Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your criticisms of the boxing programming at HBO/Showtime?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What are your criticisms of the boxing programming at HBO/Showtime?

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I think HBO need to get rid of Manny Steward and Jim Lampley. They are well past their sell by date. Meanwhile Larry Merchant needs a 50 year contract extension. He is hardcore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Onix View Post
    Get rid of Harold Lederman!!

He is obviously an in house judge but damn!! The guy is so jaded in his scoring its ridiculous.

The most annoying thing about his scoring is his inconsistent reasoning about why he gives fighters rounds.

For example:
    • Marquez Vs. Pacquiao - Lederman explaining his scores in the mid rounds saying that when a punch count is equal (it was right after a round that they both landed 10 punches) you have to give the round to the more aggressive fighter (Manny) He said it several times about how JMM's style is not appreciated by judges who like himself favor the agressive agressor.
    Ok Harold we will accept that reasoning, a few weeks later we have exibit B
    • Cotto VS Margarito -Mid rounds Lederman yells for joy saying "to all the boxing purists who ask if a fighter can win a fight while running away I say the answer is yes!!"
    Fire Lederman!!
    Switching up the announcers is another way they could improve. What are good examples of good sports announcing that HBO should try to imitate with choices in announcing? Personally, I believe Max Kellerman has grown into being a great announcer. I also still get a kick out of Larry Merchant. How many more years under the sun does he have remaining anyway?
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 12-30-2011 at 03:29 PM.

El Kabong Guest

I HATE Jim Grey...he's an annoying little shit and thank God James Toney scared the hell out of him

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I HATE Jim Grey...he's an annoying little shit
    Thank god someone here is being sensible. I was about to make the same response. Whereas Larry Merchant can make interviews uncomfortable in a good, aggressive way, Grey makes them uncomfortable in an awkward, cringeworthy way. And the guy has zero charisma; he seems nervous almost all of the time, like he's afraid of what the response to his questions/comments is going to be. I have no idea how he ever got into the sportscasting business -- totally wrong for the job.

I agree with Rantcatrat about Kellerman. I always liked him, but he's really matured and gotten quite good.

I sort of agree with miles about Lampley and Steward. Tarver has definitely surpassed Steward for me. But I don't love Showtime's version of Lampley either -- I can't even remember his name (not Gus Johnson -- the other one; Gus Johnson, btw, is obviously the very worst commentator to ever touch either network (both, in fact!)). Bernstein has always been a favorite of mine though.
    Last edited by shza; 12-31-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember I always used to get a kick out of HBO commentary. Just felt more authentic for a big fight but their bias is getting real boring, real fast!

Lederman has always been insane with his scoring. For example - Scoring the Oscar De La Hoya vs Molina fight for Molina when it was clearly Oscars fight.

Chavez vs Mayweather gave Chavez the first 2 rounds?? Insanity..and even the Lewis v Akinwade fight I noticed he gave Akinwade one of the first 3 rounds! LOL.

Ok he used to be insane but scoring against DLH was at least neutral. Now HBO's bias is getting boring. The JMM vs Pac fight was insane. Lederman, Lampley and Steward verbally felating Pac for things that aren't happening. It took Kellerman to calm these old folk down by saying "look I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the judges see it the opposite of you guys" (Good call on Kellerman btw - he's always been quite solid in my book)

Larry Merchant comes up with a gem every hour or so but he's like the naughty kid who just pipes up every so often. He needs time to think..a LOT of time.

Replace Steward with Roy Jones..why hasn't this happened yet?? Maybe because he's still active. Tarver as well has been great..charismatic boxers do a great job of explaining what's happening in a fight.

I'd say for the most part HBO could keep things the way they are if they weren't so damn biased! But Lederman is really only there for "ooooookay Jim.." these days

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That HBO quits being the Haymon Boxing Organization. I'm sick of Al Haymon's fighters getting overpaid and overhyped.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Onix View Post
    Get rid of Harold Lederman!!

He is obviously an in house judge but damn!! The guy is so jaded in his scoring its ridiculous.

The most annoying thing about his scoring is his inconsistent reasoning about why he gives fighters rounds.

For example:
    • Marquez Vs. Pacquiao - Lederman explaining his scores in the mid rounds saying that when a punch count is equal (it was right after a round that they both landed 10 punches) you have to give the round to the more aggressive fighter (Manny) He said it several times about how JMM's style is not appreciated by judges who like himself favor the agressive agressor.

Ok Harold we will accept that reasoning, a few weeks later we have exibit B
    • Cotto VS Margarito -Mid rounds Lederman yells for joy saying "to all the boxing purists who ask if a fighter can win a fight while running away I say the answer is yes!!"

Fire Lederman!!
    Harold is bar none the worst judge on TV. He's always been for the house fighter blatently and is just horrid.

The glaring example of this was when he had Panchito Bojado WINNING against Jesse James Leija after Leija schooled him all night. Even the rest of the announcers disagreed with Harold that night.

Its tragic he is fighting cancer right now and I wish him the best, but I really can't stand his judging most nights.

Also Lyle, I think your #5 should be #1. Bad judging and officiating is the worst offender in boxing today. Always has been.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz View Post
    I remember I always used to get a kick out of HBO commentary. Just felt more authentic for a big fight but their bias is getting real boring, real fast!

Lederman has always been insane with his scoring. For example - Scoring the Oscar De La Hoya vs Molina fight for Molina when it was clearly Oscars fight.

Chavez vs Mayweather gave Chavez the first 2 rounds?? Insanity..and even the Lewis v Akinwade fight I noticed he gave Akinwade one of the first 3 rounds! LOL.

Ok he used to be insane but scoring against DLH was at least neutral. Now HBO's bias is getting boring. The JMM vs Pac fight was insane. Lederman, Lampley and Steward verbally felating Pac for things that aren't happening. It took Kellerman to calm these old folk down by saying "look I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the judges see it the opposite of you guys" (Good call on Kellerman btw - he's always been quite solid in my book)

Larry Merchant comes up with a gem every hour or so but he's like the naughty kid who just pipes up every so often. He needs time to think..a LOT of time.

Replace Steward with Roy Jones..why hasn't this happened yet?? Maybe because he's still active. Tarver as well has been great..charismatic boxers do a great job of explaining what's happening in a fight.

I'd say for the most part HBO could keep things the way they are if they weren't so damn biased! But Lederman is really only there for "ooooookay Jim.." these days
    Jones , Kellerman and Larry should make up the HBO team. Bob Papa isn't all too bad either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ignore all alphabets and hope they'll go away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

showtime needs a better announce team. All they have to do is poach 1 announcer from HBO, and it would make a huge improvement

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would ask them to stop PPV or reduce it dramatically. Put more promotions on mainstream TV like Manny Pacquia on ABC, NBC etc as well as fights.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Id like to see the ring girls get more camera time on HBO cuz they are barely visible... HBO Boxing isn't exactly a PG program so I dont know why they are always blocking out the asses..

Showtime beats them in the ass department too..

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For Showtime (which I pay for) I usually have to find a stream for their fights because they aren't played live where I live. If a fight is on at 9 pm EDT, it will be on at 9 PM MDT (where I am right now) 2 hours later.

For HBO, I would like to see a weekly show maybe half an hour long that talks about the sport in general who the names are, what's going on etc. It would be an easy way to promote their fights and fighters. I would like to see some kind of system to their fights not just the routine of Upcoming star vs. Guy with a name that used be a contender. I think something that would help boxing would be making a big knockout bracket system top 4 fighters from each division, Showtime has done it and it makes sense. I want to be clear though keep it simple single elimination, semi-finals and final. Make the pay to the fighters contingent on their success in the tournament to give them incentive to push it to the limit.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Id like to see the ring girls get more camera time on HBO cuz they are barely visible... HBO Boxing isn't exactly a PG program so I dont know why they are always blocking out the asses..

You should watch the playboy channel if you want to watch some ass or go to the fight live if you want to see the ring girls. ESPN have some of the best ring girls anyway.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

You should watch the playboy channel if you want to watch some ass or go to the fight live if you want to see the ring girls. ESPN have some of the best ring girls anyway.
    Im more of an Adam and Eve type of guy, Master. Playboy has high quality girls but the programs are such a tease you know what I mean..

As far as I can remember, the hottest ring girls Ive seen live was at Paul Williams-Margarito card at the Home Depot Center.. some sick sick latinas with million dollar asses..

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Im more of an Adam and Eve type of guy, Master. Playboy has high quality girls but the programs are such a tease you know what I mean..

As far as I can remember, the hottest ring girls Ive seen live was at Paul Williams-Margarito card at the Home Depot Center.. some sick sick latinas with million dollar asses..
    Pictures would be appreciated, love the brown skin.

Thread Information