Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where does Andre Dirrell go from here?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Where does Andre Dirrell go from here?

He won his come-back fight with ease against Darryl Cunningham. However, Darryl Cunningham never connected with a punch so the questions surrounding Andre Dirrell's health status and his status in the division remain. Who should he face next? Kessler is tied up in Europe and it appears Froch and Bute are headed for a clash (or two). I doubt George Groves or James Degale step in the ring with Andre Dirrell anytime soon. A good opponent could be Sakio Bika; maybe on the undercard of Andre Dirrell versus Anthony Dirrell given that Ward will likely defend his title against Anthony Dirrell sometime in the next few months. It would be a good test to see where Dirrell is against a quality top ten opponent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dirrell should move up to light heavy as he won't fight ward so him being alive is pointless

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Where does Andre Dirrell go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    He won his come-back fight with ease against Darryl Cunningham. However, Darryl Cunningham never connected with a punch so the questions surrounding Andre Dirrell's health status and his status in the division remain. Who should he face next? Kessler is tied up in Europe and it appears Froch and Bute are headed for a clash (or two). I doubt George Groves or James Degale step in the ring with Andre Dirrell anytime soon. A good opponent could be Sakio Bika; maybe on the undercard of Andre Dirrell versus Anthony Dirrell given that Ward will likely defend his title against Anthony Dirrell sometime in the next few months. It would be a good test to see where Dirrell is against a quality top ten opponent.
    I read in Boxing News a few weeks ago that Ward wants to take a little break to spend some time with his family as his wife is pregnant. It said that means his return probably won't come until the autumn.

As for Dirrell there isn't much out there. Kessler is fighting Stieglitz, and Froch is likely to fight Bute, which eliminates 4 potential opponents. I would like to see him fight Froch again, I think he'd win it quite clearly this time around. For the time being Bika is probably the best opponent out there, there really aren't too many options given that Groves isn't ready, Johnson would be rather pointless, and everyone else in the top 10 is tied up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes he will beat Foch now Foch is old now.
    Ward will be stripped if he thinks he can take as much times as he pleases.
    Bute vs froch I want to see then froch vs Kessler for the wbo and ibf at wembly or somewhere like that

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Matrix deserves props for taking out Cunningham as early as he did cuz dude was no bum. Cunningham was supposed to face Pavlik before the drunk pulled out months ago and that fight sure wouldn't have ended as early.

Rant mentioned Bika. I suppose that's a good fight that'll test his nerves. Or he can face Allan Green at which ever weight cuz I remember he was pissed off by Green's comment of him being a quitter etc etc lol.. Dirrell claimed he was going to hurt Green the last i heard.

He should eventually work his way to a big name like Lucian Bute cuz he has the tools and the style to win that one fairly easily...

He needs a couple fights before taking on Ward but shit if he can get it, so be it. I think Dirrell is the only guy with the style that matches Ward's...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Cressa121 View Post
    I read in Boxing News a few weeks ago that Ward wants to take a little break to spend some time with his family as his wife is pregnant. It said that means his return probably won't come until the autumn.

As for Dirrell there isn't much out there. Kessler is fighting Stieglitz, and Froch is likely to fight Bute, which eliminates 4 potential opponents. I would like to see him fight Froch again, I think he'd win it quite clearly this time around. For the time being Bika is probably the best opponent out there, there really aren't too many options given that Groves isn't ready, Johnson would be rather pointless, and everyone else in the top 10 is tied up.
    I believe that was in response to taking on Lucian Bute now. I don't see how he can avoid facing Anthony Dirrell for too long without losing his title. It's an easy defense for Ward considering his recent opposition and takes care of a mandatory defense for a year.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Cressa121 View Post

I believe that was in response to taking on Lucian Bute now. I don't see how he can avoid facing Anthony Dirrell for too long without losing his title. It's an easy defense for Ward considering his recent opposition and takes care of a mandatory defense for a year.
    Well that's good news, I'd like to see Ward back in there soon enough. Beating Anthony Dirrell would perfectly set up a fight with Andre next year, which is a very interesting fight. I believe Andre is capable of beating Ward, so that's a fight I'd definitely like to see at some point over the next 18 months or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    The Matrix deserves props for taking out Cunningham as early as he did cuz dude was no bum. Cunningham was supposed to face Pavlik before the drunk pulled out months ago and that fight sure wouldn't have ended as early.

Rant mentioned Bika. I suppose that's a good fight that'll test his nerves. Or he can face Allan Green at which ever weight cuz I remember he was pissed off by Green's comment of him being a quitter etc etc lol.. Dirrell claimed he was going to hurt Green the last i heard.

He should eventually work his way to a big name like Lucian Bute cuz he has the tools and the style to win that one fairly easily...

He needs a couple fights before taking on Ward but shit if he can get it, so be it. I think Dirrell is the only guy with the style that matches Ward's...

I thought it had been established that Ward and Dirrell are very unlikely to fight each other.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LukeH View Post

I thought it had been established that Ward and Dirrell are very unlikely to fight each other.
    If ward and Dirrell don't fight then American boxing is corrupt and ward both should lose their licences forever. If you choose to avoid a fight and put ur family second then ur scum.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It seemed to many people that Dirrell dodged Ward by backing out of the S6 rather than face him. Dirrell adamantly denies it. Dirrell asserts that he would face Ward whenever and whereever.

Finito, Dirrell should work his way into the picture again. I agree with you there. Everyone wants to face Lucian Bute because he is the cash cow of the division (other than Mikkell Kessler in Denmark). Lucian Bute is fighting Carl Froch now, which everyone agrees is the fight Bute should be taking considering that he didn't participate in the S6. Let's assume that happens and let's assume for the sake of argument Bute wins. There's no reason Bute would face Dirrell next unless Dirrell makes some noise during the meantime. It's more likely Bute would face Kessler (money) or Ward (for best in the division) before fighting Dirrell unless Dirrell beat Ward...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dropanuke View Post

If ward and Dirrell don't fight then American boxing is corrupt and ward both should lose their licences forever. If you choose to avoid a fight and put ur family second then ur scum.
    Nothing has been established and you were misinformed. I understand there are fighters who are such good friends such as Montiel-Arce that a fight between them would never materalize but Dirrell and Ward aren't like that at all. Dirrell has mentioned many times and even recently that he wants a shot at Ward and Ward made a statement few days ago saying that Dirrell must earn his shot first..

Andre Ward is the main man of his division and Dirrell wouldn't hesitate to fight him. He's not going to turn down that golden opportunity to take the throne.. This is business and these two guys dont love each other like that..

Ward-Dirrell is the must..

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A look at Andre Dirrell's twitter account should be enough to disprove any rumours that he wants nothing to do with Ward. He might beat him too.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    A look at Andre Dirrell's twitter account should be enough to disprove any rumours that he wants nothing to do with Ward. He might beat him too.
    Since the fight was set to take place back in September/October 2010 I've felt Dirrell can and will beat Ward. I hope we do get to see it although Dirrell does need to work his way into contention first to get the shot.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Exactly..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When did Dirrell gain so much love on this Forum? It wasn't that long ago that many people were talking crap for him running in the Froch fight, then again for possibly faking in the Abraham fight. I think Dirrell is very talented, but the guy just fought for the first time in 21 months, and now he's gonna beat Ward? I agree he does have a the skill set to beat Ward, but let's see how his next fight goes then we can talk about a possible fight with Andre Ward.

With that being said with Froch, Bute, Kessler etc. being busy, i would say Bika, Andrade, Magee.

Thread Information