack of heart. That is lack of stupidity. Why? do you ask? Bear with me here.

Cotto wanted badly to get his revenge on Margarito, did he not? He felt Margarito had wronged him in their first fight by using the same plaster wraps he tried to use on Mosley. So this was personal.... VERY personal. Now.... Cotto knows several things. He knows Margarito has a tough chin. He knows Margarito took his shots well in their first fight, before bludgeoning Cotto with his plastered fists. He also knows he's 10 the boxer Margarito is. He's faster, he's got better ring generalship, etc, etc. So it stands to reason that Cotto, being the thinking man that he is, wanted to ensure that he didn't get caught cold in an early exchange with Margarito and throw away his chances of getting that revenge. He wanted to make SURE he could pound on Margarito and punish him.

So...... his strategy (again, part of boxing) was to box Margarito in the first few rounds... pound him while he was avoiding Margarito's shots (oh, BTW, a pause here just to refresh your memory that boxing is supposed to be about hitting WITHOUT getting hit). Not going too fast for you, am I sport?

Anyway, once Cotto tasted some of Margarito's punches and realized that MARGARITO AIN'T SHIT WITHOUT HIS PLASTER WRAPS, he then began stepping it up and got into some exchanges with Margarito. He would've maybe finished him off in the last few rounds, but the referee (damn him) humanely stopped it before Margarito became totally blind.

So tell me sport........ where in blazes do you get the deluded notion that Cotto has no heart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing 101: Heart ≠ Stupidity

people confuse heart with a great chin.

Margarito doesn't show great heart, he has shown a great chin. He can take the shots that others can't take. He was born with it.

Cotto is accused of not having heart because he took knees in the first fight. Which is a joke. He has heart, as he was getting beat the fuck up for quite a while before taking the knees. Cotto can't change the fact that his chin isn't very good.

Those that accuse Cotto of having no heart or guts need to watch the Clottey fight again. Cotto scored a knockdown in round 1 and had won at least 3 of the first 4 rounds on every card, meaning he was clearly up 4 pts. Cotto was cut by an accidental headbutt and it was examined. All he had to do was claim he couldn't see and it would have been stopped, gone to the cards, and he'd get a win. But he fought the entire fight with blood coming from the cut because he didn't want to win the fight by just saying stop it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by captainanddew View Post
    people confuse heart with a great chin.

Margarito doesn't show great heart, he has shown a great chin. He can take the shots that others can't take. He was born with it.

Cotto is accused of not having heart because he took knees in the first fight. Which is a joke. He has heart, as he was getting beat the fuck up for quite a while before taking the knees. Cotto can't change the fact that his chin isn't very good.

Those that accuse Cotto of having no heart or guts need to watch the Clottey fight again. Cotto scored a knockdown in round 1 and had won at least 3 of the first 4 rounds on every card, meaning he was clearly up 4 pts. Cotto was cut by an accidental headbutt and it was examined. All he had to do was claim he couldn't see and it would have been stopped, gone to the cards, and he'd get a win. But he fought the entire fight with blood coming from the cut because he didn't want to win the fight by just saying stop it.

Good point on Margarito and his chin. People DO confuse that with having a great heart. Totally unrelated. As for Cotto, people tend to forget that Cotto throughout his career has taken on the most difficult of opponents, and given it his all. He was in an all-out war with Ricardo Torres, and came close to being KO'ed himself, before he KO'ed Torres. He was in a war with Zab Judah. He was in the war you mentioned with Clottey. He's been bloodied, battered.... and always continues trying.

Against Margarito (1st fight) it was another story. Cotto was clearly dominating the fight, which took a sudden turn for the worse (for Cotto) in the 6th or 7th round. The sudden-ness of the turnaround, IMO, adds to the suspicion that Margarito was using plaster wraps against Cotto. From being basically unmarked, Cotto went to having a bloody, messed-up face. When he took a knee, he wasn't just quitting just because. He was preserving his health and maybe his life against someone who later turned out was a low-down cheat.

My personal opinion is that people who accuse Cotto of having no heart really don't know shit about boxing. And have obviously never been in the ring.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Again the thread starter misses the point. This really has very little to do with Boxing. I'm thinking that is something we can agree on. It was personal. Cotto's comments showed disgust and pure disdain towards Margarito. Perfectly understandable. It was personal. Get it? P.E.R.S.O.N.A.L. Personal. The man put his life in danger and pretty much mocked him afterwards. Dumbing it down even further for you, its means Margarito almost made Cotto go bye bye and than went Ha Ha afterwards. So with that much hostility and anger towards Margarito, one who think he would want to destroy Margarito. He didn't. What he did was fine if this was a simple boxing match. It wasn't. It was a grudge match set up for revenge purposes. It was personal. And you know it. Cotto told whoever would listen that he was done dirty. Yet when the time came for revenge he failed to take advantage of it. I respect Cotto as a fighter. Hard to respect him as a man. You obviously do cuz he's your man. And in your eyes he does no wrong

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Again the thread starter misses the point. This really has very little to do with Boxing. I'm thinking that is something we can agree on. It was personal. Cotto's comments showed disgust and pure disdain towards Margarito. Perfectly understandable. It was personal. Get it? P.E.R.S.O.N.A.L. Personal. The man put his life in danger and pretty much mocked him afterwards. Dumbing it down even further for you, its means Margarito almost made Cotto go bye bye and than went Ha Ha afterwards. So with that much hostility and anger towards Margarito, one who think he would want to destroy Margarito. He didn't. What he did was fine if this was a simple boxing match. It wasn't. It was a grudge match set up for revenge purposes. It was personal. And you know it. Cotto told whoever would listen that he was done dirty. Yet when the time came for revenge he failed to take advantage of it. I respect Cotto as a fighter. Hard to respect him as a man. You obviously do cuz he's your man. And in your eyes he does no wrong

I understand exactly what you mean in terms of expecting more of a battle from the opening bell because it was personal so you would think Cotto is going to do everything to just walk up to him and knock him out however you have to keep in mind that it is still his business so he cannot be emotional about it.

Cotto like all fighters has one main goal and that is to win fights so they can get more fights and better money, he has to be a professional about it which he was and when he had the chance he traded a bit to unload some of the personal stuff on Margarito, when he did that at the end of the fight Tony landed some shots and Cotto bloodied a bit and everyone who wanted Tony to win got excited but by that time it was too late as the eye was damaged and it appears Margarito wasnt able to stay strong and agressive the same way as he was in the first fight not to mention a noticeable difference in the way Tony's punches were affecting Cotto...they didnt affect him at all.

Trust me it chaps my ass too to hear these guys talk shit the way they do but again its the fight game you have to stay logical not emotional, Cotto did what any fighter should do in a fight no matter how personal it is for him.

These guys are right about Antonio Margarito, Tony has an incredible chin and all of a sudden he has no pop in his punch. He looked pretty amatuerish in the ring, very slow punches and Cotto still ran from him and he did look like he took some shots that busted him a bit at the end of the night and thats coming from a journeyman like Margarito with no pop in his punch so while in comparison to the first fight Cotto looked amazing, put into persepctive he did pretty good against a shitty fighter with no punch, no speed, and one eye.

I think even TitoFan and ElTerrible can see that their favorite fighter is quickly heading down hill, but he beat Margarito and thats the biggest win he will ever be remembered for, losing and then avenging a loss to a second rate fighter.
    Last edited by Onix; 12-06-2011 at 09:50 PM.
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you can try and play it any way you want Onix, but Cotto will be remembered for being a 3 weight class champion, who only lost his undefeated streak due to a man who had to cheat to beat him, no matter which way you try and spin it, the fact that Cotto was able to fight at a world level after taking cement to the face for 11 rounds is a bigger accomplishment than ANYTHING that plenty of other "highly" rated fighters have done, it's as simple as this, Cotto is a future HOF'er and Margarito is not

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Margarito looked pretty destroyed to me...did you see the state of his eye?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    you can try and play it any way you want Onix, but Cotto will be remembered for being a 3 weight class champion, who only lost his undefeated streak due to a man who had to cheat to beat him, no matter which way you try and spin it, the fact that Cotto was able to fight at a world level after taking cement to the face for 11 rounds is a bigger accomplishment than ANYTHING that plenty of other "highly" rated fighters have done, it's as simple as this, Cotto is a future HOF'er and Margarito is not

Im agreeing with you, but dont you agree that the Margarito fights will be the most remembered?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Onix View Post

Im agreeing with you, but dont you agree that the Margarito fights will be the most remembered?

Hey Onix.... you've probably been the most even-handed of the Margarito fans following the fight. I give you credit for that. And yeah..... you might be right. The Margarito fights will probably be right up there along with the fights Cotto will most be remembered for. Mostly due to the drama and controversy and the true hate that has accompanied there fights. Of course, there's the win over Mosley, and a handful of other memorable fights Cotto has had.

But I think El Terrible crushed that nail right on the head with his last statement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Hey Onix.... you've probably been the most even-handed of the Margarito fans following the fight. I give you credit for that. And yeah..... you might be right. The Margarito fights will probably be right up there along with the fights Cotto will most be remembered for. Mostly due to the drama and controversy and the true hate that has accompanied there fights. Of course, there's the win over Mosley, and a handful of other memorable fights Cotto has had.

But I think El Terrible crushed that nail right on the head with his last statement.
    I never said Margarito is a HOF'er...not even close. Again the guy looked slow, sloppy, and "curiously" weak. I dont think Cotto is a first ballot HOF'er as his biggest wins I would say are to an older (not shot) Shane Mosley and an exciting fight against Ricardo Torres I dont know that thats really HOF material, when he went up in level he got beat up by Pacquiao and regardless of wraps or not he lost to Margarito who is by all accounts a bum.

Just agreeing with your points and logic but again he will be remembered for losing and avenging his loss to Margarito...the bum.
    Last edited by Onix; 12-07-2011 at 01:22 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I understand exactly what you mean in terms of expecting more of a battle from the opening bell because it was personal so you would think Cotto is going to do everything to just walk up to him and knock him out however you have to keep in mind that it is still his business so he cannot be emotional about it.

Cotto like all fighters has one main goal and that is to win fights so they can get more fights and better money, he has to be a professional about it which he was and when he had the chance he traded a bit to unload some of the personal stuff on Margarito, when he did that at the end of the fight Tony landed some shots and Cotto bloodied a bit and everyone who wanted Tony to win got excited but by that time it was too late as the eye was damaged and it appears Margarito wasnt able to stay strong and agressive the same way as he was in the first fight not to mention a noticeable difference in the way Tony's punches were affecting Cotto...they didnt affect him at all.

Trust me it chaps my ass too to hear these guys talk shit the way they do but again its the fight game you have to stay logical not emotional, Cotto did what any fighter should do in a fight no matter how personal it is for him.

These guys are right about Antonio Margarito, Tony has an incredible chin and all of a sudden he has no pop in his punch. He looked pretty amatuerish in the ring, very slow punches and Cotto still ran from him and he did look like he took some shots that busted him a bit at the end of the night and thats coming from a journeyman like Margarito with no pop in his punch so while in comparison to the first fight Cotto looked amazing, put into persepctive he did pretty good against a shitty fighter with no punch, no speed, and one eye.

I think even TitoFan and ElTerrible can see that their favorite fighter is quickly heading down hill, but he beat Margarito and thats the biggest win he will ever be remembered for, losing and then avenging a loss to a second rate fighter.
    Finally someone who comes close to understanding. Cuz really that's what this issue has been all about. Cotto won the fight. Cotto was in control the whole fight. Don't even think it was a bad stoppage when it was stopped. But I don't think he got revenge the way he should of. That's my one issue with him. Hard to call something "getting revenge" when at the end of it all your still the one who took the most damage in the 2 fights you had. He disappointed in that regard. Based on the injustice done to him and the danger his life was placed in he should of tried to put Margarito in a body bag. But he didn't. Call it what you want. Excuse it any way you want. Bottom line is he didn't do it. He didn't even try. Everybody knows it. But his 2 biggest groupies start acting like lil hoez when it gets mentioned. Why? It's a fact

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Finally someone who comes close to understanding. Cuz really that's what this issue has been all about. Cotto won the fight. Cotto was in control the whole fight. Don't even think it was a bad stoppage when it was stopped. But I don't think he got revenge the way he should of. That's my one issue with him. Hard to call something "getting revenge" when at the end of it all your still the one who took the most damage in the 2 fights you had. He disappointed in that regard. Based on the injustice done to him and the danger his life was placed in he should of tried to put Margarito in a body bag. But he didn't. Call it what you want. Excuse it any way you want. Bottom line is he didn't do it. He didn't even try. Everybody knows it. But his 2 biggest groupies start acting like lil hoez when it gets mentioned. Why? It's a fact

Tell you what..... watch the fight again. Cotto didn't start trading with Margarito right away, but by the middle rounds, he was picking his spots to engage in exchanges with Margarito. He fought a smart fight. What the hell good would it have done him to go out there... all pissed off... get into a 1st round haymaker exchange with Margarito... maybe get caught and go down? NONE. Cotto wanted # 1 to make sure he won the fight. That was his first objective. You can't seriously debate that. (Well..... sigh..... I guess YOU probably will). Once he had his strategy set, he put it to use perfectly. He dominated Margarito. He pummeled Margarito at will. To be honest, I think it was Margarito that benefited from the stoppage by the doctor. Cotto had already warmed up to the exchanges and had more in the tank than Margarito. He had already caught some of Margarito's punches, and had determined that without the plaster, they were not having the same effect. The fight was over 12 rounds, not 10. I'm convinced Cotto had a good chance of stopping Margarito before the 12th round, had the cheater been allowed to continue.

You're being very hypocritical here. In the past I'm sure you've sung the praises of boxers who have administered a boxing clinic. Not bums who just run away and don't throw shots. I mean fighters who move around and avoid getting hit, but hit the other guy VERY much in the process. Were you not such a Cotto-hater, you would admit to these facts. But you've made it very clear now and in the past. You favor only Mexican, Tex-Mex, or Cal-Mex fighters..... and your bias against Puerto Rican fighters just oozes out of your pores.

We're not always going to agree..... that's what makes this forum interesting. But I will categorically state that I'm MUCH more objective than you when it comes to admitting you're wrong, or when your favorite fighter loses or screws up in some way. I've done it before, whereas I've NEVER seen you do it.

Bottom line here is: Cotto won the fight in dominating fashion. While he didn't put Margarito in a stretcher..... he DID beat the shit out of him. He (Cotto) insulted him before the fight.... ignored the cheater's stupid comments DURING the fight.... put a beating on the cheater's head..... then finally stared him down like the piece of shit scumbag that he is.

While it may not be satisfactory to you, it was VERY satisfying to me. Margarito was humiliated, proven to be a cheater not just against Mosley but very likely from before that, and just made into a non-factor going forward. Margarito can now proceed to slink off into obscurity, and no one will really give a shit. Oh..... and Margarito hates Cotto just as much or even more than Cotto hates him. So why rag on Cotto for not knocking Margarito out, when Margarito didn't get his knockout either? Any way you look at it, VD....... you're wrong and you know it.

Next.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HEart: the art of making hard sacrifices in order to get back into the thick of action without regard for the tears or blood taste.

Stupidity: the art of remaining in the thick if action without regard for the taste of tears of blood when you know you just won't win this one and that your health is now greatly at risk for no good reasons.

To quote Fenster, FACT.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i get what the Vaginal Discharge is saying...and the people arguing with him are missing the point.

i'll try to explain the confusion:

most of the posters who object to VD's statements are thinking of this situation as that of a pro boxer trying to avenge his first loss. they think cotto's primary concern is to beat margarito and sustain the least damage doing so thereby proving that he is a better boxer; who got beat by someone who was using illegal handwraps. by beating him fair and square he shows that he would not have lost to margarito without the assistance of the illegal handwraps. situation resolved.

VD is operating on the premise that cotto's life was put in danger and that he should therefore be trying to kill margarito. that he should have been trying to end his live in anyway he could regardless of the danger he may have been putting himself in. since cotto didn't kill him, or even try to, he failed miserably and showed that he has no heart.

VD seems to think that only murdering margarito could have resolved the situation for cotto. and by extension everyone else.

most boxing fans and cotto himself seem to be satisfied with resolving the situation in the ring. its legal, honest and true.

the confusion seems to stem from the differences between the Venerial Disease and the majority of the members of this site: VD is a bitch pussy and everyone else are real men(and where applicable women).

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post

i get what the Vaginal Discharge is saying...and the people arguing with him are missing the point.

i'll try to explain the confusion:

most of the posters who object to VD's statements are thinking of this situation as that of a pro boxer trying to avenge his first loss. they think cotto's primary concern is to beat margarito and sustain the least damage doing so thereby proving that he is a better boxer; who got beat by someone who was using illegal handwraps. by beating him fair and square he shows that he would not have lost to margarito without the assistance of the illegal handwraps. situation resolved.

VD is operating on the premise that cotto's life was put in danger and that he should therefore be trying to kill margarito. that he should have been trying to end his live in anyway he could regardless of the danger he may have been putting himself in. since cotto didn't kill him, or even try to, he failed miserably and showed that he has no heart.

VD seems to think that only murdering margarito could have resolved the situation for cotto. and by extension everyone else.

most boxing fans and cotto himself seem to be satisfied with resolving the situation in the ring. its legal, honest and true.

the confusion seems to stem from the differences between the Venerial Disease and the majority of the members of this site: VD is a bitch pussy and everyone else are real men(and where applicable women).
    Damn. It took one of forums dumbest fucking members to get it. Or close enough to getting it. Toothless Rocco might be legally retarded and still signs his name with crayon but he got what I'm saying. This was not about boxing. This was really all about revenge. Now Cotto didn't have to kill Margarito. But he should of at least tried. According to Cotto and his followers Margarito could of ended his career. He should of try and done the same.

Thread Information